Parking for Ashton Gate
Posted by: Jimeno (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2016 07:57

I have parked in Bedminster cricket ground in Clanage Road - bottom of Rownham Hill.

Cost 5

It was once full (big match) which was problematic.

Also parked in the road near The Ashton pub but I would expect that to fill up pretty quick what with the monster crowds we'll be getting this season.

Any tips?

Re: Parking for Ashton Gate
Posted by: Nice Cuppa... (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2016 09:15

Flask of PG on the shuttle bus...

Posted by: Sara'sman (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2016 09:32

Firstly, congratulations on your promotion back to the Premiership - many of you have endured considerable heartbreak over the past few years. Hopefully that served to make last year even more rewarding.

Once the fixtures were announced, I started looking at options for our visit at the end of September. Since most of your fixtures are on Friday/Sunday have Bristol ever looked at using Long Ashton P&R? I believe it is closed both Friday evening and Sunday so could it not be opened profitably at say 5 per car? If the problem is a lack of a suitable pedestrian route might this be improved once the new road associated with reopening the Portishead line is built?

Looking forward to the 30th and my first visit to Bristol Rugby since before you abandoned the alphabet.

Posted by: Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2016 09:36

Quote:
Jimeno
I have parked in Bedminster cricket ground in Clanage Road - bottom of Rownham Hill.
Cost 5

It was once full (big match) which was problematic.

Also parked in the road near The Ashton pub but I would expect that to fill up pretty quick what with the monster crowds we'll be getting this season.

Any tips?

The road by the Ashton pub is full by approx 12.30 for City Saturday games and between 17.30 and 18.00 for evening games.
Parking in Autoease Vehicle Management for 7. On the slip road from southbound bus stop to A370. [www.google.co.uk]

Date: 15 August, 2016 09:42

Quote:
Sara'sman
Firstly, congratulations on your promotion back to the Premiership - many of you have endured considerable heartbreak over the past few years. Hopefully that served to make last year even more rewarding.
Once the fixtures were announced, I started looking at options for our visit at the end of September. Since most of your fixtures are on Friday/Sunday have Bristol ever looked at using Long Ashton P&R? I believe it is closed both Friday evening and Sunday so could it not be opened profitably at say 5 per car? If the problem is a lack of a suitable pedestrian route might this be improved once the new road associated with reopening the Portishead line is built?

Looking forward to the 30th and my first visit to Bristol Rugby since before you abandoned the alphabet.

P&R at Avonmouth, on A4 into Bristol from Avonmouth junction from M5 are running buses direct to/from Ashton Gate for Friday, Saturday and Sunday matches.

P&R at Long Ashton closes gates at 9pm evenings and I don't think it is open on Sundays.

Train to Bristol Parson Street; two stops south of Temple Meads on local trains for Friday evening but not much on Sundays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2016 09:43 by Cidered Abroad.

Posted by: rambling sid (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2016 10:32

As Long Ashton P and R has been mentioned, is there anything to stop a private agreement being made between Bristol Sport and the owners to open up Friday evenings/Sundays. It could be staffed independently and charge as appropriate. It seems ludicrous to have it there unused on big match days when it is needed.

Date: 15 August, 2016 10:41

Quote:
rambling sid
As Long Ashton P and R has been mentioned, is there anything to stop a private agreement being made between Bristol Sport and the owners to open up Friday evenings/Sundays. It could be staffed independently and charge as appropriate. It seems ludicrous to have it there unused on big match days when it is needed.

Yes - surely it's mostly used for commuter parking so Monday to Friday morning to evening. Matches are always outside those times so it would seem sensible for some arrangement to be made. I don't know how easy it is to walk between there and the stadium though.

Date: 15 August, 2016 10:51

Portishead rail line - Station at Ashton Gate.(Sm160)

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2016 11:33

For big crowd games at AG in the past I've always parked at the Ashton Park edge of Long Ashton. Good pub there as well which name escapes me. Free on street parking and just 10 to 15 mins quick walk to the stadium. Quite easy to get away from there as well

Posted by: NearAshtonGate (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2016 23:55

No probs parking when you're only 5 mins away :-)

Date: 16 August, 2016 07:58

Quote:
Jimeno
Quote:
rambling sid

Yes - surely it's mostly used for commuter parking so Monday to Friday morning to evening. Matches are always outside those times so it would seem sensible for some arrangement to be made. I don't know how easy it is to walk between there and the stadium though.

Very easy but as part of the route is an unlit grass verge alongside the slip road from A370, this is where the "Nanny State" rears it's ugly head. One is only talking about 150 metres at most but it is considered too dangerous for people to walk along this route. Thus no official parking deal will be agreed. That is my understanding of the situation about non use of Long Ashton P&R, although I see plenty of City fans walking from and to there when they are at home.

Posted by: Whagwan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2016 14:56

Now we're at the Gate I can make it on my bike from Totterdown in about 10minutes, if it's a Friday night game (or leaving the final this year at 2-3am) the ride/pushing of the bike home can take a fair bit longer though...

Date: 16 August, 2016 15:39

Quote:
Whagwan
Now we're at the Gate I can make it on my bike from Totterdown in about 10minutes, if it's a Friday night game (or leaving the final this year at 2-3am) the ride/pushing of the bike home can take a fair bit longer though...

It's not the hills that slow you down, is it?

Date: 27 August, 2016 10:23

For info, these are the times for Portway park and ride...

I note that for late matches, the first bus after the match leaves from The Robins at 21:45 which suggests that it would be easy enough to walk to Parson Street for a 22:00 train. Does that sound right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/08/2016 10:23 by Jimeno.

Date: 06 September, 2016 21:14

Looks like Long Ashton park and ride is a no-no for some reason.

Apparently it can get used for some things - like the balloon fiesta - but not for games at The Gate.

Seems very silly.

Bristol Post on the subject.

Quote:
Now, the Bristol Post can reveal that despite opening up other park and ride facilities at Portway and Brislington for specific match day bus services to City games, Bristol City Council did not include the most obvious car park nearby because of a protracted legal wrangle.
The huge car park is in North Somerset council area, part-owned by David Lloyd Sports and Bristol City Council, but operated by NCP, and the agreement governing its use stipulates it is for commuters and shoppers to go into the city centre on buses not football or rugby fans who could probably walk down the hill to the ground.

Council chiefs often manage to open up the facility for special events like the balloon fiesta or other festivals in the city but say they are not allowed to do it for the regular football or rugby games at Ashton Gate because of complicated and 'frustrating' restrictions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net