Our New Boss
Posted by: shaunp (IP Logged)
Date: 14 March, 2017 16:01

Just been wondering around The Mall at Cribbs and who do I see in M&S, only Pat Lam and his wife. I was abit star struck and before I could say hello and welcome him to Bristol he was gone down the escalator. I did think of running down after him but thought better of it.
The question is what was he doing here mid season, house hunting? (not in M&S I know) surely he would have gone to see the team or the coaches, I know one thing, he's big unit up close so wouldn't like to upset him. it was bizarre, one minute I'm bored out my mind being dragged around the shops then Pat Lam was stood in front of me. Made my day.(Sm150)

Re: Our New Boss
Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 14 March, 2017 17:22

Maybe he has some kind of M&S spotting hobby - Not many in Ireland. A bit worried if he has tbh so hopefully he was just here to buy a house he likes the look of before it goes up 10% by the summer &/or is bought by another mover down from London (coming down here buying up our houses, stealing our women and eating chewing gum and the like!)

Posted by: AGS (IP Logged)
Date: 14 March, 2017 18:23

I guess he may have been popping in on a training session at Clifton before meeting up with his other half at the mall.

Posted by: Cotman (IP Logged)
Date: 14 March, 2017 19:21

I hope he was here to sort contract's out for these new international signings Bristol are ment to be confirming.

Posted by: Peter_B (IP Logged)
Date: 14 March, 2017 19:26

Naturally you need to check out the local M & S's. Probably looked at John Lewis too.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Date: 14 March, 2017 20:19

Yep fair point Peter

Posted by: Pasty Exile (IP Logged)
Date: 15 March, 2017 08:29

Maybe he was checking up on the latest design from Bristol Sport for next seasons shirt?

[www.marksandspencer.com]

Date: 15 March, 2017 08:56

It will be available in November

Posted by: airdog (IP Logged)
Date: 15 March, 2017 08:58

and there will be red on it

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 15 March, 2017 21:15

He's being inducted into the Saints Hall of Fame tonight, so that's one reason he's over here. Makes sense to drop into the new hometown on the same trip.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

Posted by: Graham_U (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2017 10:23

He's a big family man, so maybe he was in the same boat as you Shuan (Sm105)

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Posted by: Brisman (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2017 19:35

An interesting insight into Pat Lam's methods and values.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: shaunp (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2017 09:14

Brisman, Mr Lam definitely can inspire with his passion for the game, I just hope that we in the west country can buy into his vision and values. There is something about Irish culture that he loves, he is coming from the tranquillity of the west coast of Ireland to a bustling city like Bristol I hope we can get his juices flowing here and he will soon realise we are also a passionate bunch of rugby fans who crave success.I for one am really looking forward to the journey with Pat Lam as our coach. can't wait.

Posted by: Albertfromla (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2017 09:30

Wow what a man If he can't inspire the Bristol players then no one can. Such a humble and knowledgeable guy. He makes no bones about it that he is coming to secure his family's future and that should be every fathers aim. I am sure that with his values and determination he is absolutely the right man for Bristol Lets hope he can persuade quality players to join us. After listening to the video I have no doubt that he will.

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 21 March, 2017 00:14

After watching that I still wonder if he'll do a similar job at Bristol or not. Lam doesn't sound enthusiastic about coming here at all, almost begrudgingly accepting that financial reward will help his family (and he says his wife is upset with the decision still?) ... certainly no excitement anywhere or talk of potentials anyway. Could be a recipe for disaster.

His arrival could also be something great too. I pray it's the latter.

Posted by: Paulie (IP Logged)
Date: 21 March, 2017 06:50

I wouldn't say he sounded unenthusiastic. He said he was excited about the challenge. It was an Irish show talking about Connaught and what came across was he was passionate and fallen in love with the place. Hopefully he'll feel the same way about here after 4 years. But quite often people have a time and a place and these things are always transferrable. So only time will tell. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: Graham_U (IP Logged)
Date: 21 March, 2017 13:20

I've had the same concerns Rinky since his original interview on the reasons for coming over. The one thing for sure is that the challenge at Bris, both personal and professional, is a totally different challenge at Connacht or any other of his clubs. I wonder if he can build something with Combo clubs and the academy region in the same way as he seemed to have build up the 5 counties culture over there.

Maybe someone at the club should send his wife that recent study about Bristol being the best place to live in the UK to help get her on side.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net