Current Page: 1 of 5
Flats and Shanks
Posted by: Wetsocks (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 10:20

I don't often post here, but I thought that you might be interested to hear the comments made by David Flatman about the current situation at Bristol. If you don't want to listen to all of their ramblings then cut to about 45 minutes into the podcast. It's interesting to say the least.

Link here: [flatsandshanks.com]

Re: Flats and Shanks
Posted by: EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 10:34

Quote:
Wetsocks
I don't often post here, but I thought that you might be interested to hear the comments made by David Flatman about the current situation at Bristol. If you don't want to listen to all of their ramblings then cut to about 45 minutes into the podcast. It's interesting to say the least.
Link here: [flatsandshanks.com]

I lost interest in what Flatman had to say after he jumped on the gossip/twitter bandwaggon about our early-release players - making vitriolic comments without any substantive information to back them up. IMO anything he says about Bristol comes from a prejudiced viewpoint. A long way of saying I wont be listening!

Posted by: Olly (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:05

What ever the truth is I want our club to issue a full and truthful and honest statement now and before any more damage is done. If it's true then sack the person responsible whoever that person may be and further more what ever is true remember we are rugby people. We have a tremendous belief in what's right and a good sense of fair play. There can be no place for this behaviour at Bristol.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Posted by: BigO (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:37

That makes for very depressing listening - especially the bit later in the podcast where they talk about Woodward having changed his mind about staying due to the behaviour of the club. If that's anywhere near true, it's a shocking indictment.

For what its worth, I don't think Flatman is the sort of bloke who'd make this stuff up just to make himself look good. I genuinely think he cares for the club and the people in it.

Based on the the boards (read Chris Booy) recent track record of generally cocking things up royally, I have little doubt that things have gone on that yet again tarnishes the reputation of the club.

To me, Booy seems to be completely untouchable and unaccountable - an almost dictatorial character. He only puts his head above the parapet when there's something good to say, and then retreats into chaos mode when things start to go wrong (where's he been since Sunday?). He is the captain of a blame culture, but it always seems to be somebody else at fault.

The club needs a cultural enema ASAP - starting at the very top - but with the current set-up I can't see how that's ever going to happen. It's like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 12:45

Or Labour MPs voting for an early General Election.

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 12:52

Quote:
BigO
That makes for very depressing listening - especially the bit later in the podcast where they talk about Woodward having changed his mind about staying due to the behaviour of the club. If that's anywhere near true, it's a shocking indictment.

If that is true, that's unforgivable. Woodward is potentially one of the best players in the entire English game, and if insensitivity/stupidity has cost us his services, heads should roll.

The only consolation is that I suspect its not true, and that for the sake of his career, Woodward was going to leave if relegated regardless of how the club behaved.

Posted by: Portisteve (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 13:00

I'm calling mountain out of molehill until I hear otherwise - remember arscotgate and sale earlier this year

Posted by: Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 13:05

To be fair a lot of what Flatman says is what a lot on here have said for nigh on the past 3 years (following the LW debacle). We all know there are problems at our club and it sounds as though we continue to refuse to learn any lessons in either good management or humility. It's been a couple of days since this story broke in the media but has the club commented on it? Nope. Why? Surely a statement is needed to either put the rumour mill to bed or to apologise for getting things so wrong.
Obviously, there may be some who've been released who may be bitter and have an axe to grind but it all sounds very fishy to me and a further example of the incompetence in the higher positions at the club. Perhaps we'll never know for sure.
God knows how Pat Lam is going to fix us if the main problems remain. When will we learn? For me, what is needed is for Mr Booy et al (including Taints) to come out with a massive apology to the fans and players for making so many mistakes with everything about this season - both from a playing perspective and from a management perspective. No shame in admitting you got it wrong and try and save some face so that our incumbent talent actually continue to want to buy into what is being built.
It so frustrating that we have so much potential and some of the best fans yet we will forever be sneered/laughed/scorned at unless something huge changes. Money DOES NOT buy respect.
Wake up Bristol. Please.

Posted by: Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 13:15

Flatman was (and perhaps still is) an RPA players rep, he therefore has player welfare issues at his heart and I can't blame him for having a pop at the club if there's any hint of truth in what's being reported. The club need to come out and either refute what's being said or clarify it pretty quickly to avoid any further harm. It would be a crying shame to lose a player like Woodward simply due to our off-field incompetence.

Posted by: Earlsbris (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 13:32

If this is all true it is pretty damning and as stated above sums up a lot of things that have happened over the last few years.

No issue with releasing players early but if the email thing is true then it is poor form and I agree that more is expected of the club. A statement would be a start.

They need to deal with whoever keeps causing these chronic foul-ups - you don't see them coming from Sarries

Posted by: chuckynut (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 13:38

If what he reports is true what a sad sad way to end the season and peoples' careers at our club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 13:47 by chuckynut.

Date: 19 April, 2017 13:44

Quote:
AlexInSouthville
The only consolation is that I suspect its not true, and that for the sake of his career, Woodward was going to leave if relegated regardless of how the club behaved.

I agree.

Why are we all being sucked in to Flatman's version of events. His job is to spread gossip and inuendo. This is the guy who gets his information from the proverbial friend of a friend. His response on being challenged about John Terry's less than savoury behaviour was to say he "knew" there was another side to those stories - his source? a friend of the Chelsea academy manager.

I'm not saying Bris have behaved well. I don't know. But neither does he. Let's wait for the facts.

Posted by: EC Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 14:44

God almighty. What a horror show. Do you really think he'd name check people if it's not true?

Taints for COO? Jeez, just another Booy patsy.

Our Club is beginning to make me ashamed. Never thought I'd type that.

Posted by: Paulie (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 14:47

EverOptimistic you should probably listen to it. Might make you change your tune. IF accurate then cowardly and shameful behaviour and the people in question should be off themselves.

Posted by: Jimeno (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 15:41

Unattributed gossip, rumourmongering and hearsay. I won't stoop to believing any of that without first hand corroboration.

Is Woodward leaving?

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 15:49

Quote:
EverOptimistic
Quote:
AlexInSouthville

I agree.

Why are we all being sucked in to Flatman's version of events. His job is to spread gossip and inuendo. This is the guy who gets his information from the proverbial friend of a friend. His response on being challenged about John Terry's less than savoury behaviour was to say he "knew" there was another side to those stories - his source? a friend of the Chelsea academy manager.

I'm not saying Bris have behaved well. I don't know. But neither does he. Let's wait for the facts.

When i said "i suspect it's not true", i didn't mean what has happened behind the scenes.....in that regard, Flatman is well-connected, and has no reason to fabricate or embellish.

My "i suspect it's not true" was related to the fact i think that Woodward would be leaving the club regardless of any behind-the-scenes faux pas.

Posted by: bennystoon (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 15:59

If true what a shameful way to carry on! What has happened to Bristol Rugby?

Date: 19 April, 2017 16:14

Well - I've listened to it now. I still don't know the truth behind this and I suspect the club have not behaved well but I do know for an undisputed fact that at least one injured player was kept on the books until he was declared fit, before being released.

I would dearly love the club to come out with a statement. But I do think Flatman seems to have a real axe to grind.

Posted by: Big Dave (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 17:40

If a tenth of this is true then this is absolutely disgusting and we should be better if we want to build the sort of club that will succeed.

If half of it is true then I am disgusted as people should not be treated like that.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 19:15

Please could someone say roughly how far into it the bit everyone is referring to is. Thanks

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net