Interesting Start To The Season
Posted by: Toby12 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 18:52

Looking at the early results in both the Prem. and Champ. there have already been some strange outcomes and it appears most teams in the respective leagues can 'turn over' each other.

Some people felt we would win our league early in the new year and I have never held these views. Should Ealing beat us next week we would need a few sides to beat them which won't be easy. Yes we have won all games but defence does not appear to be our greatest strength. Interestingly Ealing have a similar number of points put past them so this could possibly be exploited.

Thinking ahead should we go on to win the league it would be absolutely essential to tighten up our defence potentially through the signing of further players. The question is would we be able to attract top class signings possibly as late as March time.

I really do wish the lads the best of luck and if we keep winning then promotion will be achieved.

Re: Interesting Start To The Season
Posted by: Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 19:06

Whilst I agree that, on any given day, any team can beat each other (especially in the Championship), I don't believe that our defence is as shocking as some are lead to believe. Yes we struggled against Hartpury (but then who hasn't?) and also Pirates (again, who hasn't) but we kept Richmond to 5 who scored 26 against ET. As someone else has stated elsewhere, our defence is 3rd best at present and we have also scored well. Yes we have conceded TBP to Pirates and Bedford but so have ET and not many teams will keep those 2 from scoring tries (Bedford even ran in a few against Sarries pre-season). I think, we will continue to improve, as will our 'systems' and our ruthless streak. Some of our work on Saturday was breathtaking (forwards and backs) and I think we will do a number on ET as, despite their hammering of Scottish, I didn't think they did anything overall 'amazing'. Scottish were awful. What ET did do well was take every chance and, whilst they only kept Scottish to 12, it didn't look like Scottish would score even if ET weren't there - they butchered some chances.
As long as we attack like yesterday whilst improve our defence in any capacity, we should win and win well. Will be exciting as it will give us a good sense of where we are - ET are clearly our biggest threat.
C'MON BRIS!!!

Posted by: thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 23:14

Quote:
Toby12

I really do wish the lads the best of luck and if we keep winning then promotion will be achieved.

Insight is alive and well.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2017 12:07

Quote:
thorpebayexile
Quote:
Toby12

Insight is alive and well.

smiling smiley But isn't great this season to be able to say that if we win every game we WILL get promoted!! That assumes no strange bonus point scenario of course.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2017 12:24

It doesn't even require a strange bonus point situation to mean that winning all games doesn't see you promoted. A team could lose 2 games without gaining any bonus points from them but win all the rest with bonus points and end up with 100 points. That's more than you can get winning but dropping bonus points.

Worcester in their promotion season finished on 97 points even though they lost three games in the season.

Missing out on bonus points is potentially dangerous in a close race.

Posted by: TheVogon (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2017 18:18

Quote:
Motherrucker1982
also [struggled against] Pirates (again, who hasn't)
Jersey kept them to 1 try and 13 points.

Posted by: Graham_U (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2017 11:30

Winning the league is only the absolute minimum target this season, failure in that with our squad and the lack of a big funded opposition would be a disaster bigger than anything in robbo's era. Preparing for the Prem is vital, and measuring our current defence against champ opposition is currently no where near good enough standard. The we will score more than you may work in the champ, but we will be straight back down against Prem opposition. I'm expecting our defence to improve massively well before the end of the season.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net