Teams Up
Posted by: Pasty Exile (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 10:41

Bristol Rugby team to face London Scottish on Saturday, 7 October at Ashton Gate (2.30pm KO):

15. Mat Protheroe; 14. David Lemi, 13. Alapati Leiua, 12. Will Hurrell, 11. Tom Varndell; 10. Ian Madigan, 9. Andy Uren; 1. Ryan Bevington, 2. Jason Harris-Wright, 3. Gaston Cortes, 4. Joe Joyce, 5. Chris Vui, 6. Steven Luatua, 7. Dan Thomas, 8. Jordan Crane (c).

Replacements: 16. Max Crumpton, 17. Jack Cosgrove, 18. Alex Giltrow, 19. Jack Lam, 20. Rhodri Williams, 21. Billy Searle, 22. Jordan Williams.

UNAVAILABLE: Ollie Dawe (hamstring), Sione Faletau (foot), Jordon Liney (ankle), Sam Jeffries (hip), John Hawkins (knee), Joe Latta (ankle), Nick Haining (knee), Sam Bedlow (ankle), Siale Piutau (calf), George Perkins (groin), Luke Morahan (eye).

London Scottish (15-1):

Holland, Williams, Neal, Lyle, Scott, Sharp, Hoadley; Tyas, Marley, Eliet, Uanivi, Mills , Cringle, Miller, Harris.

Replacements: Austin, Christie, Waldren, Gillanders, Atkinson, Barton, Coombes.

Unavailable due to injury; centre Ben Mosses, flanker and 1st team captain Danny Kenny, scrum half Alex Walker, winger Connor Hayhow, back rowers Kyle Baillie and Chris Walker and prop Ewan McQuillin.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 12:12 by Pasty Exile.

Re: Teams Up
Posted by: thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:01

Strongest starting xv we've had.

Posted by: airdog (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:03

good to see young Matt getting a start at full back , a strong side should have no problems .

Posted by: robtheh (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:23

I fancy this one to be a big score.
As Im having to miss it through being on hols.
Would be my luck!

Posted by: Fatkatz (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:28

I suspect Scottish might be about to reap the whirlwind.

Posted by: youngone (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:54

well the fresh front row should offer some insight into whether our 2nd or front row was the issue last week at scrum time.

Ive personally been buzzing to see hurrell and leiua play together since leiuas signing was announced last year. Hurrell will have to get his distributing gloves on as he's no longer our only impact runner in midfield.

As said above, great to see MP starting at 15 and I also think its fantastic to see uren given the nod at 9.

Couldn't be looking forward to this one any more than I am.

Posted by: bs11 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:55

Obviously last week's front row was deemed to be at fault for the shambles of a scrum.

Posted by: youngone (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:15

is NFW injured?

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 13:33

Worried about having someone with limited ball skills at 12....it isn't a problem if you gear your gameplan towards it (Wales), but that isn't Lam's way of playing. Hope Hurell makes me eat my words.

Posted by: JamboBris (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 14:09

Quote:
AlexInSouthville
Worried about having someone with limited ball skills at 12....it isn't a problem if you gear your gameplan towards it (Wales), but that isn't Lam's way of playing. Hope Hurell makes me eat my words.

If you look at Scottish v Ealing they conceded a large number of tries simply from people running straight at them so can see why hurrell is given a shot. Made a big impact in 10mins last game too

Posted by: Bris Bob (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 16:46

Like that team selection

Posted by: Graham_U (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 16:53

I'd share that concern Alex, certainly not seen Hurrell's handling gloves before smiling smiley But if LS result against Ealing is anything to go by I hope Jambo is right.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Posted by: AGS (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 16:54

Will be interesting to see Varndell's defence against Williams, who always has a great turn of pace and seemed to have combined that with a bit of stamina in more recent years. I remember Williams diagonal run across the pitch to save a try which he had no right to get to, I think against Cardiff in the B&I?

Date: 06 October, 2017 17:15

Quote:
JamboBris
Quote:
AlexInSouthville

If you look at Scottish v Ealing they conceded a large number of tries simply from people running straight at them so can see why hurrell is given a shot. Made a big impact in 10mins last game too

Very true, they were abysmal against Ealing, and no doubt Hurrell will punch sufficient holes for us to win comfortably.

I guess my concern is that we learn and gain very little by winning games that way, and in the greater scheme of things (i.e. next year and beyond), would be much better off consistently playing the kind of game likely to succeed at the next level.

Posted by: NearAshtonGate (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 07:40

Quote:
AlexInSouthville
I guess my concern is that we learn and gain very little by winning games that way, and in the greater scheme of things (i.e. next year and beyond), would be much better off consistently playing the kind of game likely to succeed at the next level.

Maybe Pat wants to have a few game plans and today's game gives him a chance to try one of them? I can't see us playing the 'get it out wide' style when it's bucketing it down.

Date: 07 October, 2017 08:15

Quote:
NearAshtonGate
Quote:
AlexInSouthville

Maybe Pat wants to have a few game plans and today's game gives him a chance to try one of them? I can't see us playing the 'get it out wide' style when it's bucketing it down.

Fair point, I don't suppose we will be as open today, unfortunately

Posted by: foinavon (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 08:23

Quote:

Weather forecast for this afternoon is overcast but dry (Sm134)

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 09:04

Same second row as last week, we'll find out if this front row performs differently than last week's

Posted by: bris_rob (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 09:37

I like the way PL is using the whole squad and keeping players fresh and on their toes.

I know there are advantages to playing a settled starting XV but it's a long old season and changes would inevitably have to be made to cover for injured players and injuries are are more likely to occur if players are overplayed. Better to utilise the whole squad they're more than good enough and everyone knows the system that PL wants to play.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net