Current Page: 1 of 2
Today’s game
Posted by: robtheh (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 15:26

Couldn’t be there today.
How was it?
Any particular players/systems stand out?

Re: Today’s game
Posted by: Purpendicular (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 15:38

Clips on Twitter show us getting shoved around in the scrums again.

Posted by: JRZ92 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 15:53

Leaking yet more tries.

Posted by: delthedoor (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 15:58

Yep, top of the league, bonus point win, we're just@#$%&aren't we.

Posted by: NearAshtonGate (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 16:36

This is going to be interesting hearing other people's views on the game but in my opinion:
No leadership - Crane was pulled before half time and I don't know who assumed the role afterwards. Defence was so poor today that JT came on as Water Boy to give them instructions. Looked disjointed and very disappointing. How can we concede 4 tries when against a much better team in Ealing we only conceded 2? The plus points: Scrum was much better, Tom Varndell and Steven Luatua.

Date: 07 October, 2017 16:37

Also, separate note, is that Hurrell’s first try for us?

Posted by: Portisteve (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 16:49

Can’t grumble about 29 points from possible 30, but plenty to grumble about performance wise. Yet again leaving the gate a bit disappointed in the performance there are brief flashes of brilliance and invariably these lead to our tries but there doesn’t appear to be any cohesion and doesn’t seem much difference since preseason a good couple of months ago. Defence is still terrible

Posted by: foinavon (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:10

Solid result - the level of basic professionalism isn't great probably due to a recognition that an OK defensive performance is sufficient to beat most teams. So allowing the opposition 10 to take a tap to himself on a 22 restart or not being aware enough to even contest a short 10 metre restart - some lackadaisical defense, poor ball retention and lots of unnecessary lazy penalties.

No problem if that's enough for 5 points in most game - but there's the perennial question of whether the team can step up their focus when it might be needed after playing defense in second gear for most of the season.

Anyway an entertaining game and worth staying behind to watch the women's team beat Hartbury - all for £10

Posted by: AGS (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:16

Quote:
robtheh

And I think I saw his first ever pass too

Posted by: EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:18

My thoughts:

Always felt we were going to get a BP win. Well done lads.

We were again, playing pass the parcel with the ball. For whatever reason we don't take the tackle, or even make any ground, before offloading. Is that too much "process" coaching?

Today we seemed slow to get to the breakdown or to run with players making a break.

We fell asleep on several fairly critical occasions. Need to keep our concentration.

We were pretty predictable - except when we weren't! Would prefer we were unpredictable most of the time.

Scrum held its own first half - not so much after subs came on

Luatua, Leiua, Hurrell, Varndell all excellent

Think Protheroe, at this stage, should be used as an impact player when oppo legs are tired. Would start with Jordan Williams at FB.

Very relieved we are where we are, and that B&I cuo games are upon us to get things sorted.

Onwards and upwards

Date: 07 October, 2017 17:44

Cheers all, much appreciated.

I think foinavon’s post is most closely aligned to how I’m feeling at this stage of the season.
I’m beginning to wonder if Lam should’ve brought in a completely new backroom staff, and ditch Thomas, Petts & Bakewell.
Know we’re only 6 games in but as many have said, what the hell are we going be like next season, if we do go up?

We’ve literally just come down from the Prem bearing the marks of the lesson that you MUST have an adequate defence.

Maybe I’m overreacting this soon into the season.

Posted by: Portisteve (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:45

I don’t think so - hope we use this break wisely to really think about defence and coaching staff specifically

Posted by: Peter D (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:47

Hurrell scored one try indeed the Prem, so that doubled his tally.

Posted by: Paulie (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:56

I thought Vui had a good game as well. Can only assume Crane had an injury as he was one of the better players up until that point. Think Madigan needs to pick up his game to stay ahead of Searle and Sheedy.

Posted by: happyH (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 18:52

what is all this passing whilst standing still nonsense

run at the opposition comit man .
pass

simple

passing sideways without go forward = drift tackled and loss o yards

flat defense with little chip is a killer as demonstrated perfectly by Scottish

need to up our game

not good enough yet

Cmon Briss

Posted by: bs11 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 19:08

I can't believe they'd be coached to just shift the ball sideways hopefully just players trying to get used to the new systems still early days I suppose terrifying to think what a premiership side with good linespeed would do to our attack as it is right now.

Posted by: Olly (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 19:50

I’m begining to get the “Just enough feeling about our performances is far” Can they step up when required? it’s a long season Cardiff blues could be a big test depending on how seriously the clubs take the game.
Defence definitely needs to improve.
Attack needs to hit the ball at speed.
Scrum improving.
Premiership quality?? Well perhaps my view of things is A little over simplistic but a premiership team will score more against us than a Championship team and we will score less against them. So seeing so many try’s scored against us now to me is s worrying sign pointing to what can be expected next season unless improvements are made.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Posted by: Cotman (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 19:51

Quote:
robtheh

2nd try.

Posted by: chuckynut (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 21:08

Quote:
happyH
what is all this passing whilst standing still nonsense
run at the opposition comit man .
pass

simple

passing sideways without go forward = drift tackled and loss o yards

Cmon Briss

I guess the logic is that if you can have quick hands and put in 2 or 3 quick passes it then means you can get your big carriers running wider and at different angles off the static players. It does look very high risk to me, especially given how flat they have tended to do it but it has confused the opposition a few times.

With the defending sides tending to not compete the ruck so heavily there is now limited space close in. Other sides are dealing with this by running from deep from a long way behind the gain line and the std bashing it up close in, both of which also have the draw backs so can see why we are trying another variation.

If there's any benefit to playing in this league this season is that it gives us the freedom to try new things so wouldn't be too concerned about this.

Generally, I think the intricacy and creativity we've shown in attack this season is a step up from the last few years, whether it will be enough to break down better defences only time will tell.

Posted by: Bristol Ian (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 22:14

I watched the All Blacks this afternoon and they did a LOAD of similar, small passes (admittedly a lot more fluidly) - I can only guess that it's to do with fixing defenders. If the ball is passed through 3 pairs of hands (quickly), 3 defenders still have to keep an eye on their man - let the ball do the work, etc. I'm sure the majority of the boys do it brilliantly in training, but reproducing the same thing in a fast paced match is something else entirely. We've still only had 6 games and very very few have played in all six. It's still going to take a while for the system to bed in - it will get better!

[Edit: I'm not trying to claim we're the next All Blacks - I just don't get the continual bashing of something that is clearly a work in progress...]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 22:15 by Bristol Ian.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net