Rhys Webb & Wales
Posted by: Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 18:42

I'd like to get this off my chest, but I'd like other people's view.

So Rhys decides to grab some money by going to Toulon. I've got no problems with that. But he knows that the Gatland's Law ALREADY exists permitting only 4 Welsh players (going down to 2 in 19/20) who play outside of Wales to be selected. But he decides to take that risk. Now, it's been stated that he was told about the change in the selection policy (only players with 60 or more caps who play outside Wales may be selected) but he states he didn't know. To be honest it doesn't matter whether he did or didn't. He decided 'he wanted his cake and eat it' (i.e Toulon money and playing for Wales). Now it hasn't gone his way he's crying 'Heartbroken' about not being able to play for Wales. Well I'm sorry Rhys - you laid your bed - now sleep in it! You whimpering fool!

Re: Rhys Webb & Wales
Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 19:04

The puerile comment at the end invalidated what little merit there was in the rest of your post

Date: 20 October, 2017 19:41

I think my final comment is probably at the same level as Rhys' whining!

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 19:59

Not really the same....he is a British Lion "whining" about no longer being able to wear his national jersey.....you are an anonymous keyboard warrior spending his Friday night whining about some guy you have seen on tv a few times

Date: 20 October, 2017 20:24

Well Rhys was in total control of his own future! Stay in Wales and retain his Welsh jersey or go to France, take the money and risk his national position! He took the latter and now he's whining! Is that not true Alex? Or am I lying?

Posted by: Prop Joe (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 20:25

Rugby is a professional sport. Quite honestly as long as you are available when your country wants you, you should be able to play wherever you choose. And yes, I know rules are rules.

Date: 20 October, 2017 20:42

Alex - if you want to start making comparisons between me and Rhys (as you seem to be going down that route) I'd say he's more brainless than me. Whereas I never had the option - he had the opportunity but gave it up for money!

Posted by: Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 21:09

Difference between old policy and new is that he took a calculated risk on the basis that he (reasonably IMHO) thought he would be one of the two/four exceptions under Gatlands law and could, on merit, still play for wales, whereas now he has no chance to pay for wales because the policy is one based on length of service rather than the player's ability. I can understand why he is miffed.

Posted by: hooter (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 21:34

Letís be honest the guy is looking out for his self and his familyís future by going to Toulon, he could get a injury which ends his career at any time so I donít blame him for taking the money.

Posted by: Earlsbris (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 23:39

Quote:
Standardprocedure
Difference between old policy and new is that he took a calculated risk on the basis that he (reasonably IMHO) thought he would be one of the two/four exceptions under Gatlands law and could, on merit, still play for wales, whereas now he has no chance to pay for wales because the policy is one based on length of service rather than the player's ability. I can understand why he is miffed.

100%!

Canít blame any player for looking out for their future and family. When he signed he was still eligible for wales (if playing well enough) and now he is not regardless of performance - he has every right to be @#$%& off, especially as he has done his service to regional rugby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/10/2017 23:40 by Earlsbris.

Posted by: Olly (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 01:09

Welsh rugby as a whole is in a mess in my opinion. Whatís the point in us for example nurturing a young lad from wales only for him to be forced back across the Severn at the end of his contract with no chance of Bristol extending the contract just Because of a mere hint of him playing for Wales. Iím not criticising any player harbouring the wish to represent his country to do so is a hugely proud moment in any career but does it then under the new rules put other clubs off employing Welsh players?? All players should have the right to play where they wish in my opinion with the restrictions faced by the Welsh.
You then have the question of the welsh clubs from what I hear then attendance and atmosphere at Ponty was a pale shadow of the great club it once was. I well understand why the fans have lost interest and once lost they will be gone for good.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Posted by: groovybaz (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 04:56

Replace Rhys Webb with Luatua. Pretty much scenario really....
Money and security over caps is happening more and more til selection policies change

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 10:12

I'm a club before country person to be honest but I do think Webb has been badly done to for reasons stated above.

Small aside, Ospreys attendance vs Clermont last weekend in the Champions cup was shocking; 7100. We have more in the second tier and without the likes of national heroes on the pitch like AWJ, Webb, Biggar, etc.

Posted by: gran (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 14:26

Rinkadink, you are spot on. Attendances are very worrying throughout world rugby. In contrast, and not to diminish the point, it was disheartening to see a half empty stadium in Sydney for the previous AB v Oz match but great to see a full house in Brisbane for a wonderful match todayl

Posted by: Platwell House (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2017 07:26

Rhys has done what it takes to provide security for his family. No different to Luatua.

Watched a programme on Youtube a few years back about Rugby League in the 60's and 70's how they tried to get union players to jump the fence. They went to great lengths in turning up whilst players were at the day job offering their young wives fully paid up houses and big salaries for their husbands to switch. This is no different to today except now you won't play for your country unless you come home. Good luck Rhys, you deserve the cash and the riveria lifestyle for your talent.

Posted by: Graham_U (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2017 11:06

There is a world of difference from taking the risk of being one of the 4 or 2 best players outside Wales, which when fit Rhys would have been over the last few seasons, and being told your out because your not got enough caps. From what I've heard he had signed before knowing this, but in ,y view it will be the WRU who will loose most.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Posted by: Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2017 11:45

I can understand why Gatland and the WRU decided to impose these conditions and assume it is that up and coming players are given a better opportunity to play for their country. And also benefit by playing their club rugby with the current internationals in the club side.

But that assumes that these youngsters or those older but who have stayed at home, are equal to or better than those who want to play their club rugby at the highest level.

As the days of the amateur game are long gone when moving to another club hardly existed except when one's work made it a necessity, it does appear to be a rather extreme rule. A professional sport must allow it's players to have the same right to choose their employer as everyone else has.

As a Welsh supporter, I wonder how detrimental it could be in the long term to the National team's success.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net