Current Page: 1 of 3
Dire
Posted by: Sarzy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 14:47

Startled rabbits in headlights describes Bristol United this afternoon, absolute shocker two hours of my life I won't get back. Run forward and keep hold of the ball is just one thing I'd mention to the squad in the changing room! Felt sorry for Will Hurrell today he couldn't do it on his own!!!

Re: Dire
Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 14:49

What happened?

Didn't go today as the weather was awful, it's a united game and I haven't missed a game yet this season. Sounds like bullet dodged?

Posted by: KJS (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 15:01

Well at least that settles the Sheedy versus Searle debate...... Billy all day long, every day.

Posted by: Blackthorn drinker (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 15:13

Very poor, worst performance I have seen for a very long time I know we were playing a lot of our academy lads but they are just not up to the job there appeared to be no leaders on the pitch and no one grabbed hold of the ball and led the way. By all means play a couple of young lads but they need experienced guys to show them the way if it was not part of my season ticket I would of asked for my money back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/10/2017 15:17 by Blackthorn drinker.

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 15:15

Quote:
KJS
Well at least that settles the Sheedy versus Searle debate...... Billy all day long, every day.

I feel for Sheedy, or indeed any 10 in that attacking system.....job is to just ship the ball on for the 4 to be the playmaker.

It looked *slightly* better in the second half, with gaps opening up in the 13 channel, but still not great. You can see what thy are trying to do, they at are jut doing it too slowly and far far too deep

Posted by: hooter (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 15:22

That was the first time in all the years Iíve been supporting bristol that I have even left early, in future will be reading the team sheet to see whoís playing. If there not going to treat the B&I cup seriously why donít they playe it at cleve or another combination club

Posted by: JamboBris (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 15:23

Very few positives. Wallace and Edwards didn't do anything to enhance their chances. Chapman made meters first half then dropped off. The number of times Batley was passed the ball just to ship it to a prop was frustrating to put it mildly.

Posted by: Fatkatz (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 15:24

It wasnít great by any standards - he says sitting at Parsons St on way home. But the reality is a Bristol combination/academy side were not good enough for Donnie. It was nothing more or less - except perhaps an indication that the League is correctly the be all and end all of our ambition this season. My only real concern is will the 1st XXIII be undercooked for Jersey.

Posted by: Fatkatz (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 15:40

That said - great to see Daz playing in the bar!

Posted by: Thorney (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 15:56

United were so obviously a scratch team told to play the static "pass the parcel" game and without the authority or nouse to change it. I am not sure of the point unless the hope is to lure the opposition into a state of complacency before someone suddenly makes a killer break, rather like Protheroe against Ealing. In this game it just gifted territory to Donny time and time again without them having to worry about winning the ball to do it.

A few did show glimpses of good individual skills, and I would include Sheedy and Cullen among that group, but when surrounded by chaos it is difficult for anyone to stand out. So, while it is commendable to give the academy boys a chance, surely they would benefit more from having a few more experienced heads around them?

Posted by: Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 16:49

I have to agree - this wasnít a full strength Donny but there was enough that would be around their first choice 22, especially in the pack. This wasnít even our 3rd choice side and it showed. Iím all for giving the young lads some rugby but they need some direction and leadership. I can see Hurrell/Wallace/Edwards and Fenton-Wells being farmed out next year. I know the B&I cup is a nonsense but we should be looking to dominate every team who plays us at AG. Weíre not known for our Psychological edge at the best of times and allowing teams to come to us and beat us/cause us trouble, is not going to help. And, some of our players will now have not laced up boots in anger for a fortnight - letís hope this doesnít leave us looking stupid as Jersey will be up for it.
Frustrating afternoon to say the least....
CíMON Bris!!!!

Posted by: Ashtonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 16:57

Quote:
AlexInSouthville
Quote:
KJS

I feel for Sheedy, or indeed any 10 in that attacking system.....job is to just ship the ball on for the 4 to be the playmaker.

It looked *slightly* better in the second half, with gaps opening up in the 13 channel, but still not great. You can see what thy are trying to do, they at are jut doing it too slowly and far far too deep
I also felt for Sheedy out there today. Him, Hurrell and Fenton-Wells were the stand outs for me. Find it hard that anyone can compare any player to another player when there were so many inexperienced players playing under the ' Pat Lam' structure. I watched Searle last week and he was taking and passing the ball in exactly the same way as Sheedy today. What I would like to see is Sheedy starting in a full strength Bristol Team, then the comparison could be made.

Posted by: Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 17:04

Pat Lam seems big on talking up 'a culture'.

Well, for me, one of those is giving the supporters something of which to be proud.

Posted by: Allthetimeref (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 17:33

What has happened to our forwards this year? We can't seem to scrummage, our line-outs are diabolical and that lack of forwards dominance along with this momentum killing passing across field means we seem to be going backwards, and not preparing for a possible return to the Premiership. Can anyone explain to me what's going on and what the master plan is, as today's display was dire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/10/2017 17:35 by Allthetimeref.

Posted by: chuckynut (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 19:35

Find this negative attitude a bit bizarre to be honest. Last season showed we were not anywhere near where we needed to fulfil our ambition either in our style of play (attack and defence, forward and backs) or our personnel. So the changes required are huge and go through all levels of the club. 10 or so games in (if you count pre-season) to this process is nothing and there are going to be ups and downs.

We put out a young side today, they didn't play great and lost by just 11 points - they didn't get humped. They and the coaches will have learned a lot from today which is what it was always about, not the result.

Posted by: Sarzy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 20:15

I canít see Hurrell getting shipped out... unless he lands on the naughty step again however, Edwards and Wallace were awful no one seemed up for running straight. I agree that we need to nurture these lads but this was one step too far. I know the club gave away free tickets today, but as a season ticket holder these matches are supposed to be a bonus for us!id like to clearly state it is not, especially playing like that. Donny, if they had been good should have put the side we put out today away, they didnít! Bad start to the week, letís see what the Bris site says....ĒWE NEED A DEFENSE COACH...NOW!Ē

Posted by: inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 21:08

Some of you need to wind it back in a bit surely? People are forever moaning that we don't give the Academy lads and the wider squad members a chance. So today we did.

It's a Mickey Mouse competition. No one was moaning when the same youthful/reserve side walloped Cardiff last week. Then it was all about what a "scratch" side Cardiff put out!

If Lam had put the First XV out and we ended with several injuries but cruised through today's match, you would also be moaning.

League duties resume now. Serious stuff starts again. Played 5 Won 5.

Posted by: Don Rooke (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 21:19

Why do we keep putting Sheedy in front of Searle
We have had 3 coaches that all put Searle first.
Searle started 5th choice last year
Started 10 times
Played in the worst team in the Premiership
Made more tackles than most fly halfís ever make
Our forwards (front 5 ) arenít good enough, so what do we do???
Sign a new fly half for hundreds of thousands.
For what itís worth
I would put Searle in front of Madigan all day...

Posted by: bs11 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 21:22

I don't think the players are currently of the quality to be able to play the sort of game they're being asked to play.Batley takes the ball time after time standing still (in fairness everyone else does that this season too) he's 5 metres behind the gain line then passes the ball behind him to another standing still 5 metres further back now we are 10 metres behind the gain line your 6ft 6 best part of 20 stone drive into the opposition commit players rugby is about physical domination.
Hopefully as the season goes on they will start to time runs better and things will start to click getting flatter to the gain line passing to a player running onto the ball rather than backwards across the field.
Certainly makes for frustrating viewing at the moment though.

Posted by: AtyeoBrizzler (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2017 07:28

It was men against boys yesterday. A few names stood out for me:
James Dun (playing 6) had a good game. Good work rate and a few good carries, although his exuberant celebration for a consolation try was a tad over the top. Hurrell and NFW had good games (as you would expect) and Chapman made a few good breaks and seemed fairly competent under the high ball after an initial howler. Sheedy did as well as good be expected, with a good couple of crossfield kicks for Ryan Edwards which went begging after some suspect looking early tackles (man without ball). Wasn't overly impressed with the officiating, we got away with a few things and were also on the wrong end of some questionable decisions as well however overall it was just a continuation of the current stratagem of playing hot potato in midfield and see what the flanker on the wing can do then ruck, recycle and repeat.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net