Current Page: 1 of 2
Worcester SRU
Posted by: JamboBris (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2017 20:34

Talk out there that the SRU are in the process of taking over warriors. Anyone more knowledgeable than me know if this would be allowed given potential conflict of interest if they draw Edinburgh for example? Also, according to The Times 21 players out of contract this year and all holding out to see what happens. If it's still the state of play in Jan when prem teams can talk to them could lead to Spencer, Mills etc leaving and whoever comes in as owners and DOR could have a hell of a job to rebuild the side should they stay up this year.

Re: Worcester SRU
Posted by: Field marshall (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2017 20:56

Surely the entire point of the SRU buying a club is to load it with scottish players.

Posted by: JamboBris (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2017 21:08

Yeah would be some interesting EQP percentages if it goes through!

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2017 21:32

Not like the SRU have form with setting up an English club and then dropping it just before the season starts. Beware Scotsmen bearing gifts.

Posted by: Knowle Blue (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2017 22:29

I thought London Scottish were supposed to be a feeder club to the SRU.... I might be wildly of base here, but surely Worcester wouldn’t really want that. They are a great club, with great fans, they are a midlands club..

Posted by: Olly (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2017 23:29

Can’t see how this would benefit Worcester or any other premiership club for that matter.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Posted by: Jim H (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2017 06:56

For the supporters sake I hope it's resolved soon, but doubt the SRU take over would be approved and the Swindon town bloke sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Wouldn't mind Hougaard coming here though!

Posted by: SparkyBris (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2017 08:23

Quote:
Knowle Blue
I thought London Scottish were supposed to be a feeder club to the SRU....

They did have an agreement a couple of years ago, and loaned LS a load of U20 players who weren't getting game time in the PRO14. By the end of that particular season though, they rescinded the agreement, which suddenly meant that LS were short of players.

Think it had something to do with money (surprise!) which makes you wonder. If it was expensive to try to fund a Championship club as a feeder side, how are they going to afford a Premiership side?

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2017 10:12

Quote:
SparkyBris
Quote:
Knowle Blue
I thought London Scottish were supposed to be a feeder club to the SRU....

They did have an agreement a couple of years ago, and loaned LS a load of U20 players who weren't getting game time in the PRO14. By the end of that particular season though, they rescinded the agreement, which suddenly meant that LS were short of players.

Think it had something to do with money (surprise!) which makes you wonder. If it was expensive to try to fund a Championship club as a feeder side, how are they going to afford a Premiership side?

Agree with this.

Politically, i cant see how they would be able to invest in an Aviva Prem side when the Borders were told there wasn't enough money for a third Scottish club

Especially when funding a viable and competitive Prem team is waaaay more expensive than a Pro14 team, and that's even with the EQP additional payments, which is assume Worcester Scottish wouldnt be getting.

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2017 10:29

This rumour doing the rounds again?

I guess one thing could be it's cheaper than setting up another club in Scotland from scratch and as they have an average gate of over 6000 there is less uncertainty over attendances although I guess they'd need to initially pump in some sweeteners to not let the figure drop below that. Be interesting to see how this pans out.

Also, as we need a 9 Hougaard looks none too shabby. 0winking smiley

Posted by: dpw (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2017 10:43

Report in today's Daily Mail.............

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

dpw

Posted by: Graham_U (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2017 11:05

I heard nothing of this when we were up for the autumn internationals. For most of the pro era the SRU have been really struggling financially. The last year or so the success on the pitch has lead to much better crowds (and significant increase in price) for the international matches so they are a bit more comfortable now. though that will only last while they are doing well.
They have been working on an anglo program for some time, as its a major source of players for them. At the start of the autumn internationals they had 8 English born players only 2 less than Scots born, in the match day squad. With the extension of the residential qualification I suspect they have talked about the need to wider for scots qualified players as the "project players " are no longer feasible.
The arrangement with LondonScot was supposed to be a significant step in Anglo direction providing a club base and included major coaching commitment as well as players. That was before the current success and after a short time they determined they were not getting the value for the major money it was costing so withdraw completely, then agreed a much more limited compromised.
Hence I would be amazed if the SRU was ever considering a total take over as history shows they could not support it. The £10+ required to run a prem club would be an amazingly high risk to the SRU finances. However some version of the LS agreement supporting the owner/financier of a prem club could be to their advantage. Though how that would work with the PRL/RFU requirements could be challenging.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Posted by: thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
Date: 13 December, 2017 15:47

it sounds to me as if London Welsh Board of Directors have taken over at the SRU. Happy days.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 13 December, 2017 16:40

Which are those 8 born in England Graham? - be interesting. Thing is, though, as most of the jobs in Britain are in England and economically Scotland was not doing well 18 - 25 years ago, it is not surprising so many Scottish exiles had kids (who are now pro players) born in England. That doesn't mean those kids haven't always considered themselves Scottish, and rightly so.

Not many couples from England move to Scottish or Wales to find work and so you'd expect few England players born in Britain to have been born outside of England - although two of their best were brought up in Wales of course (Maka and Billy).

Posted by: AGS (IP Logged)
Date: 13 December, 2017 19:27

So they could stack the squad with young players who have the potential to play for Scotland or England, and so meet the EQP criteria. Then if they prove themselves move them north of the border. If the use of so many young/inexperienced players resulted in a poor run of results and threatened relegation, the SRU could use it's influence to arrange a load of loans from Glasgow and Edinburgh on a short term to boost results. The only blocker is whether the Wuss supporters would put up with it, as they need plenty through the gates to balance their books.

Posted by: Since 1888 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 December, 2017 21:01

Can you imagine the RFU bringing in a ruling that if you decline an invitation to play for England or England Saxons you no longer are English Qualified then bench a few SRFU Worcs project players in the Saxons team to scupper the evil plan. (Sm100)
Obviously there would need to be some quality to do this but that would put the cat amongst the pigeons. Not that I think it will happen though too many hurdles to overcome I imagine.

Posted by: Olly (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2017 00:41

Really feel for the Worcester supporters they must be pretty cheesed of at present.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Date: 14 December, 2017 10:56

Rich,
As an Englishman who has worked and played both sides of the border and goes to many Scotland matches I always find it interesting to see where the squad originates from, particularly the number of English born. Of late it can be a question of if there are more in the England or Scotland team (Sm100)

There certainly is a large amount of the itinerant Scottish parent or grandparent in their squad, both England and further a field, which underlines my point about it a rich sources for their players. Back in the day I seem to remember a story about Andy Reed (Barf Lock) being identified as Scots qualified when someone saw him wearing a Hibs scarf at a rugby match, or more recently our own Mitch Eadie only going a long to Scottish junior trail to keep a mate company.

Personally I have always question some of the international qualifications, and am glad to see Gus's changes going through ar the IRB/WR. I particularly hate the "Project Player" concept, and am none too happy with some of the EQP connections we have used. It seems particularly bad for Calumn Sheedy who had to turn down a Wales U20 cap to keep playing for us.

For T1 nations I would like to see international qualification much stricter, with a combo of residency needed if not born there, particularly the Granny level. Also a requirement for on-going residency required if you are using that qualification, e.g. 5 years to qualify but 8 before you can live elsewhere and still play. Ironically in my day, having lived in Scotland for only a year I was qualified, though ability some way short.

I must have over-counted by one as a quick scan of the Scot.v.Samoa programme shows the following were born in England: Price(mum), WilsonGrant(granny), Marfo(mum), Watson(Granparents), Swinson(granny), Harris(?), and Pyrgos(mum).

Graham

C'mon Bris,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/12/2017 11:10 by Graham_U.

Posted by: robtheh (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2017 11:06

Quote:
Graham_U
Rich,
As an Englishman who has worked and played both sides of the border and goes to many Scotland matches I always find it interesting to see where the squad originates from, particularly the number of English born. Of late it can be a question of if there are more in the England or Scotland team (Sm100)

There certainly is a large amount of the itinerant Scottish parent or grandparent in their squad, both England and further a field, which underlines my point about it a rich sources for their players. Back in the day I seem to remember a story about Andy Reed (Barf Lock) being identified as Scots qualified when someone saw him wearing a Hibs scarf at a rugby match, or more recently our own Mitch Eadie only going a long to Scottish junior trail to keep a mate company.

Personally I have always question some of the international qualifications, and am glad to see Gus's changes going through ar the IRB/WR. I particularly hate the "Project Player" concept, and am none too happy with some of the EQP connections we have used. It seems particularly bad for Calumn Sheedy who had to turn down a Wales U20 cap to keep playing for us.

For T1 nations I would like to see international qualification much stricter, with a combo of residency needed if not born there, particularly the Granny level. Also a requirement for on-going residency required if you are using that qualification, e.g. 5 years to qualify but 8 before you can live elsewhere and still play. Ironically in my day, having lived in Scotland for only a year I was qualified, though ability some way short.

I must have over-counted by one as a quick scan of the Scot.v.Samoa programme shows the following were born in England: Price(mum), Grant(granny), Marfo(mum), Watson(Granparents), Swinson(granny), Harris(?), and Pyrgos(mum).

Ryan Wilson is English-born, I believe.

Date: 14 December, 2017 11:08

Well picked up Rob, I transposed the wrong Ryan, it should have been Wilson(Granny) not Grant.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net