Charles Piutau could be available for fewer games
Posted by: dpw (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 15:35

According to this report..........

[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

dpw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2018 16:35 by dpw.

Re: Charles Piutau could be available for fewer game
Posted by: Platwell House (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 15:55

Can't see it happening, it is the last thing world rugby want.

Re: Charles Piutau could be available for fewer game
Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 16:40

Surely not. I thought the three year rule was to do with representing a country in the Olympics not for switching from one country to another for the World Cup.

Re: Charles Piutau could be available for fewer games
Posted by: Peter D (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 18:02

It is to conform to Olympic rules but applies to all international appearances. If Charles Piutau can qualify for Tonga they'd be crazy not to pick him - and he'd be crazy not to accept ( just for the chance to play in the RWC.)

Rugby did away with this sort thing but the desire to be an Olympic sport means it's back - and not only for Sevens.

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 18:05

Bristol Post might want to fact check that worlds highest paid player.

We'll be waiting.

Posted by: Chet Ripley (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 21:16

Slow news day. Digging up a story that was around at the beginning of the year and putting some dramatic headlines on to grip our interest. Boring and lazy reporting.

Posted by: Since 1888 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 21:20

Itís little things like this which will expose our squad due to the lack of quality we have, I bet Pat will be slightly irritated if it did happen but publicly supportive.

Posted by: Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2018 14:17

There is zero chance of this happening. Piutau is tied to NZ and there is no rule that says if you don't play for three years you become untied. Nor is there likely to be one between now and the 2019 World Cup. There was a loophole ahead of the 2016 Olympic 7s whereby players could switch back allegiencies if they played in the 7s World Series beforehand, but I believe that was a one-off with no plans to repeat it in 2020.

Posted by: Peter D (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2018 14:37

But this recent article in Rugby World suggests CP might still be able to change allegiance.

Rugby World

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 14:38 by Peter D.

Posted by: Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2018 15:46

EP - 'he would be unavailable for a large proportion of his time at the club'

If you are going to state 'large proportion' you have to state facts. I can't see Tonga's schedule being 'large'!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 15:53 by Bristol-Supporter.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2018 17:11

The article says he would have to compete in 4 qualifying events. But why, in a season in which we have to be competitive, would we let him go off to play in 7s tournaments? Can't see it happening

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2018 19:42

I think Neale has it spot on here.

Incidentally looking at the World Rugby link I can see why Spain may not be happy/might have been confused as it says 'In the past some unions have nominated their U20 side, but since the start of 2018 they are no longer able to do that.' Spain have lost chance to be in RWC in Japan due to two players who played for France U20s a good while prior to 2018. Russia (who now will be in Japan, Scotland and Ireland's pool at RWC due to Spain, Belgium and Romania having big points deductions) got thrashed by USA at weekend. Not sure if it was Russia's best side but before the sanctions against the others I believe they were 4th in the Euro competition and there could be some very ugly scores against them in Japan - starting with game 1 against the hosts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net