Dan Thomas today
Posted by: pacific islander (IP Logged)
Date: 02 November, 2018 23:11

Great performance today. IMO was the Man of the Match prefomance.

Can see see the George Smith effect working

Re: Dan Thomas today
Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 02 November, 2018 23:20

Outstanding performance, think he dropped a bit in the final 5 minutes but understandable given the shift. Also think he might have been in with a shout for MOTM. Edwards definitely good value for it though, glad it's not my job to pick.

Posted by: inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
Date: 02 November, 2018 23:38

Regarding Ryan Edwards, he always gives 100%; but in terms of the "small margins" I thought he should have finished off his two long breaks he made (particularly the one Dolman side second half)

He has the potential to be top quality, just think he needs a little extra muscle weight.

Date: 02 November, 2018 23:41

Quote:
Rinkadink
Outstanding performance, think he dropped a bit in the final 5 minutes but understandable given the shift. Also think he might have been in with a shout for MOTM. Edwards definitely good value for it though, glad it's not my job to pick.

Oh ! Only. dropped a bit in the last 5 mins ?? Pretty solid preformnce imo, Edwards desion making in defense was not great and with ball in hand seemed like he strugled with retention . reminded me of a reminicanese of AR eara

Date: 02 November, 2018 23:43

Quote:
inatthebreakdown
Regarding Ryan Edwards, he always gives 100%; but in terms of the "small margins" I thought he should have finished off his two long breaks he made (particularly the one Dolman side second half)
He has the potential to be top quality, just think he needs a little extra muscle weight.
+1 agree

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 00:00

Quote:
pacific islander
Quote:
Rinkadink

Oh ! Only. dropped a bit in the last 5 mins ?? Pretty solid preformnce imo, Edwards desion making in defense was not great and with ball in hand seemed like he strugled with retention . reminded me of a reminicanese of AR eara

What, you think it was longer? Might have been, Thomas did give away a load of silly pens near the end and slowed up around breakdown/less effective. I think he was more than pretty solid, outstanding as said above but each to their own.

Think he gets in the side vs Exeter.

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 05:50

Thought he played welll....at least three turnovers that I counted, made all his tackles (he hits a good few kilos harder than he actually weighs), and a handful of occasions where he kept the ball alive.

Posted by: Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 06:29

I too thought he was good tonight - some cracking turnovers won and one decent break showing his pace. Considering the back row was arguably where Glos were strongest last night (yes they were young but very highly rated plus a certain Jack Kriel came on) he looked solid. Was a nuisance throughout and tackled like a demon - good to have him back!!

Posted by: bris_rob (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 08:29

Dan was excellent last night and for us in the Championship, Was unfortunate to pick up his injury delaying his premiership bow. I am hoping he'll make the step up to Premiership level as he has all the right attributes for a 7 – and learning from the best must help smiling smiley

Regarding Edwards – he always plays to 100% and can be great in attack but his defence is a worry sometimes (tackling and position) and needs to improve greatly if he wants to become a top prem performer. As a winger he will be very disappointed that he didn't finish that interception break out.

Posted by: robtheh (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 08:39

Edwards isn’t the world’s most spectacular winger, but his work rate is what sets him apart.
Defence wise, I’d question that his tackling lets him down: would tend to agree positionally though.
Last night he was on the end of some horrible passes, and some passes that shouldn’t have been thrown...but that’s our attacking shape, not any of his fault.
A bloke sat behind me last night was trumpeting on and on about Edwards, how he always seems to get tackled when he receives the ball, as if it were Edwards fault!
I’m not saying we don’t have wingers with more flair, or indeed better wingers, but none of them work as hard as he does.
In my view.

Posted by: youngone (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 08:48

yes thomas was very good last night and hopefully is on course to return to last seasons form, hopefully another 6 months with Smith will help turn him into a real talent.

I know this isn't a popular opinion on this board but i really don't think Edwards adds enough to warrant a place in the squad. He lacks power which makes his attack one-dimensional and requires him to be in plenty of space to make any kind of headway. In defence he is weak going by the standard of those around him (although this has always been his weakness to be fair) and doesn't challenge the high ball with any conviction. That said he has a good work rate and he is rapid. I can't see him being retained imo.

On the other side of that, Pincus looks solid in defense and under the high ball and whilst he's hardly had the opportunity to set matches alight with his attack in his appearances so far i think he may have worked himself into a starting place depending on how CP fits in to things.

Posted by: hooter (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 09:38

Think the problem for are wingers is that the ball comes along the line and leaves them no space to work with and opposition defenders are just moving along with the ball, when you look at there defensive line there is very little depth to it most of the time so the occasional grabber kick thru would cause panick

Posted by: Field marshall (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 11:38

I thought Sam Jeffries had an outstanding game. His workrate is exceptional.

Date: 03 November, 2018 20:45

Quote:
youngone
yes thomas was very good last night and hopefully is on course to return to last seasons form, hopefully another 6 months with Smith will help turn him into a real talent.
I know this isn't a popular opinion on this board but i really don't think Edwards adds enough to warrant a place in the squad. He lacks power which makes his attack one-dimensional and requires him to be in plenty of space to make any kind of headway. In defence he is weak going by the standard of those around him (although this has always been his weakness to be fair) and doesn't challenge the high ball with any conviction. That said he has a good work rate and he is rapid. I can't see him being retained imo.

On the other side of that, Pincus looks solid in defense and under the high ball and whilst he's hardly had the opportunity to set matches alight with his attack in his appearances so far i think he may have worked himself into a starting place depending on how CP fits in to things.
+1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net