I don't Understand.
Posted by: Old Bristolian (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 13:18

Plenty but this puzzled me last night.

Glos forwards have ball at their feet in a ruck.

Glos scrum half uses his feet to pass the ball to the back of the ruck so he can get it away.

He is not bound and not part of the ruck, and is doing so from in front of the hindmost foot of those in the ruck in fact from the side.

Is this legal?

Re: I don't Understand.
Posted by: Peter_B (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 13:22

Probably not illegal but I would say the ball is out as soon as he moves it back with his foot. We do it as well by the way.

I think if you do this you should then play the ball immediately but most players still wait. I’ll bet if a defender then came round the corner they’d get pinged.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 14:16 by Peter_B.

Posted by: hooter (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 16:06

Hate it when more players join the back of a ruck and the ball ends up about 5 foot behind where it was placed by the tackled player. Think that as soon as a ref calls ruck no further players should be allowed to join from either side

Posted by: Peter D (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 18:15

I think it's another of the "let's ignore the laws and do something else instead" things. It puzzles me too. I think the ball should be considered out of the ruck as soon as the scrum half touches it. It would speed up the game and add to the ruck being a genuine contest for ball.

Posted by: Sit_Down (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 12:04

No. The law has been clarified this year. Using his feet to pull the ball back is legal AND not out.

Once the half back has LIFTED the ball, it is out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net