London Irish
Posted by: Coomber (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2019 16:00

Interesting to see from afar what is going down at Irish.

Cash Converters have withdrawn their sponsorship and now Guinness considering doing the same because of the signing of Paddy Jackson and it being inconsistent with the values of those sponsors.

The last thing they’d want having just been promoted is distractions like this. That said, bringing in someone with such baggage would always be dangerous and would risk alienating part of the fanbase.

I know I wouldn’t want us to sign a player with that kind of background.

Re: London Irish
Posted by: Old Bristolian (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2019 17:28

Some extraordinary nonsense being posted on the LI page in response to the Guinness rumour.

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2019 18:47

Surprised they went for him but it's their own bed and all that. Makes it easier for all the other premiership teams if they're troubled and go straight back down so perhaps we can look at it selfishly?

Posted by: Platwell House (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2019 19:35

Certainly made their bed, he is a fantastic player however the suits of sport want safe bets. A major risk for anyone.

Posted by: Field marshall (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2019 20:24

Difficult one this. Whilst he's not been found guilty of any crime, his behaviour did not achieve the standard to meet man rule number 1. However, I am a big believer in second chances and had people not given me (and I suspect many others) a second chance here and there I have no idea where I'd be. We sometimes make mistakes. We sometimes behave like dicks. They (and certainly Paddy himself) really should have made more of this aspect; it would probably resonate with many people.

Posted by: JamboBris (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2019 22:00

The bit I personally dislike from the way Irish have gone about all this is the attempt to totally ignore what has happened previously. Would cut them more slack if they'd addressed his prior actions. As previously mentioned there is some utter dross being written on their message board.

Posted by: Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 09:41

The bit people seem to be ignoring is that he was only found 'not guilty'. Basically there wasn't enough evidence to say that he was guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. This does not mean that he is 'innocent', like some people think it does.

Posted by: Field marshall (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 10:07

Thats why I termed it as I did. It might have been that there wasn't enough evidence, but he also could have been innocent. Beyond reasonable doubt is a fairly fundamental facet of our legal process. The only two options are guilty and not guilty.

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 10:57

In fairness the presumption is 'innocent' unless found guilty. So he's innocent of the crime of which he was found not guilty. If course the evidence did show his behaviour to be, at the least very poor. I think LI and the player should have been open about that and ensured he learned a lesson. Ignoring it just looks shabby.

Posted by: Don P (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 11:25

Quote:
Field marshall
Difficult one this. Whilst he's not been found guilty of any crime, his behaviour did not achieve the standard to meet man rule number 1. However, I am a big believer in second chances and had people not given me (and I suspect many others) a second chance here and there I have no idea where I'd be. We sometimes make mistakes. We sometimes behave like dicks. They (and certainly Paddy himself) really should have made more of this aspect; it would probably resonate with many people.

Whatever your thoughts on the situation here, very good article on the subject of redemption within rugby by Sam Roberts, highlighted on the LI site [samrobertsrugby.com]

Posted by: expectingrain (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 11:41

A Pay Day Loan Shark claiming the moral high ground

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 12:06

Quote:
expectingrain

An inch off the bottom of the gutter is certainly higher ground but whether it is moral or not is another matter.

Posted by: Jonny thomas (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 13:23

Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
expectingrain

An inch off the bottom of the gutter is certainly higher ground but whether it is moral or not is another matter.
Well with most of their stock in store being stolen goods I'm not so sure they have that inch

Posted by: Platwell House (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 08:09

Quote:
Jonny thomas
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
expectingrain

Well with most of their stock in store being stolen goods I'm not so sure they have that inch
Not called Smack Converters for nothing.

Posted by: Coomber (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 20:05

Now confirmed that Guinness (well, their parent company) have withdrawn their sponsorship after 30 years.

Wonder what the affect on the club will be, income wise. Would imagine that would be a decent package with Guinness, more so than Cash Converters.

Posted by: Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 09:10

quite the symbolic gesture too, aside from the cash. Guinness and LI just go hand in hand, I wonder if another Irish stout manufacturer will jump in their shoes

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 10:51

Quote:
Field marshall

100% agree with this.

The outcome of the trial (and nuances around 'innocent' and 'not guilty') are irrelevant, as its the legal-but-distasteful behaviour that seems to be driving this.

I do believe in second chances for people who show both contrition, and an appetite to proactively do everything in their power to prevent others making their mistakes.

Society would be screwed if we permanently ostracised anyone who has made a mistake and genuinely regrets it.

How many people with addiction problems have been guided and supported by ex-addicts? How many young kids mixing with gangs have been able to carve out a better life because of reformed gang-members (many with criminal records themselves) mentoring them?

Paddy Jackson would have helped himself no end if he had owned his mistakes, and publicly committed to using the profile and platform, that his second chance is giving him, for the greater good

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net