If you could make one signing for next season...who would it be and why?
Posted by: APPLES (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2019 22:18

If you could make one signing for next season...who would it be and why?

So the AWJ story got me thinking, although I think we could do with his leadership and experience in the squad, we are pretty strong at lock already!

What position and Who would you rather have if we were to make one top quality signing?

Inside centre - SBW - out of contract after the world cup?

Re: If you could make one signing for next season...who would it be and why?
Posted by: Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 01:15

Faf de Clerk or Reinach for me. Lam talked about having a world class player in every position backed up by young English and Bristolian talent. He hasnít done that at scrum half. I rate Uren and Randall but compared to the likes of de Clerk, Reinach, Hougard, Spencer et al I do feel we concede a lot to opposition in this pivotal position.

SBW is old and on the periphery of the ABís now so not the inside centre Iíd go for.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 07:29

Uren and Randall will be even better next season. Yes those two South Africans have been electric but I don't believe Uren has looked any less good than all of the other 9s in the league.

Posted by: Platwell House (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 08:00

A world class centre, don't care who, there is a big gap there. Its great that Sam Bedlow is coming through and looking a tidy prospect but Bristol needs the George Smith effect in this position next season.

Posted by: airdog (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 08:57

agree with you P.H.we need a top quality centre as I have been saying for the past 50 years !

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 10:06

De Allende of South Africa probably, or maybe Henry Slade.

Posted by: JamboBris (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 10:08

Radrada for me. Or possibly Kolbe, just because a back three or him, Piutau and Morahan would be bloody fun to watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2019 10:49 by JamboBris.

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 12:18

Quote:
Rich.
Uren and Randall will be even better next season. Yes those two South Africans have been electric but I don't believe Uren has looked any less good than all of the other 9s in the league.
This, even our 9s looked equal to Faf already at AG this season. They will only improve, it's very exciting.

Quote:
Platwell House
A world class centre, don't care who, there is a big gap there. Its great that Sam Bedlow is coming through and looking a tidy prospect but Bristol needs the George Smith effect in this position next season.
Agreed. Someone for Bedlow to learn off and unleash Hurrell and O'Conor outside.

Not sure who that would be SBW is amazing and would probably fit in? No idea how he teaches though.

Posted by: DevilsAdvocate (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 20:02

Handrť Pollard and Jonny May.

Posted by: Field marshall (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 20:27

Henry Slade or Alex Lozowski AND Ma'a Nonu.

Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2019 21:58

If we could sign anyone, Fikou would suit us very well or the absolute dream Bris signing for me is Damien Mckenzie and we would just find a way to get him and CP into the back three. A more grounded option would be Johnny Williams, but we will have a lot of competition for him if he decides to leave Newcastle.

Realistically, AWJ is the best player who is potentially available this summer and he is at least as good as any of our current forwards so we absolutely must sign him if we have the budget to do so.

Centre is clearly the position where we could use an extra player, but if the players arenít available, they arenít available.

Posted by: Bris Kev (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 06:11

Laumape from the hurricanes

Posted by: Capstan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 14:22

Quote:
DevilsAdvocate
Handrť Pollard and Jonny May.

Yep Pollard would do nicely!

Disagree with TQ,think that tighthead is the position we clearly need bolstering,to give John Afoa some respite.
Sinckler would be interesting

Posted by: Jim H (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 17:12

Can Semi Radrada play centre?

Posted by: expectingrain (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 17:28

Jonathon Davies at 13 would be perfect. Heís got enough caps to still play for Wales as well. Pity heís just resigned for the Scarlets

Posted by: Old Bristolian (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 18:29

Furlong, the Irish tight head. Probably the best in the world, and would ease the reliance on Afoa.

Posted by: JamboBris (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2019 08:10

Quote:
Jim H
Can Semi Radrada play centre?

He can indeed.

Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2019 09:15

I agree that another tight-head would be handy, but if we had a magical gold card which allowed us to sign any player in the world, I definitely wouldnít use it on a player who would spend 20-60 minutes warming the bench each week.

If Furlong was available in the real world, the same logic would apply as AWJ which is to sign any genuinely world clsss player if possible. But,I donít think Sinks is in that category yet.

Posted by: Purpendicular (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2019 07:34

Can't believe someone hasn't done this already..so..Josh Lewsey.

Posted by: robtheh (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2019 10:26

Quote:
Purpendicular
Can't believe someone hasn't done this already..so..Josh Lewsey.

You mean he isnít coming back already?!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net