Current Page: 1 of 2
Sale Sharks Statement
Posted by: SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 19:02

Sale Sharks Director of Rugby Steve Diamond has, this evening, said that press speculation about the signings of James O'Connor and Faf de Klerk are incorrect.
Diamond said, " I have not spoken to either player and don't know where the speculation has come from. We have announced several new signings recently and we are in negotiations with several more players. Once they sign a Sharks contract we will make announcements."

Re: Sale Sharks Statement
Posted by: Shep23 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 19:07

Shame

Posted by: yukon (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 19:11

Fissler walks the earth like a god....(Sm120)

It's a shame though, they would have been a serious sign of intent. I'm sure there's good news to come though & when I say "I'm sure", I mean "I hope"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 19:12 by yukon.

Posted by: Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 19:22

They might yet sign of course - this says that they haven't. Either way, more squad depth on the way by the sounds of it which should be good news.

Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 19:43

Done deal™

Shame, though - would love to see both in Sale shirts next season.

Posted by: 2007dwain (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 19:46

Interesting statement. If we had signed or close to them I can't see why they would release this

Posted by: HaleShark (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 20:07

Interesting statement from he club, they don't usually do this type of press release so there must be some unique reason why they have done so this time.

It doesn't say that we won't sign them and would be a coup if we did but considering the out of character statement I would speculate they won't come the A.J.Bell. Maybe the statement was to reassure players who we are pursuing to sign for us.

Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 20:56

Quote:
HaleShark

It doesn't say that we won't sign them and would be a coup if we did but considering the out of character statement I would speculate they won't come the A.J.Bell. Maybe the statement was to reassure players who we are pursuing to sign for us.
That was my first thought: If we're trying to sign someone who is looking to leave their club to be first choice elsewhere then the speculation of signing someone else won't help the deal

Posted by: Glossopshark (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 21:11

Would welcome De Clerk, but have no interest in O'Connor for a few reasons.

How many clubs have to do this?

Date: 17 April, 2017 21:20

Fissler is claiming the statement's nonsense, the deals are done and he's frankly abusing anyone who thinks otherwise. It's about time the Rugby Paper put him in his box; his attitude on social media is embarrassing. The RP is generally great but he is obnoxious in the extreme- his Tweets to Nathan Middleton are ridiculous

Posted by: Glossopshark (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 21:25

Its really hard to believe anything that comes out of the club,and especially Diamond.

The sooner we appoint someone who can really be the PR face of the club the better

Posted by: stevene (IP Logged)
Date: 17 April, 2017 23:07

Couple of observations:

O'Connor. Nothing was ever going to be signed and sealed until after the LNR has ruled re his cocaine use. If he is suspended for any length then that may complicate the deal. Equally sale may want to pursue alternatives in the event of a long ban.

De Klerk. He is still in contract for more than 12 months. straeuli has already gone on record re his displeasure re de Klerks agent. Sale could be accused of tapping up another player. Therefore until that is worked out nothing will be signed and sealed. Equally any further bad PR re tapping up de Klerk won't help the solomona mediation.

fwiw I think fissler is probably on the money that deals are done with the agents. But they are done in principle only. The statement is, to me, worded to try and avoid ruling out signing them, it merely states they haven't already signed. They also state dimes hasn't spoken to the players. Doesn't mention their representatives. It also doesn't rule them out as potential signings from the potential new players.

I must say whilst fissler isn't always right his strike rate is pretty good. Clearly he gets the majority of his gossip from agencies. His twitter profile is a bit victor meldrew/ ukip love child but what do you expect from a millwall fan? All those accusing him of being full of BS because the club has made a statement need to check our DoR's factual accuracy re expectation and subsequent events. Think dimes has a trump level accuracy rate in that regard. Time will tell.

Posted by: Homsey (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 01:08

Both look like done deals - must be issues with announcements, compensation and possible bans. Don't think dimes has said we're not signing them both. De Klerk - top scrum half - 26 in his prime. O'Connor can play 10/12/15 and wing - will probably start at 12 with Mcginty at 10 - both excellent signings and statement of intents. Look forward to when the club can announce them.

Date: 18 April, 2017 04:30

Quote:
stevene
Couple of observations:
O'Connor. Nothing was ever going to be signed and sealed until after the LNR has ruled re his cocaine use. If he is suspended for any length then that may complicate the deal. Equally sale may want to pursue alternatives in the event of a long ban.

De Klerk. He is still in contract for more than 12 months. straeuli has already gone on record re his displeasure re de Klerks agent. Sale could be accused of tapping up another player. Therefore until that is worked out nothing will be signed and sealed. Equally any further bad PR re tapping up de Klerk won't help the solomona mediation.

fwiw I think fissler is probably on the money that deals are done with the agents. But they are done in principle only. The statement is, to me, worded to try and avoid ruling out signing them, it merely states they haven't already signed. They also state dimes hasn't spoken to the players. Doesn't mention their representatives. It also doesn't rule them out as potential signings from the potential new players.

I must say whilst fissler isn't always right his strike rate is pretty good. Clearly he gets the majority of his gossip from agencies. His twitter profile is a bit victor meldrew/ ukip love child but what do you expect from a millwall fan? All those accusing him of being full of BS because the club has made a statement need to check our DoR's factual accuracy re expectation and subsequent events. Think dimes has a trump level accuracy rate in that regard. Time will tell.

Hasn't the Solomona case settled?

Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 07:22

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9o1u7JWAAAzL8y.jpg

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Posted by: iBozz (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 09:27

Quote:
Diamond said, " I have not spoken to either player and don't know where the speculation has come from ...

I have no idea of the veracity of the speculation and, to be frank, I personally couldn't care a monkey's proverbial until any deal with anyone is signed, sealed and delivered.

But all Mr Dimes has said is that "I" have not spoken to either player. Does he not, as do all The Great and The Good, have "people" to do the spadework for him? He hasn't said anything about to whom his "people" might or might not be speaking.

And as a basic rule of thumb, never ever believe anything that comes out of or has been touched by a PR department unless and until verified by conclusive proof. There's nothing personal about that observation, merely bitter experience gained over many more years than I care to remember operating as an itinerant mountebank and charlatan preying on the congenitally gullible.

Just a thought.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 09:54

Again I find myself asking myself - why say anything at all?

I'm a firm believer in if you've got nothing worthwhile to say then don't say anything at all. Dimes should just be banned from publicly speaking about transfers until deals are done and ready to be announced, nothing he says in this respect helps our cause.

Do our PR department (Sm100) really have such inflated egos to think that anyone outside their 3,000 customers care about Sale related transfer gossip that they have to realease statements? It’s obviously nice to hear about us being linked to decent players but just leave it to forums and social media chat until the ink is dry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 09:55 by ale shark.

Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 09:59

It's probably worth pointing out that had he spoken to a player under an R.U. contract for another 12 months about signing him he would have broken Premiership rules governing such things.

This sort of official club statement might also assist the court case wrt purported inappropriate approaches made to Solomona (whilst under a R.L. contract). That might well be coming to a critical stage.

I also expect Fissler isn't currently on Dimes' or Swanny's birthday card list. Agents probably find him very useful though....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 10:00 by H's D.

Posted by: Conwy Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 10:11

In the words of the immortal Jim Hacker MP "never believe anything until it's officially denied" !!!.

Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 10:21

Isn't that tantamount to calling Dimes a Politician (rather than a politician)?
Will the new moderators permit that sort of crass insult!?eye popping smiley

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net