Current Page: 1 of 3
England tour squad announced
Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 09:31

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C915_cJXsAAZlh2.jpg

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Re: England tour squad announced
Date: 20 April, 2017 09:32

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C915_b7XUAAOctL.jpg

Date: 20 April, 2017 09:33

Both Curries, Sam James & Denny Solomona - no Beaumont

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2017 09:33 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Posted by: ChesterShark (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 09:34

Fantastic news for those 4. Surprised no Haley??

Date: 20 April, 2017 09:39

Not really. It's not as surprising as the omission of Launchbury from the Lions. Given M. Cul-de-sac is going to Argentina. Mallinder more useful as utility back who kicks goals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2017 09:40 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Posted by: jaytom (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 09:43

Bit of a surprise from a Sale POV. Good news for those going, but I thought Haley and Beaumont would have been included ahead of them.

Date: 20 April, 2017 09:44

Wade, Robson, Armand, Roko, Wilson also missing.

Date: 20 April, 2017 09:54

No TT?

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 09:55

Quote:
jaytom
Bit of a surprise from a Sale POV. Good news for those going, but I thought Haley and Beaumont would have been included ahead of them.

Yeah, they're obviously a long way down the pecking order now. Cant believe Mike Brown is touring but there's a lot of uncapped players in there.

Posted by: yukon (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 10:00

Excellent news and well deserved.

Posted by: Bradwall Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 10:06

Looks like the Curry boys have skipped the U20's. Clearly they are well thought off in higher circles.

Well done to the lads.

Posted by: Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 10:22

Highly delighted the Curry twins have been fast tracked. I am in awe of their performance considering their age.

Damn shame for Haley - I do wonder if his number of unforced errors for the middle part of the season has counted against him though I thought his very recent form has improved.

Beaumont - that's a blow for him - involved in the 6N squad, again I thought his very recent form has been good.

Perhaps for both of them it will be a positive that they need to concentrate on the basics again and aren't the finished article.

I don't recognize some of the names so struggling for the scrum half backup and full-back backups?

Real shame TT isn't involved - he performs week in week out and has been ultra consistent for multiple seasons.

Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 10:33

Delighted for the lads, especially the Curry boys - what a season they've had!
Am I right in thinking Brown is the only fullback? There's plenty there who've had experience (Loz and Mallinder etc.) but Haley can feel really hard done by.
Not too surprised at Josh's omission with EJ saying he views him as a lock.
Tommy Taylor and Dan Robson not going is pretty crazy.

Posted by: jaytom (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 10:34

Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
jaytom

Yeah, they're obviously a long way down the pecking order now. Cant believe Mike Brown is touring but there's a lot of uncapped players in there.

Haley I can understand, to some degree, as Brown is still with England and I guess with 16 players going to the Lions EJ wants some experienced leaders still in the squad - an injury in the back 3 could well see him called up still. With the Curry's getting in in the back row (with only Billy V missing) ahead of Beaumont, I can only assume that this is because EJ sees him as a second row and wants to see him make that transition here first.

Date: 20 April, 2017 10:47

Maybe it's a cunning plan , as cunning as a fox what used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University but has moved on and is now working for the U.N. at the High Commission of International Cunning Planning, to frustrate the Argies' man-marking system.

Escucha muchachos:- Miguél - you take Beniamíno - or is it Tomáso? Manuél you take Tomáso - or is it Beniamíno ? ¡ O mierda!

Posted by: james46 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 10:56

It's blooding the youngesters who will get battered by the Argies.

Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 11:06

I guess englands streak is broken and they no longer need to hold ranking points for WC seeding, so Eddie can afford to gamble. But my, he's rolled a whole handful of dice with this squad.

I'm disappointed for Haley & Josh, as I am for TT and Robson. Its difficult to see inconsistency in selection where you were next in line 2 months ago but now several notches further away. For our 2 their form hasnt been otherworldly, but not so bad either.

You'd really think selection had been earned by those wasps boys, including Wade. RObson, along with Wiggy, are the 2 most complete scrum halves in the country at present.

The potential in the youngsters selected is evident, but again, this isnt saxons rugby, its test caps, which I still feel should be earned. It seems early for a few of them when the likes of Wade, Wray, Harrison (teimana), Waller, Catt, Armand, Roko, Burrell, arent going.

There'll be a few brickbats thrown if England dont win, since few will consider it our 'best' avaialble side.

Posted by: stevene (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 11:19

I am guessing a off season without being injured and then a full pre season will do Haley and Josh better than going on a summer tour. Haley has struggled for form for most of the season and Josh, if he is moving to second row full time, will need to have an off season programme geared to achieving that.

I think a number of those selections (including the Curry twins) is about getting them into squad and seeing them in training rather than them actually playing. I can see Sam getting game time off the bench in one of the tests. Looks like Solomona will get his first cap for sure looking at the squad.

Posted by: BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 11:23

I am surprised Harry Williams has been preferred over Ross Harrison - Ross has performed consistently and admirably this season, a huge step up from last season, where frankly at times he was a liability in the tight. Williams is not a regular starter, and Exeter are not known for having a dominant front row. Shame for Ross, but a blessing for us because he can have a good rest over the off season.

It is also a shame for Addison, but whether his current injury has taken him out of the reckoning, I don't know.

While the squad is clearly experimental, it would seem to indicate that Cipriani's and Wade's time has come and gone. I am disappointed because they are both real entertainers, although the reports of Cipriani's performance against Leinster (I missed the game) indicated that he choked, and that can't have helped his cause.

It should be a stiff challenge against the Argies. However, it will be interesting to see what the Sale boys learn from Jones. Congratulations to those selected.

Posted by: Bradwall Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2017 11:51

Delighted for Sam. Bet Dad's over the moon.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net