Current Page: 1 of 2
BBC Manchester
Posted by: 2007dwain (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 10:02

Just come up on twitter that BBC radio Manchester will not be covering our games and there no be no rugby union extra this season.

Re: BBC Manchester
Posted by: DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 10:29

That is a shame, but I presume their listening figures are speaking.

Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 12:13

surely Sale could/should provide all their material so they simply have to broadcast it? It has to be worth it for the club?

Would they refuse to broadcast material provided to them that way?

Posted by: Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 12:31

That is indeed a shame - I used to download the podcasts and listen to them during my commute. Nathan was a big supporter and did the show well.

It's not a great week really.......losses for the senior/Jet team, same old same old with the stadium reaching new heights of annoyance and now this. Really need a win Friday and get some positives going.

Posted by: iBozz (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 12:48

If that's what they say then that's what they say, but my understanding was that BBC local stations were obligated to cover home games in the premiership?

I know that Nathan Middleton has moved to pastures new so their lead commentator has gone and that the excellent and perceptive Nigel Yates often has official duties which take hum away from the AJB, but surely they can find someone to commentate?

Swanny: do you have any information, inside or otherwise, about the [former?] requirement to cover home games? Or is my information incorrect?

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 12:51 by iBozz.

Posted by: hilly07 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 14:54

If certainly seemed like the end of the line when Nathan Middleton left and it looks like it is locally.

Looking ahead there are 4/6 games on radio this weekend so not just Sale that is missing - however maybe bbc radio Newcastle didn't get the expenses to go to Philly?!!

Date: 13 September, 2017 14:59

Radio Manchester are covering Leeds v Salford on Friday night.... something no other bbc radio station has to do in an Aviva Prem area

Date: 13 September, 2017 15:13

I guess this leaves (for those that don't attend in person) either hoping the opposition BBC radio commentary team cover it or I use Unibet - open an account and put in 1 or 5 (can't remember which) and you can watch a live stream.

Posted by: M5 Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 16:56

I updated a thread here each week last season with details of the guest, but it rarely got any comments. Hopefully Nathan didn't read it as comments suggested few listened to it.
Not sure how BBC record listening figures, but it appears we had it and have now lost it 😞

Posted by: 1972shark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 18:16

This is a real backward step! Someone at Sale needs to have a word, used to listen to podcast on way to the games, the club needs to increase its profile, not disappear!!!!!!

Posted by: emerging shark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 21:19

I thought that as a public funded service, the BBC had to provide a broad local content?

Date: 13 September, 2017 22:54

Quote:
2007dwain
Just come up on twitter that BBC radio Manchester will not be covering our games and there no be no rugby union extra this season.

I just saw this tweet from BBC Manchester Sport -smiling smiley

'Match day commentary is available online, home & away - RU extra is under discussion.'

Date: 14 September, 2017 08:57

Quote:
Surbiton Shark
Quote:
2007dwain

'Match day commentary is available online, home & away - RU extra is under discussion.'

That's good news. I think it fair to say that, under Nathan Middleton's care, the BBC Radio manchester commentary was the least biased of all. He and his fellow commentators were fair. Contrast that with, for example, BBC Radio Leicester, which had (allegedly, maybe, perhaps, possibly, you might think that I couldn't possibly comment, so they say, E&OE, Caveat Emptor, does anyone know a good defence lawyer?) the most biased commentary of all consisting, as it did, of seasoned ex-Cheetah players.

The problem with the BBC Radio Manchester on-line commentary is, and always has been, that they hide its no doubt brilliant light under several extra thick heavy duty industrial strength bushels. Frequently they are the last to publish their stream on the BBC Summary page and, to the best of my knowledge, last week's stream location never went up.

Unless they make their link easier to find then they will lose potential listeners who will follow links to any other station(s) covering the game.

Lost listeners = lower figures = "no-one listens so why should we bother?" = cut the service.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

Date: 14 September, 2017 12:21

Quote:
Surbiton Shark
Quote:
2007dwain

Available - but is it BBC MCR or just highlighting a general BBC service?
No confirmation on the page they link that there is a commentary planned on Friday. Will see if it pops up on the BBC Sport app tomorrow
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: 14 September, 2017 12:59

Quote:
hilly07
Quote:
Surbiton Shark
Quote:
2007dwain

Available - but is it BBC MCR or just highlighting a general BBC service?
No confirmation on the page they link that there is a commentary planned on Friday. Will see if it pops up on the BBC Sport app tomorrow
[www.bbc.co.uk]

The tweet was from BBC Manchester

IBozz - I think others have highlighted this however to highlight again. On the BBC website, under rugby union it has links to all the radio commentary - however it's only visible just before the matches start - but it's very simple

Posted by: SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 15:05

BBC Radio Manchester are no longer covering games and there are no plans to broadcast RU Extra. Its not as simple as providing information and interviews. The show has to be broadcast by a BBC employee with a balanced view. If they just relied on us to provide information and they broadcasted it, it would not be balanced as per BBC regs.

Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 15:08

Could the club 'sponsor' a Beeb employee in some way?

Posted by: SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 15:12

Being a freelance BBC employee I can tell you that it would probably be met with a firing squad (Sm118)

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 15:29

I always enjoy listening to the BBC local radio balanced view commentaries of their local teams.

I believe I heard one once!

Date: 14 September, 2017 18:06

[quote Surbiton Shark][quote hilly07]IBozz - I think others have highlighted this however to highlight again. On the BBC website, under rugby union it has links to all the radio commentary - however it's only visible just before the matches start - but it's very simple[/quote]

Yes, I know Surbiton.

My point is, and always has been, that BBC Radio Manchester were usually the last to post their link to their commentary on the BBC Rugby Commentary Links page if, indeed, the link ever went up. The other BBC local stations managed to get their links up in good time.

If you read the source threads last term and earlier, you will have seen that I tried to link to all on-line audio, but BBC RM was frequently missing as it was not listed in time - if at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 18:08 by iBozz.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net