Current Page: 1 of 2
Wayne Barnes refs on Friday night
Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 13:59

Sale Sharks vs London Irish
@ AJ Bell Stadium
Referee: Wayne Barnes
Assistant referees: Hamish Smales, Wayne Falla
TMO: Stuart Terheege

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Re: Wayne Barnes refs on Friday night
Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 14:23

room for some wayne confusion on reflink this week.

Posted by: hilly07 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 14:43

First Time I used a ref link was with Barnes and it made me want to referee. You might not agree with him from the stands but he gives the players every opportunity to play the game in the right way on the field.

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 14:51

Half the battle Hilly. Players have a lot of time for him from what you hear.

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 14:54

Wayne Barnes is one of the best referees in the world, we are lucky to have him officiating in our league.

Posted by: yukon (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 15:22

Quote:
hilly07
First Time I used a ref link was with Barnes and it made me want to referee. You might not agree with him from the stands but he gives the players every opportunity to play the game in the right way on the field.

I'll treat myself to Reflink on Friday now. I've always enjoyed the way Barnsey explains things on, for eg, Rugby tonight.

Date: 13 September, 2017 15:37

wrt to his call on the Fotualii/Brits incident last weekend, what do posters think?
- for reference, Brits was penalised for obstruction. Whilst retreating from an offside position, Britz saw thew ball coming out and crouched to the ground to avoid the ball being passed by Fotuallii, Fotualii deliberately passed the ball into him in order to draw the penalty. And was given it by Mr Barnes.

Mr Barnes said words to the effect of "It may be a bad law, but its still the law of the game".

To me thats one interpretation.

Another would be to penalise Fotualii for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Either would have been a reasonable call by the ref IMO. Surely rugby laws are sufficently opaque that he has discretion to use his judgement here?

Posted by: Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 16:28

Quote:
ale shark
Wayne Barnes is one of the best referees in the world, we are lucky to have him officiating in our league.

IYHuO!

IMHuO

Barnes rarely comes to a match without preconceptions which means that he has little chance of being impartial

Posted by: Crutch (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 16:29

Not seen it but agree interpretation needs to be applied for that scenario.

If Brits were the tackler, had got up pretty quickly and was looking to move back onside but Bath got the ball out quickly then I'd say no pen.

If he was interfering with the ball release to slow play down, then dawdled in front of the nine as Newcastle repeatedly did, to obstruct him and then finally made a pretence of getting out of the way then it's clearly a penalty.

In the latter case though I'd have given a pen before the ball even came out. This is something we really struggled with opposition doing last year and really winds me up that refs aren't stronger on penalising it.

Posted by: emerging shark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 16:31

wrt to his call on the Fotualii/Brits incident last weekend, what do posters think?
I am almost certain this has happened before and has been given as accidentally offside, scrum.By the look on his face I think Barnes might have regretted his decision but did not want to go back on it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 16:48 by emerging shark.

Date: 13 September, 2017 16:36

to Crutch:

Brits was offside, but DEFINITELY trying to avoid obstructing play. He was crouched almost flat on the ground. Fotualii's pass wouldnt have reached its Saints target even on the second bounce. It was deliberate to draw the Pen.

Brits was livid in a way I've never seen such an amiable man be.

IMO, Barnes made the wrong call to forego discretion. The offence by Fotualii was very akin to a dive in football. It shouldnt be encouraged and I believe the laws allow mr Barnes no to.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 16:55

Personally I reckon Mr Barnes should have turned a blind eye while Brits lamped Fotuali'i which would have sorted out the matter quite satisfactorily.

I also agree that Mr Barnes is an excellent referee .......... except at scrum time.

Posted by: Cap'n Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 17:20

Quote:
MartWhit
room for some wayne confusion on reflink this week.

Looks like I'll have to brush up on my French winking smiley

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Date: 13 September, 2017 17:25

I'd have to see it, but as I said would depend what Brits was doing up to that point. If he had an opportunity to get inside but didn't take it then I have no sympathy even if he did duck.

Date: 13 September, 2017 17:26

P.s. Was too despondent about the result to watch any highlights, let alone rewatch our game...

Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 18:05

I thought it was gamesmanship. Many opportunities like this arise in the game but very few 9's go for the deliberate penalty. Having said that most front rows do the same at every scrum.

Barnes was half right - it's not a bad law it's an incomplete law. There should be a distinction between a motionless player in an offside position making a genuine attempt not to interfere with play and with an offside player interfering with play.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Posted by: hilly07 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 18:46

Posted by: emerging shark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 21:09

Dickson of Saints was a serial offender on this topic...

Posted by: Flumpty (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 22:11

Quote:
yukon
Quote:
hilly07

I'll treat myself to Reflink on Friday now. I've always enjoyed the way Barnsey explains things on, for eg, Rugby tonight.

I'll be reflinking Flumpty Jnr and myself up as well.

His interaction with Andy Goode a couple of seasons ago at Newcastle was worth listening to !

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 22:31

It's the rugby equivalent of mankading

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net