Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Team v Quins 06/10/2017
Posted by: Tigger (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 20:32

Watching on a live stream which has frozen just at the end....why was the penalty reversed?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 20:34

A point's a point but that was dire

There were some individual positives - thought Strauss had a decent game, Jono Ross has an endless gas tank, he was grafting until the end, JOC looked a class above when he came on, and Ioane was an absolute whirlwind of energy and explosiveness - but on the whole that was very concerning.

Posted by: 2007dwain (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 20:35

We were our own worst enemy in this game. So many knock on's, passes gone to no one and people going on their own and getting turned over. Games like these with teams similar to us should be won. Faf as good as he is needs to stop doing meaningless kicks

Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)

Quote:
Tigger
Watching on a live stream which has frozen just at the end....why was the penalty reversed?

Initial penalty for Swiel infringing on McGuigan, reversed for McGuigan retaliating/escalating.

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)

Don't think he gave us a penalty in the first place, but Quinns got a pen for McGuigans reaction to Swiels treatment. Right decision.

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)

Penalty reversed because McGuigan retaliated to the foul by Swiel.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Posted by: Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 20:38

Oh well, Charnley will get a run out next week while Byron goes to naughty step.

Aulika good when he came on seemed to do what i was screaming at my screen for tarus to do, which was just to go for the turnover before the ruck formed, as he quite often was in position to do it all game.
A lot of our better players played poorly today and they'll be kicking themselves they couldn't have done better tonight.

Date: 06 October, 2017 20:39

Ref gave a penalty for Visser kicking the ball out of Fafs hands.

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 20:42

OK. Yes, we were playing under a penalty advantage. Thought they meant we got a pen against Swiel

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 20:50

42 - 26

To Quins

Posted by: ashtonshark (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 20:58

Guru Kelly jokes aside we really do have a psychological issue with away games. 7 wins out of the last 36 away in the league (3 of those were against the team that was eventually relegated) and 1 in the last 14 and regularly shipping 40+ points. That really is unacceptable on any level

For 20 mins in that 2nd half we switched on, played like a professional rugby team and did well. For the other 60 mins we were just a shambles. Dumb, brainless rugby, inexcusable mistakes, dreadful defensive set up, no line speed in defence, no bite or spark in attack. We don't learn from mistakes and we don't make good decisions under pressure or even not under pressure.

As happy and positive as I was last week I'm equally dismayed and unhappy this week. Forget top 6, its lower table mediocrity for this side even with the quality additions unless something radically changes in out approach and attitude to away games

And just one other thing, what was O'Conner doing on the bench. If he's fit then play him from the start and take him off after 50 or 60 if necessary. No pint bringing him n when the game is gone

I'm really annoyed and frustrated. I so desperately want Sale to do well, or even just not be crap, but we just @#$%& it up ourselves so often

Rant over

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 21:25 by ashtonshark.

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 21:03

68 point thriller.

Date: 06 October, 2017 21:05

21-0 down after 23 mins and game over by half time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 21:07 by ashtonshark.

Posted by: HaleShark (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 21:16

Well played Quins they deserved the victory.

We had a nightmare first 25 minutes and if you play like that then you'll always be in trouble. Credit in some regards to our lads to get the 1 bonus point and the players off the bench had some impact, T.J. particularly, he's done that a few times off the bench with high-energy. Almost a super-sub.

Not sure though why Dimes insists on giving the starting XV five minutes or so in the 2nd-half before making changes, those changes were apparent by halftime. If you adopt that tactic it makes it easier for the opposition as Quins starting XV have had 5 minutes to get into the tempo game.

Looks like we took lesson's from Gloucester by gifting a number of interceptions but we got one back from Sam James.

Danny Care easily won the battle of the 9's and deserved the man of the match. Faf had a bad night and drove me mad with his insistence on box kicking. I know it's good but tonight it wasn't and in the latter stages when there was a glimmer of a 2nd-point he kicked it away cheaply when by that stage it was obvious to keep the ball in hand. Add to that why did he keep drifting to the wing in defense, he did it a few times.

Ross didn't do himself any favours with the ref, quote 'if I've told you once, I've told you 10 times.......' if you keep on at the ref you'll annoy him so much he'll not give you marginal decisions.

Credit to Quins who were desperate to not make it 3 losses in a row, they have a better intensity and that's our downfall, the better teams a just a bit better than us at that and those small margins make the difference. Marler is a great player, such a handful and the the young lad Marcus Smith is one of the best new English talents I've seen for a while. He's going to be an England player soon and given the depth England have that's some credit to him.

All in all a frustrating night, it's ridiculous that we're such a different side away from home. We really need to address this otherwise we won't move forward much.

Expect to see O'Connor starting at 10 soon.

Posted by: M5 Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 21:30

Why is our away form so bad? If the players can play so well at home, they should at least be able to compete away from AJB. Is this the players not doing what Dimes tells them to do, or is Dimes getting it wrong?

Date: 06 October, 2017 21:37

Other sides seem to do their homework on us (cf Newcastle) but we don't seem to do so on them.

Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 21:41

coaching then?

Posted by: C3Q (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 21:42

We do seem to have some sort of hang up playing away from home. It's easy from my arm chair but we should perhaps try to starve the home team of possession and territory in the early stages. It would also allow us to settle and find our feet before half time.

I'm glad I gave up away games some years ago after feeling the team hadn't turned up.

I don't like to criticise players but I get frustrated with commentators quotes like "Ioane has added so many options since he came on". I'm sorry, but IMHO he offers only one option which everyone knows. He is surely the easiest player to set a defence plan for. However, he does make Strauss look more like a donkey row in terms of pace.

It would be great to have some line breaking forwards for our undoubtably talented backs to feed off. We have been lightweight for too long.

Credit to them for coming back so well in the second half.

V pleased that Sam James seems OK. He is such a high class and versatile player.

Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 21:44

that first para might make you a coaching genius C3Q. If only dimes and forshaw had thought of it.

Date: 06 October, 2017 21:55

Making sure you stay in the game in the early stages...what a ridiculous idea!! Far better to either aimlessly kick the ball away or try to play champagne rugby and attempt miracle plays in your own 22, cough the ball up and give away easy points

Current Page: 5 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net