Pierre Schoeman & the Loosehead Problem
Posted by: RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 10:00

Rugby Paper has us in the hunt for Pierre Schoeman, a loosehead prop from the Bulls. Only 23, played a decent amount and looks to be physically a good sized lad.

I then saw on Twitter from ĎThe Shark Tankí that Glasgow Warriors have also gone in for him and have offered the possibility of Scotland representation as a sweetener. The curse of the project player could really do us over here.

We really need an effective replacement for Ross Harrison for the sake of the side and Ross. The poor lad canít be expected to play 80 min week in week out and still improve and show his true potential on the field. Imagine if he could take all that work he puts in over 80 and jam it into a 50/60 knife performance. I think it would not only up his dynamism levels and give him an opportunity to look as good as say Genge/Hepburn/Mako/Marler in the loose, but itíll also mean the side gets an added impetus over the entire 80.

This issue is potentially an example of the wider problems faced by EPQ Sale players throughout the side. The likes of Beaumont, The Curries, Addison, James, Haley etc have often been subject to much increased game time/positional changes/ rushed back from injury and that canít help their development in the long run.

You often see with Sale are fantastic breakthrough season from a player, followed by a turgid or injury plagued second season. Is that because just par for the course or is it symptomatic of having a smaller squad, a lack of depth and players being forced to do too much too soon?

Re: Pierre Schoeman & the Loosehead Problem
Posted by: DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 10:18

I don't really know of Schoeman. One gets the feeling that Ireland and Scotland and to an extent Wales are better able to tie in their clubs with their international setups.

Certainly, as you say Marvel, Ross Harrison could do with a bit more rest. For whatever reason the other options at Sale don't seem to be trusted, if that is the correct word.

As regards your last paragraph, I would add in that when a player is fresh on the scene faults aren't seen as readily as good points (unless a player is completely useless). Just because a player is relatively unknown there is a tendency to over-egg his skill, or at least potential. I think this happens at all levels of the game. Of course there are those who turn out to be better than the hype that surrounds them but most are really no better and no worse than the other options.i think you can argue your last point almost with two extremes. I do believe if someone has really 'got it' that he will cope with whatever is thrown at him. Smith, at Harlequins, looks to be one of those.

Re: Pierre Schoeman & the Loosehead Problem
Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 17:15

Not having as good a season and being injured are probably two different things though they can be linked.
Addison has been crocked from day one. He played a few games at the back end one of our disasterous seasons. Then he was emergency centre with Higgins at the start of next season. Pretty sure he was injured soon after.
Players get injured whatever their age.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net