O/T Warburton Bridge now Toast
Posted by: Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 03 June, 2018 13:48

Quite literally, if you’ll pardon the awful loaf-related joke.

The toll booth has been burnt out following a particularly awful day of congestion. Just read it in yesterday’s Times (not searched out he online link given It’ll be paywalled.

Local residents - while being careful not to cheer the arsonist(s) too much - are reportedly delighted at the lack of traffic, stress and congestion as a result.

Peel Ports, meanwhile, are now apparently planning to upgrade the bridge!including a video tolling system. Which naturally will mean the toll is going to go up....

Re: O/T Warburton Bridge now Toast
Posted by: Yonah (IP Logged)
Date: 03 June, 2018 14:09

The dastardly deed happened early one morning a couple of weeks ago. Peel caused mayhem last week by trying to close the bridge off for “repairs”. Trafford Council stopped them as they hadn’t applied for road closure. Highways England even displayed the bridge closure and caused pandemonium on the M6 and 60.
The belief is that the covenant on the toll bridge is limited to half a crown(12p). ANPR etc has been muted but it is 50/50 for and against. As an “infrequent” user why should I register.... etc etc.

Posted by: Timpers (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2018 18:12

I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave earlier, in January, viz

"The Act allowing the bridge to be built says the company MAY charge tolls, and the toll for a carriage propelled by any means other than a horse, is two shillings and sixpence, i.e. 12p! In that respect, respect to Peel Holdings for not increasing the toll since the Act was passed in 1863."

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2018 22:55

Quote:
Timpers
I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave earlier, in January, viz

Your first mistake was expecting anybody to still read Viz winking smiley

Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 07:33

Follow them on Twitter - the posts are hilarious.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Posted by: H's Dad... (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 08:17

The wording of the 1863 Act referred to is quite specific. The toll fee is fixed at 12p. There is no provision for increasing it. Unless the Act is modified in parliament there cannot be any variation of it. Under such circumstances I'm not quite sure why posters expect an increase.

Posted by: Yonah (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 14:13

Not withstanding what an Act of Parliament decrees but everybody around here would like to see the bridge toll free.
The q’s, both ways am and pm, are not conducive to reducing stress. Even if you are NOT using the bridge you are caught up in it.
Sorry that should all be in the past tense since the “illegal “ act of destroying the toll booth has reduced the q’s to a minimum. This, for some, has proven the point that the toll creates the q.

Posted by: Timpers (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 16:55

Very true Yareet, and by the way, I am thanks marra.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net