Current Page: 1 of 4
De Klerk with SAfrica
Posted by: Newcastle under Lyme RUFC Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2018 21:25

I’m reading lots of stuff about Faf missing a large proportion of next season so I thought it warranted a new thread.

Having done a quick Google the Rugby Championship runs from 16 August- 6 October. Then there are autumn internationals.

I know permission has already been granted for him to play in the Championship. The same applies to Le Roux but not Vermeulen who I think will be in Japan.

Do you think Sale might request / insist he misses some/ all of the Autumn Tests so in theory we only lose him for September and part of October?

Re: De Klerk with SAfrica
Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2018 21:30

Not sure that will be in our best interests.

Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2018 21:42

I don't think we will, we've always been pretty accommodating with players wanting to play internationals (Dimes campaigning for the PRL to allow peel to play for the barbarians for example)
Plus we need to keep him sweet - If we start putting limits on his international career I'm sure there's a dozen other clubs who would love to sign him and let him play as much international rugby as he wants.

It's a bad situation to be in, especially as he'll need some rest when he does return from international duty, But that's the price you pay for signing world class players.

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2018 22:03

Quote:
Olyy
If we start putting limits on his international career I'm sure there's a dozen other clubs who would love to sign him and let him play as much international rugby as he wants.

Surely he did that himself when he signed a contract to play outside SA knowing it would make him ineligible for selection!

Given that there’s unlikely to be any form of compensation from the SARFU I hope there is a clause in the players contracts to say they take a %%% wage cut in the periods they’re away from their employer, he’ll be getting about £100K whilst away from Sale if his contract rumours are correct.

Imagine your employer paying you your full wages whilst you went to work for another company for 5 months.

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2018 03:32

Surely he signed in the full knowledge that it DIDN'T make him ineligible for selection this year, with the rules relaxed pre World Cup. We certainly signed him in the full knowledge that he had international ambitions. I doubt very much that there would be a wage reduction for call ups in a contract (though it is of course possible) rather that the remuneration negotiated is done so considering the risk of losing the player for a certain period of time

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2018 06:21

Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
Olyy
If we start putting limits on his international career I'm sure there's a dozen other clubs who would love to sign him and let him play as much international rugby as he wants.

Surely he did that himself when he signed a contract to play outside SA knowing it would make him ineligible for selection!

Given that there’s unlikely to be any form of compensation from the SARFU I hope there is a clause in the players contracts to say they take a %%% wage cut in the periods they’re away from their employer, he’ll be getting about £100K whilst away from Sale if his contract rumours are correct.

Imagine your employer paying you your full wages whilst you went to work for another company for 5 months.

But the corollary to that situation would be that Rhys Webb should be paid more by Toulon. He was signed as a current Wales international but the rules were then changed so he’s ineligible. I can’t see that Boudjellal agreed that because Webb’s available more, he should be paid more.

Come contract re-negotiation time, of course, the situation changes. As it would with Faf.

Posted by: StalyShark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2018 07:47

Does anyone know if Piet van Zyl has found a new club after Irish’s relegation? 3 month deal could be an idea for Faf cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2018 07:58 by StalyShark.

Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2018 07:50

I suspect that most players contracts are a mix of basic salary, appearance money, bonus incentives, endorsements etc

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2018 08:52

Quote:
PoyntonShark
Surely he signed in the full knowledge that it DIDN'T make him ineligible for selection this year, with the rules relaxed pre World Cup.

Apologies, I didn't realise it was the case that SA's policy was already going to be relaxed in the year leading up to a WC at the point at which Faf signed, I thought it was similar to England’s policy and was then amended to only exclude overseas players with less than 30 caps from selections (Faf had 11 when he joined).

I thought Rassie Erasmus reversed the policy when he was appointed earlier this year.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2018 09:14 by ale shark.

Posted by: dickiedudeles (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2018 11:17

I don't think we have much say in if he plays or not, his release would be covered under regulation 9 for the championship and any autumn internationals not scheduled outside the window.

Outside the window we're not supposed to release to any union that doesn't have a collective bargain with PRL (Like England do). Saints did it with North for Wales and got a fine from PRL every time (I think Wales vs SA was outside and Faf didn't feature there, not sure if SA have any more of them this year).

Posted by: Barend (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2018 18:20

Piet van Zyl has signed for Stade Francais.

Date: 05 July, 2018 20:22

[quote Barend]Piet van Zyl has signed for Stade Francais.[/quotae]

Ah. Thanks. Ross Cronje for a Lions reunion?

Posted by: NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 10:56

Watching the Reds v Rebels match, I would happily take Michael Ruru on short term loan. He is unlikely to be called up to the Wallabies but is a decent all-round 9 with smart, sharp distribution.

Date: 06 July, 2018 12:05

Quote:
NorthernMaori
Watching the Reds v Rebels match, I would happily take Michael Ruru on short term loan. He is unlikely to be called up to the Wallabies but is a decent all-round 9 with smart, sharp distribution.

Problem with the antipodeans is that you then couldn't play both JOC and Bryn at the same time.

Posted by: NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 14:23

Seeing as it's unlikely that JOC will be fit for the start then that could be ok

Posted by: WhatKatySaid (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 11:12

It's a big shame that we never got Ben Spencer when the chance was there. Would have been a great backup!

JOC can play 9 but I've never been a fan of playing people out of positions.. it's not Sunday league it's a pro sport.

Posted by: MikeGC (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 12:24

Quote:
WhatKatySaid
It's a big shame that we never got Ben Spencer when the chance was there. Would have been a great backup!
JOC can play 9 but I've never been a fan of playing people out of positions.. it's not Sunday league it's a pro sport.

I don't think that there was ever any chance of Ben playing at the Sharks (personal comment via a family member)

edit - spelling mistook

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 14:45 by MikeGC.

Posted by: Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 15:30

Iirc, at the bbq , dimes indicated that Faf will be available at the start of the season and his autumn international duties will be mostly restricted to the games in uk and Ireland ....

Posted by: Crutch (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 19:19

Great news if that's the case

Posted by: Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 20:39

Yep, he commented on the club’s good relationships with international coaches (bar EJ) and suggested we not be too worried about Faf being absent for a long time.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net