The Premiership A Visual Guide
Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2018 13:11

Hello, I hope you do not mind a visitor highlighting an interesting article on the Bath Board.
Bath Salmon, a regular COML contributor, has analysed the history of the Aviva Premiership (and its predecessor the Courage League) going back to 1987.

Hes presented this in visual form in a number of interesting interactive graphics.

You can check out the performance of all 16 clubs that have graced the Premiership in its 31 year professional history since 1997.

Did you also know that a further 11 clubs had at least one top flight league season in the 10 years of the amateur leagues?

Check out the details on Come On My Lovers, here:
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

PG Tips

Re: The Premiership A Visual Guide
Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2018 13:24

ooh, I'm going to guess at the amateur clubs before I click the link.

Orrell
West Hartlepool
Richmond
London Scottish
Fylde ?
Otley ?
Liverpool St Helens ?
Coventry ?
Nottingham

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2018 15:06

Quote:
MartWhit
ooh, I'm going to guess at the amateur clubs before I click the link.
Orrell
West Hartlepool
Richmond
London Scottish
Fylde ?
Otley ?
Liverpool St Helens ?
Coventry ?
Nottingham

West Hartlepool and Richmond were both in the pro era. Scottish as well I think.

That said,I'm not sure there is a 31 year history of professional leagues....

Posted by: BathSalmon (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2018 15:53

No you are right. The 31 years PG refers to includes about 9 seasons of amateur era! But there are 31 years in the visualisation (just not all of them pro!).

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2018 16:16

I stand corrected on the 31 years -yes, it includes amateur years.

The 11 clubs I refer to should actually be 9 as I misread the tables. London Scottish 1998 & Bedford 1999 appeared in the Pro era. The other 9 were:

Richmond, West Hartlepool, Nottingham, Orrell, Rosslyn Park, Moseley, Waterloo, Liverpool St Helens & Rugby -all before 1997.

PG

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 15 August, 2018 16:39

Interesting. Thanks for sharing PG.

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2018 15:21

Quote:
P G Tips
I stand corrected on the 31 years -yes, it includes amateur years.
The 11 clubs I refer to should actually be 9 as I misread the tables. London Scottish 1998 & Bedford 1999 appeared in the Pro era. The other 9 were:

Richmond, West Hartlepool, Nottingham, Orrell, Rosslyn Park, Moseley, Waterloo, Liverpool St Helens & Rugby -all before 1997.

PG

I may be misunderstanding but Richmond and West Hartlepool definitely played in the top flight in the pro era.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net