View From The 22 - Alternative Forum
Posted by: 23Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 14:56

This post has been allowed by the Major

On the SportsNetwork Privacy thread Major mentioned about finding a new home for the forum before Sports Network totally breaks. I sent him a PM about a site I made a few years ago because I wasn't a fan of Sports Network but never actually did anything with it, however now with the agressive adverts and selling of data I thought it would be a good time to offer View From The 22 as an alternative to here.

https://forum.viewfromthe22.com/index.php

The forum has plenty of features which make it a more attractive option to here including

- An alert system - Easily see when someone has quoted, mentioned or PM'ed you on the forum
- Likes/Dislikes system - Upvote or downvotes peoples posts
- Mentions - Get notified when someone @'s your username
- Topic Prefixes - You can add prefixes to your post to help make them easier to find, you can then click on a prefix to filter down to all the posts with that prefix eg a match thread
- Less obtrusive adverts - To help fund the site we can't avoid them however there's only four places where they'll be on the site and none of them are aggressive - Header, footer, sidebar and after the first post in a thread

Take a look around and see what you think, if you have any questions let me know and I'll reply as soon as possible!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 15:21 by Major Bloodnok.

Re: View From The 22 - Alternative Forum
Posted by: dinogyro (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 11:15

Well, it certainly looks a lot better!

To make it successful, it just needs all of us to move there.

Posted by: hilly07 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 12:36

Really like the tags, eg match thread

Looks positive

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2018 03:49

Had a little play, looks fine to me. Has pretty much everything that is here, with more features to boot. Sensitive to where you click thread title to get it to go to the thread, which is a little confusing at first. Couldn't get it to embed video, but that may be blocked by administrator, it still displayed hyperlink to video.

Can't spot any highlighting of new or unread posts/topics. Can obviously do it, as there is an option to mark topics as read.

Search function works. Woohoo!

Couldn't imagine too much resistance or complication (from a poster perspective) to changing.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Posted by: ageinghoody (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2018 08:28

Looks good to me.

The frequency of lock-ups and crashes when using rugby network has been increasing for some time. Even now my security is warning me that I should be cautious connecting to this URL.

Date: 09 November, 2018 09:20

Quote:
PoyntonShark
Had a little play, looks fine to me. Has pretty much everything that is here, with more features to boot. Sensitive to where you click thread title to get it to go to the thread, which is a little confusing at first. Couldn't get it to embed video, but that may be blocked by administrator, it still displayed hyperlink to video.

Can't spot any highlighting of new or unread posts/topics. Can obviously do it, as there is an option to mark topics as read.

Search function works. Woohoo!

Couldn't imagine too much resistance or complication (from a poster perspective) to changing.

Cheers for pointing that out Poynton, I've added a bit of code so it shows unread on the homepage where there's new posts

https://i.imgur.com/NOUKDWv.png

On the actual forum in the sidebar I've got it to show unread there too but if the forum move works across a few of the sites that'll get lost because it only shows the 5 most recent

https://i.imgur.com/8n8NpSv.png

Currently to show there's an unread post it shows up as a star which isn't the most logical so I just need to find where the code is stored for that bit and I'll add an unread label for that bit too!

https://i.imgur.com/kg7L788.png

Date: 09 November, 2018 09:38

Are you viewing a test platform? I still don't see any difference on the 'live' version. Noting on the index to indicate an unread post in Sale Sharks, no star against your new post, entitled Unread. It looks exactly the same as the other posts. There is no marker in the sidebar either.

'Cause we were raised

Date: 09 November, 2018 09:39

Spooky, whilst typing that, and checking view from, it has changed I now have all the unread markers as mentioned. Although, a little worryingly, those posts are no longer 'unread'.

'Cause we were raised

Date: 09 November, 2018 10:11

I just had to refresh the cache to get them to show so it should even itself out

Date: 09 November, 2018 10:45

Quote:
PoyntonShark
Couldn't get it to embed video, but that may be blocked by administrator, it still displayed hyperlink to video.

Cheers for that suggestion too, updated it so it auto embeds a link from Youtube, Facebook, Twitter etc

https://forum.viewfromthe22.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14

Posted by: emerging shark (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2018 16:31

Is this a club site? who's Alex? looks too official for me...

Date: 09 November, 2018 16:40

I'm Alex and it's what I created, can be customised anyway people want smiling smiley

Posted by: Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2018 19:28

Php forums work really well - think I brought up the topic a few months ago and 23 mentioned then heíd done some work on it. Itíd be a massive improvement on here. Every few months I suddenly get redirected to a spam site so I donít trust this place one bit.

Posted by: H's Dad... (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2018 10:52

Alex, would you be willing to hand over actual ownership of the board vehicle to, say, half a dozen editors of the current Premership Clubs on Sportnetwork +/_ Gloucester etc so that the Premiership Rugby Posting Community generally ran it and got you to develope it as they wanted themselves? You could obviously still remain as the chief engineer and doer....

It certainly seems to have numerous advantages over our current, highly flawed vehicle, but it seems to me that some might hesitate to join in if it was owned lock stock and barrel by one individual.To work well it really would need the majority of clubs to use it.

Posted by: iBozz (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2018 11:20

Iíve had a quick look and it seems OK. However, I canít see any difference between read and unread/new posts.

I know it has been mentioned before and it maybe that it is just me being an idiot.

Iím looking on an iPad Pro under iOS v12.1 (16B92)

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Date: 13 November, 2018 13:47

Quote:
H's Dad...
Alex, would you be willing to hand over actual ownership of the board vehicle to, say, half a dozen editors of the current Premership Clubs on Sportnetwork +/_ Gloucester etc so that the Premiership Rugby Posting Community generally ran it and got you to develope it as they wanted themselves? You could obviously still remain as the chief engineer and doer....
It certainly seems to have numerous advantages over our current, highly flawed vehicle, but it seems to me that some might hesitate to join in if it was owned lock stock and barrel by one individual.To work well it really would need the majority of clubs to use it.

My hope was it would be run in a similar way to here, have an appointed mod team to take care of each section/club and for that they'd get a stake in the sites revenue as a thank you for the effort they put in.

Date: 13 November, 2018 15:33

Quote:
iBozz
Iíve had a quick look and it seems OK. However, I canít see any difference between read and unread/new posts.
I know it has been mentioned before and it maybe that it is just me being an idiot.

Iím looking on an iPad Pro under iOS v12.1 (16B92)

iBozz - I assume you didn't log in when you viewed the forum? It only shows as unread if you're logged in as it wouldn't be able to track as a guest what you've seen v what you've not seen

Posted by: Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2018 20:45

Yep, and it should be possible to have a ďview new postsĒ link each time you visit

Posted by: dinogyro (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2018 13:25

Quote:
Pappje Shark
Yep, and it should be possible to have a ďview new postsĒ link each time you visit

That would be really useful.Rather than having to scroll to the end of each thread all the time.

Date: 15 November, 2018 14:51

There's a button next to authors name which takes you to the latest post

Also if you click forum in the menu bar there's an option to unread posts

https://forum.viewfromthe22.com/search.php?search_id=unreadposts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/11/2018 15:09 by 23Shark.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net