Current Page: 1 of 3
Jean-Luc Du Preez
Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2018 13:59

Talk is that we've signed him on a three month deal.

Undoubtedly a great player, but I don't understand why we'd bring him in on a short term loan?

We're missing T.Curry for 6-8 weeks, but we've got depth in the backrow, especially as Langdon seems to have overtaken Neild and Neild is back playing in the backrow.

Re: Jean-Luc Du Preez
Posted by: 2007dwain (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2018 14:13

Big bloke could add some needed size and Strauss is away with Scotland

Posted by: thekeg (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2018 14:26

With Strauss away snd curry/Moore out I think it makes sense to have a bit of extra cover, assuming no younger players are capable of stepping up. If another player went down we’d be short.

Not sure Nield can be said to have reverted to back row on the basis of one match. I’d rather we let him focus on playing 2

Date: 11 November, 2018 15:23

Had completely forgotten Strauss was away with Scotland, makes more sense now.

I'm still unconvinced by Neild at 2 and it seems like Langdon has taken his chance with both hands during the prem cup

Posted by: MikeGC (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2018 16:22

Cue a name change "Salford Saffers"

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2018 17:12

Isn’t there another brother? May as well have them all.

Date: 11 November, 2018 17:47

Quote:
clutch
Isn’t there another brother? May as well have them all.
Going to Exeter on a short term deal, apparently.

Starting to sound like they all wanted a European holiday and have managed to find a way to see the sights on their days off and get paid for it grinning smiley

Date: 11 November, 2018 20:01

Hopefully we can turn this into a permanent signing post World Cup, assuming it works out well. He looks like a big powerful ball carrier and could be a great addition. I can see that it might work well with Ross at 8 and Ben curry at 7. The main issue with Ross playing 8 is that we then lack a decent carrier at 6, but this could change that dynamic.

Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2018 14:44

For me this is a kick in the teeth for George Nott, who could be a quite capable 3 month backup at 6. Indeed I thought he performed OK vs Sarries in that position. Nonetheless, I do think we need cover.

You've basically got:
6 - Ross, Nott/Du Preez
7 - B Curry, Ross
8, Strauss, Beaumont
So frankly we are already short on numbers with just a single injury to a Curry

At a pinch you can add Phillips, Nield, Dugdale and maybe eventually Moore to that list, but they are all a big step down from the list above.

Posted by: H's Dad... (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2018 16:17

Nield has won several MOM awards playing 6 for Sale Sharks. To indicate he is "a big step down" from an unknown Saffer is pretty insulting and complete Rhino P**!

Posted by: NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2018 16:24

From your list there MartWhit it looks like we could do with Du Preez, especially if we are relying on Ross to play 6 and cover 7.

I agree that Nott may take it as a bit of knock; and he could get the hump and look to move on. That would be a great shame as he could be a great 6 if given a consistent run in the team.

Having Jean-Luc would be a good thing, IMHO, it could provided added enthusiasm over the short term. At this point in time I would be opposed to a long term deal, all subject to change based on performances obviously, as I would see the Club start to turn away from being a Club for the North West, producing our own players. Maybe that's the price to pay for success in the shorter term!?

Date: 12 November, 2018 18:29

Quote:
H's Dad...
Nield has won several MOM awards playing 6 for Sale Sharks. To indicate he is "a big step down" from an unknown Saffer is pretty insulting and complete Rhino P**!

I kind of agree, but I do think that if he’s been bulking up to play hooker for 18 months he’s likely to be increasingly less effective as back row cover. I’d also rather we didn’t keep switching him around and let him settle at hooker.

Also “unknown saffer” might be accurate in the sense that he’s not played for us, but 13 caps at 23 yo in a side that has stacks of options there suggests we can have certain expectations about what he’ll bring. We aren’t discussing someone who’s been plucked out of obscurity

Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2018 18:37

I was rather driving at what Keg said Re Nield. I see him as a hooker and stopgap back row now. Both he and Phillips are 1st XV material, but in other positions.

But thanks for being a perfectly sanscrimonious @#$%& about it Hs D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 18:39 by MartWhit.

Posted by: Crutch (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2018 19:54

Nott is captain of the Jets. I’m hoping he’s just being given maximum game time this year before transitioning to first team next year. He seems very happy when interviewed.

Posted by: H's Dad... (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2018 21:23

Just be more careful in your choice of words Martwit.
Saying he might not be as effective as a 6, now he's gained weight is perfectly ok.

I doubt you would say 'Cameron you are a big step down from our other options at six' to his face.
i.e. Obey the board guidelines.
There is still a big debate over where Cam's best position is, not only amongst supporters.
In terms you mighty understand "stop being such an ignorant richard head".(Sm14)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 21:25 by H's Dad....

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2018 21:50

What board guidelines? Don’t say anything you wouldn’t say to a players face? That would make for a very quiet board

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 21:50 by clutch.

Posted by: Monty9 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2018 23:07

Has no one else picked up on the fact that MartWhit’ first response to us potentially signing a world class player is how it will affect another player, yet MW is the one who constantly criticises the club for not having a big enough squad. How does he think a squad grows?

The logic in your brain genuinely puzzles me. Whatever the club does while SD is in charge will always be wrong for you.

Posted by: Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2018 06:32

The reality is if we sign stronger players then some of the home grown younger players will drop down the pecking order who normally see 1st team match time due to our smaller squad. An example of this will be Luke James who looks a great player however when we are full strength is unlikely to be a starter.

Posted by: romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2018 08:01

Any idea when the Jean-Luc will arrive/play his first game for us?

Posted by: Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2018 09:27

Quote:
romanfaithfull
Any idea when the Jean-Luc will arrive/play his first game for us?
We don't even know when he'll be announced as a signing yet lol!

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net