Match report 24/11/18: Sale 18 Northampton 13
Posted by: Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
Date: 28 November, 2018 21:55

Sorry, got a bit tied up with other things over the last couple of days.

Report is here.

I'll try and do something for the Bath game, since it's on telly, and I'll be in Bordeaux for that one. I don't get back till the Monday, though, so don't expect anything before the Wednesday.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Re: Match report 24/11/18: Sale 18 Northampton 13
Posted by: johneverton (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2018 14:37

Very good, Major. Think we'd all agree that the team played better than the final score might suggest. Some team's 'going to get it in the neck' before too long.

Posted by: Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2018 22:20

Seconded.

And whilst I agree with the notion of the wince at Saints getting the LBP penalty, that came directly from Sir JP of Doyle missing a ball going clearly forward. Bah humbug and all that.

Posted by: Crutch (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2018 22:49

Absolutely agree with your view of the game major - definitely a number of positives to take.

What was particularly galling about the final pen is I believe it was for offside, which the ref apparently seemed to have forgotten about for the rest of the match.

Posted by: dinogyro (IP Logged)
Date: 30 November, 2018 08:52

At the risk of further complication, couldn't the game be reviewed afterwards for offsides and persistent offenders be penalised?

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 30 November, 2018 10:08

Quote:
dinogyro
At the risk of further complication, couldn't the game be reviewed afterwards for offsides and persistent offenders be penalised?

That would only benefit other teams though, it's no use to Sale if retrospective action is taken and players get banned against other teams in following weeks. Maybe just change the scores and give us five league points every week (Sm100)

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 09:31

Quote:
ale shark
Quote:
dinogyro

That would only benefit other teams though, it's no use to Sale if retrospective action is taken and players get banned against other teams in following weeks. Maybe just change the scores and give us five league points every week (Sm100)

Two points:

Wouldn’t we also be the beneficiaries of misdeeds committed the previous week? On balance these things would probably even out.

If players knew that they are less likely to get away with being offside - even retrospectively - they’d be less likely to commit the misdeed.

That said, I think we can go to far with citings/reviews. I heard Nigel Owens the other day discussing the TMO and he used the analogy of a tightrope walker’s safety net. Without one, you tend to try that bit harder to be correct.

The current level of a red card offence feels about right to me.

Also, I’d guess the team’s analysts can spot which teams are offside frequently and bring this information to the ref. They’d also see which refs allow players to be offside and should be playing accordingly.

Posted by: Flumpty (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 09:42

Quote:
Yareet

Also, I’d guess the team’s analysts can spot which teams are offside frequently and bring this information to the ref. They’d also see which refs allow players to be offside and should be playing accordingly.

I think that is one of the fundamentals of game management - early on, see what the referee is going to play on/ping you for and then do what every player is coached to do, play to the whistle.
A good example being JP Doyle, who seems to allow a LOT of competition for the ball in a ruck situation, compared to (for examaple) another ref who will nearly intermediately blow for not releasing/not rolling away in a tackle situation.

Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 10:00

For many seasons we have shown little nous/rugby brain in playing to the ref. (ditto England).

Compare the attitude of Exeter (& Ireland). The difference is down to coaching with Baxter & Schmidt being way ahead of their peers.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net