Current Page: 1 of 2
Team for Bordeaux
Posted by: BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 06:00

Does anyone know if our recent signings - the Du Preez Bros and Bristow - are eligible for the European games? Are they in the mix for the forthcoming weekends?

Re: Team for Bordeaux
Posted by: Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 08:29

They are on the EPC players list.
[www.epcrugby.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 08:33 by Timperley Shark.

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 08:45

Squad of 49 on that list

Posted by: Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 09:18

[www.epcrugby.com]

If I read this correctly, providing they have been registered, they can play.As long as the 2 "non European" player rule is not exceeded.

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 09:36

South Africans are 'Kolpak' therefore treated as European.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Posted by: NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 10:39

The question is..do we go all out in the match and play a rotated team at home, giving the frontline players a week off before a crunch game in the Prem? Or do we rotate for the away game, hoping to pick up a bonus point or 2 and bring first team players back for the home game to try and draw a crowd?

Posted by: camshark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 10:39

Either way I personally hope we rest some players ahead of Bordeaux and Bristol home, Gloucester away and Sarries home in the new year. A tough and important group of matches.
Even though I'm heading off to Bordeaux, I won't be upset if Harrison, WGJ, Webber, Curry, Ross and Faf are non starters.

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 11:59

We have been putting out strong teams. I expect this to continue. We will make a few changes Im sure.

Posted by: WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 12:17

Quote:
camshark
Either way I personally hope we rest some players ahead of Bordeaux and Bristol home, Gloucester away and Sarries home in the new year. A tough and important group of matches.
Even though I'm heading off to Bordeaux, I won't be upset if Harrison, WGJ, Webber, Curry, Ross and Faf are non starters.

I'm no doctor but I would imagine WGJ needs a few weeks off to rest whatever it is that is causing him problems in the neck/shoulder...

Posted by: BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 12:30

Thanks for that.

I think we should put out a strong team. We are one of three teams in the plate comp with max points so far. If we are to stand a chance of a good ranking at the end of the current of this stage we need to have maximum points to get as high a ranking for the knockout stages as possible. A strong team doesn't mean no players rotated, but I would be against wholesale changes. moreover, because of injuries this season we haven't seen any consistent backline, so they can't build an understanding.

Date: 05 December, 2018 13:36

I think we can afford to loose one game and still be at the top of the group at the end of the group stages, and qualify for a home quarter. If we are to loose one this is the one . By the time we go to Connacht well have a better idea on how the group is shaping and then with Perpignan to come we hopefully will be in a strong position.
Just trying to be pragmatic, that was an awesome performance at Bath, some of the players were out on their feet and need a rest, I would argue that the following 4 games after this weekend will shape our season.

Posted by: jaytom (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 14:11

I would go for a strong team. Win this one and we are very well placed to qualify. If we lose and Connacht win, the pool is very much open.

Date: 05 December, 2018 14:51

Quote:
jaytom
I would go for a strong team. Win this one and we are very well placed to qualify. If we lose and Connacht win, the pool is very much open.

Just interested to know who would you rest against :
Bordeaux ( H)
Bristol. (H)
Gloucester. (A)
Sarries. (H)

Or would you play them all Ross, Harrison,Curry, Webber, WGJ, Faf. ?

Personally I think the next four games are more important than Bordeaux away, ( and we have to try and keep our small squad fresh.)
Connacht currently have four points in the group , we have nine.

Posted by: StalyShark (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 14:54

Im heavily biased as Im treating a few people to the Black Friday hospitality deal for the home game but I'd semi-rest some key players for this game so Id go:

Bristow
Langdon
Jones
Evans
Ostrikov
Nott
Du Preez
Strauss
Cliff
Du Preez
Odogwu (McGuigan if fit)
L James
JOC
Reed
Ashton

Nield (if fit)/Webber
Harrison/Flynn (if fit)
Tarus
Postlethwaite
Moore (if fit)/Dugdale
Warr
Wilkinson
McGuigan/Odogwu

Posted by: NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 15:03

Funnily StalyShark I picked the same team earlier, but then thought would it be better that to play a stronger team away from home; against a French club that traditionally don't travel well. This would:

a) Enable us to control the group with a win, effectively killing off their ambitions in the tournament, making the home game potentially easier.

and

b) Allow for any injuries to first team players that may occur during European games, an extra week to recover before we get back into the Prem fixtures which are clearly vital this season.

Date: 05 December, 2018 15:12

I am heavily biased.

Saw Faf training on insta so I imagine hes playing so Im expecting a strong team.

Posted by: jaytom (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 15:19

Quote:
camshark
Quote:
jaytom

Just interested to know who would you rest against :
Bordeaux ( H)
Bristol. (H)
Gloucester. (A)
Sarries. (H)

Or would you play them all Ross, Harrison,Curry, Webber, WGJ, Faf. ?

Personally I think the next four games are more important than Bordeaux away, ( and we have to try and keep our small squad fresh.)
Connacht currently have four points in the group , we have nine.

Why not half this week, half the next? Or at least have them on the bench to make an impact if needed. Rest all for the PRC game against Falcons and see where we're at for the last 2 European games.

Date: 05 December, 2018 16:02

Broadly agree with Staly, decent compromise Jaytom.
I follow Bordeaux as my second team , they struggle away, but are very impressive at home having played Clermont, La Rochelle, Montpellier, Lyon, Toulon and Pau at home in the league and they are unbeaten, posting some big scores. They do not like to loose at home so we are facing a huge challenge , why not rest a few key players and go all out against them at AJB, and of course Bristol the following week.

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 16:16

I think that team is reasonable. Wouldnt play Cliff though. Du Preez is not a 7 from what I have seen so far.

Date: 05 December, 2018 17:20

Quote:
clutch
I think that team is reasonable. Wouldnt play Cliff though. Du Preez is not a 7 from what I have seen so far.

Neither do I but hes supposedly played all across the back, Ben Curry could do with a rest and the next cab off the 7 rank is Leatherbarrow or Dugdale so a bit harsh to throw them in I thought.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net