Current Page: 1 of 3
PLEASE READ: You can thank WiganSaler...
Posted by: Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 14:56

...for supplying a new front page story, which you should go and read.

Me, I was going to leave it until my Gloucester match report was ready. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of constantly asking for people to help me out by penning a few words for the front page and just being ignored. I now work on the assumption that you are happy to only talk during those periods when the board is active after a story is posted and that you are content to do something else at other times.

After the Glos game, I'm going to be handing over to iBozz and Tigger and they will be browbeating you all for stories to keep it alive over the summer. Treat them like you treat me and you'll find yourselves discussing events Sale Sharks-related with the family dog until the season starts again.

That, or we all push off to pastures new, cos it won't be long till sportnetwork just breaks irretrievably.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2019 17:42 by iBozz.

Re: You can thank WiganSaler...
Posted by: shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 16:40

Thank you to you Major, and all involved, for keeping this running.

But can I ask, with respect to:

"Frankly, I'm sick and tired of constantly asking for people to help me out by penning a few words for the front page and just being ignored."

Where did you (or someone) ask? Sorry, but I didn't see this, am sure someone could have put something together if it was clear it was needed?

(Maybe it is just me who missed this so sorry if that is the case.)

Also, it does seem quite unusual to have to make additional contributions to a web page to keep it running? We collectively post hundreds of words every week in the forums, can we not just copy/paste some of that to keep this running?

Posted by: iBozz (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 17:40

The Major has asked more times than I've had hot dinners over the years, not only when the Board "dies" but at other times as well.

As I understand it, sportnetwork's rules are that a front page article must be posted at least once a fortnight or the whole Sale site is suspended. We may agree or we may disagree with those rules but we have no say over them whatsoever and it isn't fair on The Major or the Moderators to have to do their administration jobs and in addition provide frequent copy.

There are enough regular readers and posters for regular articles to be submitted, surely?

I confess to never having submitted a front page story but then I do my bit as on of the Moderators and, to be frank, I like watching rugby but I am not nor ever have been in to the technical details of either the game or the players to the same extent as are many worthy denizens of this august and highly esteemed Forum. Anything I might write would be off topic, boring and technically incorrect. If you want to know how I've messed up on two major stage shows or how I discovered that a Vauxhall Belmont doesn't float then fine, I'll pen something but there will be those who moan (and yet won't pen something themselves!).

Ideally, you could email The Major (but remember that he takes a sabbatical during the summer months), Tigger, yukon or me (eighteensixtyone@gmail.com) with several stories so that we have a library of them for times of famine ...

... but ultimately it is up to ALL OF YOU and not up to us.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Date: 15 May, 2019 17:42

shaftsbury: most times, when I put up a post pointing at the latest match report (especially if there's going to be a long gap before the next one), I ask for contributions to tide us over or I put in a reminder that we will be needing contributions soon. That request is almost invariably ignored. Every season end, we have to plead and plead for articles to keep things alive over the summer. If I haven't asked recently, that's because I frankly can't be bothered any more. The period from Feb to the end of the season is often a problem, as we can frequently have four weeks between home games. It's been less bad this year, as there have a been a couple of away games on telly (I write reports on games I have seen live, so home games, games on telly and away games that I attend) that we wouldn't have had in the past.

Also, I'm not specifically referring to this outage - that took me by surprise, since SN had been using a three-week grace period for the last year, and this came after two weeks (as had previously been the case).

There are enough people on this forum with sufficient knowledge (or who are sufficiently vocal) that we could probably publish something every week without anyone (except me) having to contribute more than one story a year.

The SN developer wonks claim that the cut-off is needed to keep advertisers on board with fresh copy, otherwise they stop taking ad space. Someone else on the admin forum, who works in the business, pointed out that this is tosh, and advertising spend is governed by other factors.

Anyway, I am actually now getting even more fed up with sportnetwork. It's moribund. It will die soon and I suggest that we all decamp over to View from the 22 and give this place the elbow. (At least over there, we won't have the "publish or die" problem).

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg

Re: PLEASE READ: You can thank WiganSaler...
Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 17:57

Just to pick up on Shaftesbury's final point. Is it possible in times of famine to simply post anything (if necessary,not even rugby related) on the front page, just to keep it ticking over? Also, doex it have to fulfill any minimum/maximum size requirements?

PS thanks Major and Wigansaler for sorting the recent outage and best wishes to Finlay for a speedy recovery!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2019 18:01 by Chris1850.

Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 18:04

Yeah, what's the minimum word count?

"Sale announce the signing of Lood de Jager on a three year deal" - would that be enough?

Date: 15 May, 2019 19:32

There is no indication of a minimum word count, but we do need two paragraphs: the lead para, that's displayed on the front page and a body para, that is the meat of the article. The lead paragraph is usually the trickiest, which is why I've been faking it with my mock Victorian-pulp-novel-chapter-heading lead paragraphs this season.

A picture usually helps, since it's going to appear on the front page and piccies are always nice.

Maybe a few peeps could volunteer to take one of the new signings each, and write a short article about them: who they are, their strengths, how they might impact matches, etc. So, Olyy, rather than "Sale sign Lood de Jšger", how about "Lood de Jšger is a 'king huge lump who will put the wind up opponents something rotten, and here's why..."

That then becomes an interesting read for everyone, gives us all a bit of pre-season familiarity with the new players and can serve as a reference during the season.

One of those every couple of weeks, and maybe a season round-up from someone else, and I think we'd be pretty much sorted for the summer.

Posted by: Million Monkeys (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 19:53

Firstly, thanks Major, WiganSaler and all involved in keeping the site alive.

Does anybody know why the Harlequins forum still appears to be working fine (even though it is virtually unused nowadays), when their headline article looks like it is dated 20th March? Also, the Chiefs seems to date March 11th. Have I got the criteria for ďstaying aliveĒ correct?

Maybe we should just start posting on the Quins board if theirs doesnít expire and they arenít using it (Sm13)

Also, who owns the domain salerugby.co.uk? Assuming it isnít Sports Network then is there any value in trying to get it repointed to the new forum? That might help kick off the migration, if that is the desire.

Posted by: Tigger (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 20:46

For me we need to move. It's a pain in the @#$%& posting stories with pictures on this site. And not having the search function to check back is also a pain.
I will not be chasing anyone for a story. If you don't want it to die I need at least three in the bank so I can schedule the as I will be away from my laptop a lot and it is a pain to do it on your phone. So even if you sende a story it could be a week.before I post it.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2019 20:47 by Tigger.

Date: 15 May, 2019 22:54

MM: the sportnetwork software seems to be a law unto itself. Some people on the admin forum have noticed that there are sites that haven't been updated for a couple of years that haven't been disabled.

I'll have to check, but I think Anne B owns the salerugby.co.uk domain.

Tigger: note that the "clock" starts counting from when you upload a story, not from when it's posted. I fell foul of that a couple of years back - I uploaded a few stories and put a delayed "going live" date, thinking it ought to keep things going for a few weeks, but the forum died after two weeks. I asked the SN developers and they confirmed that it's the date of upload that's important, not the date it goes live on the site.

It's that kind of idiocy that really bugs me. It's not necessary - it's just lazy developers who can't be bothered to put themselves out a bit to make something that's useable, rather than easy. They could have automatically reinstated a forum when an article is posted but, no, you have to ask on the admin forum. Lazy.

All of this discussion is just making me more determined that this will be my (and, I hope, all of our) last season on sportnetwork. I've registered over on View from the 22, and I might just go and talk to myself over there for a while. You're all welcome to come over and join me.

Date: 15 May, 2019 23:00

I've just spotted another reason for moving over: viewfromthe22 has an SSL certificate, which this dump doesn't, so you get a secure connection.

Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 23:06

Me and Poynters are there now. Care for a threesome Major?!

Date: 15 May, 2019 23:20

Had a quick look in, but it's bedtime...

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 02:14

Fark, I was only on view from briefly, and missed out on a threesome. Story of my life.

Is it just me, or is anyone else sensing that The Major has fallen out of love with Sport Network?.

I'm as guilty is anyone of ignoring The Major's pleas for articles, just haven't the time and see very litle live rugby. The idea of putting something together for the new boys over the winter (downunder) is a good one. I'll offer up something on Akker if still required. I'm happy to move over to View From ASAP. Would be better if all prem fans were there, but surely not beyond the wit of an involved developer to link to the others wherever they are?

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Posted by: 23Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 07:50

Agreed Poynton, I'll see if there's a will to move away from the other boards. If we go hopefully it's the catalyst for a mass move, I'll see if I can work with The Major to get others across too because the one saving grace is having the ability to switch boards and post across them.

Major - more than happy to have a quick chat before or after the game about the forum, I only stand just to the other side of the camera stand in the South Stand

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2019 07:57 by 23Shark.

Date: 16 May, 2019 07:59

23Shark: is there a facility over there for static pages, so that we can have information sheets like advice for visiting fans, the aforementioned player profiles, etc? Also (don't let on), I quite enjoy doing the match reports and it would be nice to continue but without the requirement to generate regularly, when the home season is anything but regular.

Posted by: IOL Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 08:17

Iím up and running on the new board - fairly straightforward and smooth so far (and thatís from someone whoís relatively IT-illiterate!).
Would be useful if two things could happen (but not essential as the new board can grow over time):
1. Major seems to hint at it above (unless Iíve misunderstood), but could some of the newer posting be transferred across (e.g. the new signings thread)?
2. Like the idea of club info - can the likes of Angela and those that run the supporters groups, coaches, etc be persuaded across and could there be a section set up for specific club info (a Sam Diamond section, for example)? Appreciate this might be seen as duplication of whatís already on the club main website, but worth asking.

Posted by: M5 Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 08:23

I've just signed up too. Seems easy to use

Posted by: iBozz (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 09:47

Iíve signed up but am still waiting for the confirmation email - just be aware that when the sign up page says the email may take some time to arrive they sure ainít kidding!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Posted by: 23Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 09:48

Quote:
Major Bloodnok
23Shark: is there a facility over there for static pages, so that we can have information sheets like advice for visiting fans, the aforementioned player profiles, etc? Also (don't let on), I quite enjoy doing the match reports and it would be nice to continue but without the requirement to generate regularly, when the home season is anything but regular.

I've got the ability to do a website with it so each team could have a page with various hints, tips, links etc

For the match reviews we could have a prefix for these in the forum so they are easy to see?

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net