Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 22:55

Wayne Barnes

Linesmen: Chris Ridley & Peter Allan
TMO: Keith Lewis

Re: Sir v Gloucester
Posted by: Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 22:57

Ooh, interesting. I'd have thought someone like Sir Wayne would have been given one of the juicier games.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 02:18

Have I remembered correctly? Did I read that Wayne is retiring from reffing to concentrate on his lying, sorry Lawyering?

Could this be his last regular season Prem game? If he is packing in he will surely be given the final.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Posted by: Newcastle under Lyme RUFC Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 06:51

If memory serves me, he reffed the last game v Leicester last season. Obviously like Manchester in May !

Posted by: MikeGC (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 07:52

possibly the best referee available, great appointment

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 08:07

Lets hope he goes out in style. Erroneous penalty try in last minute for Sale!

Posted by: Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 20:34

A juicier game? Falcons already down, the top two aren’t playing each other, there’s something riding on this one so get a good ref in.

Posted by: Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 23:22

Bubber

Posted by: grunter (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2019 22:12

It's common knowledge that Wayne has always been a big fan of Gloucester, having grown up in Bream not many miles from Kingsholm. If he is to retire and if this is his final Premiership game, he may have been given this fixture as a fitting way to go out. I'm sure that he will be totally impartial, as ever. Top official.

Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 10:47

The Most highly respected referee in rugby union. Just ask Kilburn Cosmos or London French! (they participated in his favourite game ever - completely penalty-free!)

Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 13:11

I've said it a bunch of times before but for my money he's the best ref in the game.

Glad we're his last regular prem game

Posted by: emerging shark (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 19:33

He was brilliant today. Loved his comment during the game 'just another regular premiership match'!

Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 19:35

Great that he was willing to decide on most tries himself. Peerless.

Posted by: Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 19:51

Other comments today:

to AJ, after Faf had taken (and missed) a quick conversion for the second try before AJ could tee it up: "Faf took it quickly but, hey, at least you're still 100%"

To Denny, who was asking about a possible forward pass: "Oh, let it go, it's an entertaining game"

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Posted by: Crutch (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 20:53

And that in a nutshell is the entire problem.

Barnes wilfully ignores huge numbers of offences in the interests of making the game “entertaining”

I for one will not miss him one iota.

Posted by: Yorkiesale (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 21:27

As stated previously I will not miss Mr Barnes at all, he thinks he is more important than the game, he thinks he’s some sort of superstar ref. Never asks the touch judges for assistance or even listens to them, in fact I would get rid of them as they are a an expense which the game does not utilise or require with the TMO’s especially with all the cost cutting at twickenham HQ.

Posted by: BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 21:46

Quote:
Yorkiesale
As stated previously I will not miss Mr Barnes at all, he thinks he is more important than the game, he thinks he’s some sort of superstar ref. Never asks the touch judges for assistance or even listens to them, in fact I would get rid of them as they are a an expense which the game does not utilise or require with the TMO’s especially with all the cost cutting at twickenham HQ.

T’is the (off)season of goodwil, clearly!
I suspect there are a very considerable number of referee assessors who disagree with you august opinion, fortunately. That probably explains why he has referred so many internationals and leading club matches for well over a decade in preference to other highly qualified, experienced officials. Looking at it objectively, of course.

Posted by: Yorkiesale (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 22:02

I do hope he’s a better barrister than a ref,I really would not like my liberty being reliant on his total unbiased opinion.

Posted by: JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 22:23

I thought it was an absolute master class today. As also, though in a different vein, was his handling of the Ireland V New Zealand game in the Autumn Internationals. In fact he was consulting with his ARs and TMO throughout today. He had already checked with them whether there was a clear forward pass before Denny approached him.

I particularly liked his comment to his team after Denny's try: "I think that will make the cut for the season's highlights reel".

By some distance the best referee in the Northern hemisphere.

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 22:25

Quote:
Crutch
And that in a nutshell is the entire problem.
Barnes wilfully ignores huge numbers of offences in the interests of making the game “entertaining”

I for one will not miss him one iota.

He wouldn’t be given the top games if he deliberately ignored things. That simple can’t be the case.
I think he missed a couple of forward passes in the second half but all refs do. Other than that I don’t see what he did wrong.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net