Current Page: 1 of 3
When does this forum "go dark" for the last time ?
Posted by: Flumpty (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 16:30

Due to the outstanding efforts of a few individuals, a new Sale Sharks forum has been started on view from the 22.
As far as I can tell (from a posters perspective), it has all of the good things from this site, plus a lot more functionality and none of the bad things of this site.

In the past, the Major has repeatedly asked for regular contributions to keep the rugby network site alive, which sadly seems to fall upon deaf ears and from time to time the site goes "dormant".

Given that we are now out of season, would it be a fair suggestion to put this site to bed once and for all and when it goes dark, leave it dark.

The new site is very much an improvement over this Rugby Network site and with additional users/contributors/posts it will nicely chug along until the season resumes in the Autumn.

How about euthanising this site on 31st May and putting it out of (the admins !) misery ?

Re: When does this forum "go dark" for the last time ?
Posted by: Tigger (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 16:55

I have one article in the bank (thank you Yareet) which I will post next Monday/Tuesday. I will continue to do so as long as I get them...is posters don't want to continue with this forum I will stop and let it die.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 17:29

The two forums have been running side-side now for about a month (whilst the new forum was established at the end of last year, it is only recently been attracting regular posts).

I would suggest that Tigger posts the one article he has which will keep this forum going for a couple of weeks or so longer, but that any new threads are started on the new forum.

An occasional post in the meantime on the 'Sticky' thread on this forum regarding the new forum, explaining that the intention is to let this forum die a natural death, will ensure that irregular visitors see the red 'new' tag next to the thread and will therefore be encouraged to click on the thread. Otherwise, we run the risk of such people not knowing that the intention is to move across altogether. When this forum then disappears, they would have to actively search for a Sale forum.

Alternatively, there must be simple way of keeping this site alive, with minimal contributions, but re-directing casual visitors as both Quins and Glos manage it.

The worst of both worlds is the Wasps situation, where they are running two active forums, often making the same points, which is what, in effect, we have now. Hopefully temporarily.

Posted by: DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 18:38

The big downside to all these new forums is that they are standalones, in spite of 23's efforts to set up a site catering for all. Glos, I believe, are back-to-front in that Shedweb came before the Sportsnetwork forum. I, every-so-often, look at other Sportsnetwork sites (including those not in the premiership), but Shedweb and the new Quins site have had hardly a glance. I think Wasps also set up another site fairly recently, and, of course, we had the Mrs. T inspired 1810 Pizza Company which came into being at a time that Sportsnetwork was having significant problems.

The suggestions above are all very well but there should be a poll to see if that is what the majority actually want (which is likely to be the case).

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 18:42

Does the new forum allow you to publish articles?

Posted by: M5 Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 20:37

Regarding other clubs forums, we could always have a sticky which lists each club and their most upto date weblink to the "forum list" page

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 21:23

86 have signed up for the new forum so far.

Posted by: iBozz (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 22:08

On another thread I asked for articles to keep this Forum alive and posted an email address to which to send them.

I have had only one single solitary offer from someone to write an article, as yet unfulfilled, and then a thundering and deafening silence.

It seems that the majority are happy to use the forum just so long as someone else (usually The Major) does all the work.

It is, I fear, a symptom of the times. Many local charities these days are failing because no-one seems to want to volunteer to do things that they presumably thibk work by magic and thus take for granted.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Posted by: Flumpty (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 09:29

Quote:
iBozz

It seems that the majority are happy to use the forum just so long as someone else (usually The Major) does all the work.

It is, I fear, a symptom of the times. Many local charities these days are failing because no-one seems to want to volunteer to do things that they presumably thibk work by magic and thus take for granted.

Mini & Junior Rugby Fixtures work in a similar way - the Fixture Fairy waves his/her magic wand and magically the miracle of Mini & Junior rugby apperas on pitches around the country every Sunday.

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 15:34

Quote:
iBozz
On another thread I asked for articles to keep this Forum alive and posted an email address to which to send them.
I have had only one single solitary offer from someone to write an article, as yet unfulfilled, and then a thundering and deafening silence.

I fear that may have been me. In which case, Tigger has the article. Mea culpa

Posted by: iBozz (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 18:33

Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
iBozz

I fear that may have been me. In which case, Tigger has the article. Mea culpa

I name no names, but thanks for supplying an article no matter who received it.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 05:32

I guess that answers the question then. 2 weeks after that article is uploaded, this site goes dark.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Date: 31 May, 2019 11:49

Quote:
PoyntonShark
I guess that answers the question then. 2 weeks after that article is uploaded, this site goes dark.

Ooh do I get the honour of the last article? Kinda feels like it should be somebody higher up. My votes for the Major

Posted by: Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 13:56

Poynters: probably two weeks, maybe three, who knows?

Yareet: I may well put up a "so long and thanks for all the fish" post directing peeps to the new site.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Posted by: ageinghoody (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 14:19

I've signed on to the new forum.

My security software is certainly happier with it than it is with Rugby Network. Even now it is repeatedly flashing up recommendations to be cautious.

One observation, am I missing something or does VF22 not have an equivalent of the "new" indication?

While I'm at it I may as well mention one useful feature on the only other forum I frequent. It has the option within a thread to go to the first unread post which saves scrolling through all the posts previously read. Again, not indispensable, but useful especially when a thread runs to several pages

Date: 31 May, 2019 15:11

Quote:
ageinghoody

One observation, am I missing something or does VF22 not have an equivalent of the "new" indication?

While I'm at it I may as well mention one useful feature on the only other forum I frequent. It has the option within a thread to go to the first unread post which saves scrolling through all the posts previously read. Again, not indispensable, but useful especially when a thread runs to several pages

Quote:
23Shark
Quote:
Pappje Shark
Pretty certain on other forums powered by the same software that there’s a function whereby you click an icon next to the thread name and it takes you automatically to the first new message since your last visit. (And another one to go to the most recent comment).

Yeah that's what the star does

Answered on the other "Thank WiganSaler" thread

Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 23:35

Have the editors tried using my suggestion to keep the forum open?
It is after all the regular uploads of articles which are critical, a long dated publication date might just work???

Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 09:15

If the intention is to move to the other forum, we somehow need to keep the landing page for this forum alive so that irregular visitors can see a message to visit the new forum.

How can this be done? There must be a way as both the Quins and Glos forums manage this without them ever disappearing altogether as ours has on occasions

Posted by: DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 10:09

Harlequins do seem able to keep their board running without a recent update. The last headline article is dated 20th March.

Gloucester is updated regularly and frequently, it would seem, having had several over the last month or so. The Gloucester forum is different in that it has only ever seems to have had a handful of contributors, coming, as it did, after the original forum.

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 10:22

Quote:
Yareet
Ooh do I get the honour of the last article? Kinda feels like it should be somebody higher up. My votes for the Major

This is an egalitarian society you know. I think you are perfectly entitled to the 'honour' of last article. I suppose, given the awesome, unforgiving power that he wields, the Major may be more equal than others, but, as his being hacked off with the whole SN article business is what has finally jump started this move the view from, I think it would be somewhat ironic, perhaps even downright cruel, to push him into the final article.

I was going to add that the moderators may also be more equal than others but then remembered that Tigger is a moderator. I don't think that the two concepts, "moderators are more equal than others" and "Tigger is a moderator", could co-exist in the same universe.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net