Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: O/T Tour de France
Posted by: leemingtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2017 22:15

Would be interested to hear everyone's opinions on cycling's unwritten etiquette.

I think its pretty obvious that Aru saw Froomes arm go up and decided to attack. We're Porte and Co right to haul him back in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 22:15 by leemingtyke.

Posted by: Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2017 22:58

Obviously means something to the cyclists themselves as Aru was the only one who sought advantage before being "outvoted" by the rest of that relatively high profile bunch. Ithink it is good to see some kind of self policing which takes us away from the win at all costs mentality which prevails in too many instances in sport.

Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2017 21:58

I think that, in a competition that has three weeks of duress, some sort of tacit "rules" are inevitable. Anyone taking advantage one day can easily be run off the road on another occasion.
In the past there has been a "boss" of the peloton who has controlled absolutely everything: Bernard Hinault was the ultimate example of this.
Now things are less controlled but, as BL says, good to see that some sort of ethics are in place, especially when live TV is recording every detail.

Date: 18 July, 2017 21:20

Closest race for years, though with Froomie being the best time trialler then the others had better get in front of him by more than a few seconds in the mountains.

Now for the Alps.

I speak as someone who has ridden most of the Alpine passes including the Alpe d'Huez, Izoard and Gallibier.

Bring it on!

(Sm146)

Posted by: John R (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2017 13:30

When I have been up them on two wheels, mine had an engine!

Much more relaxed that way and an option to enjoy the view!

It's an interesting tour now with Froome knowing their are possible realistic challenges ahead. The last few days have been full of unusual options opening up to a top bunch of GC candidates.

Well done them!

Subject to no accidents and mechanicals, I still take Froome to win..........

Posted by: Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2017 20:59

Landa has helped massively in Thomas's absence, putting his own ambitions (mostly) on one side to support Froome. The design of this year's race, with no more than two successive high mountain stages at any point, means that the fatigue and wearing down, which in the past have seen Froome on his own for several kms at the end of the stage, haven't been as obvious. Rowe went very early again today but Kiryenka was a tank as always, and Kwiatkowski has been a real revelation in this race, not only for sticking to Froome like glue but for his long pull today.

Not too sorry to see Aru slip back today, good rider but don't like his attitude. Great to have some real competition though with Uran and Bardet close; another badly-timed mechanical or dodgy legs tomorrow could easily see Froome slip down the order, leaving the TT on Saturday even more enticing.

Shame for Kittel - he seems arrogant (though he has plenty to be arrogant about) but then Matthews isn't exactly a shrinking violet either. It would have been better if the green jersey had been decided on the road, especially if the intermediate sprints on the Champs Elysees had been significant.

Another great day's TV in prospect tomorrow, including the first bit of the womens' race. It will be a bit of a downer having to make do with the Tour of Wallonia next week.

Respect to Mr Almo - I wouldn't be that keen on driving up those alpine roads, never mind tackling them on a push iron!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Date: 20 July, 2017 18:28

Quote:
Albert Fishwick
I wouldn't be that keen on driving up those alpine roads, never mind tackling them on a push iron!

To be honest the last few climbs were on carbon fibre, very little ferous material involved!

Posted by: Tyko (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2017 19:29

Quote:
almostatyke
I speak as someone who has ridden most of the Alpine passes including the Alpe d'Huez, Izoard and Gallibier.(Sm146)

I'm impressed. I found the hills at Centre Parcs Longleat too much for me.

Posted by: Bobba (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2017 12:08

What Almo has failed to tell us is that, similar to Leeds RUFC, he was going downhill!(Sm151)

Date: 21 July, 2017 20:38

Back to the actual race.

They say that what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts, but a certain Eddy Boassan-hagen proved this theory wrong today.

Date: 22 July, 2017 21:54

Well done to Froomie - his calculated gamble in coming to the TdF slightly undercooked seems to have worked. Now he has a chance of success at the Vuelta d'Espania.
Still a lot of effort required to keep the good form going that long, perhaps as illustrated by the sad sight of Quintana, who has been but a shadow of himself in the TdF due to exhaustion on the Giro d'Italia.

Date: 23 July, 2017 09:24

Real shame for Landa. If he had been given his head on a couple of occasions he would have been on the podium. Will be challenging from another team next year by the sound of it.

Posted by: yeldor (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2017 13:31

Bleddy cyclists 🚴🏽.

sent off carried off never backed off

Date: 23 July, 2017 16:10

Quote:
yeldor
Bleddy cyclists 🚴🏽.

Hope it wasn't you who ran over Froomie's bike when he was training in the South of France?

(Sm100)

Date: 23 July, 2017 20:35

Congratulations to Chris Froome in winning his 4th Tour de France. Sure, he had the strongest team behind him, but that also means that any slip from the high standards expected then a similarly-talented lieutenant will take over your role.
This year it is fair to say that he has scraped the win, though winning without emptying the tank was his ambition. He has the further ambition to win the Tour of Spain. There is some history here, as he was destined to win this race a few years ago, but because Sky wanted Wiggins to win, even as Red (leader) jersey wearer he still had to work for Brad. This, unfortunately for Sky, meant they finished 2nd and 3rd.
ITV4, God bless their cotton socks for a second time, are showing daily highlights of the Vuelta (Tour of Spain) in August. Anyone who has watched previous live coverage of the Vuelta will appreciate that not only does the rain fall mainly on the plain, but boring cycling does also: highlights are the way to watch.

Date: 23 July, 2017 21:18

Nah, got to watch in real time, even if it does mean enduring the appalling Carlton Kirby. You can always multi-task with a spot of ironing.

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net