Autumn Internationals
Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 20:42

Strictly speaking England's game against SA was one week short of the international break, meaning the opposition was a player or two down as they were not released by their clubs (who pay their wages).
Great to see England back to winning ways, especially with so many injuries, but a 12 - 11 victory at home with no tries meant that the game was always in the balance of referee's decisions and goal kicking accuracy.
A win is a win but surprised that SA did not go for a drop goal at the end.

We need to take newly-gained confidence forward to the All Blacks game next weekend. Should be a cracker.

(Sm134)

I wasn't born in Yorkshire but I got here as soon as I could

Re: Autumn Internationals
Posted by: leemingtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 04:04

South Africa only have themselves to blame for that defeat.

They should've been home and dry long before that shocking refereeing decision.

Posted by: Farmertyke1 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 November, 2018 09:37

Agreed Leeming, I thought England were poor . Never looked like scoring a try but by the way they all celebrated at the end you would think they had won the World Cup.
I think a lot of refs would have given a penalty for Farrellís tackle.
Having watched the exciting league game on Sunday hitís like that were the norm. Is there a disparity growing between the codes as to what is acceptable.

Posted by: WPL (IP Logged)
Date: 05 November, 2018 11:20

I called the no arms bit in realtime so I was not surprised it was reviewed - I am surprised at the decision of no penalty, especially in the current climate! Would they have scored from it, who knows, good way out and close to the touchline.

I did feel I was watching us play at one point as SA missed their man on 3 lineouts on our 5m line - cannot afford to do that at international level.

Positives to me was that we ground out a win, it feels a while since we have done that. Yes SA were missing some of their players including de Klerk who might have made the difference.

Negatives...I wasn't that inspired by it all and thought SA lost rather than we won

Personally I think we will be lucky not to get hammered by the All Blacks, should beat Japan (hope I don't regret saying that) and then to me it all comes down to the Australia game to determine if it is a good AI international series or not for England

Date: 05 November, 2018 15:28

Having watched the Wales Scotland game on iplayer, I think both of them looked more comfortable with ball in hand than England, whose passing looked laboured at times.

Posted by: JDH (IP Logged)
Date: 05 November, 2018 21:47

It is a patched together eng team though.

I thought the Farrell tackle was ok. Very difficult to rap both arms if your heads on the wrong side. It was a big hit chest high.

In the eng v nz RL test there were multiple hits like that.

Date: 11 November, 2018 03:28

We took a marginal decision last week so we have to take a marginal decision this week. We could still have won it even then if we'd kept our heads.

Great England performance though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net