Current Page: 1 of 3
The Cunning Plan
Posted by: TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2019 17:40

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: The Cunning Plan
Posted by: oopnorth (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2019 18:26

Turnips have to feature somewhere obviously

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2019 18:27 by oopnorth.

Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2019 19:03

We need a plan so cunning you could nail a tail to it and it would be a fox.

Posted by: Billy ba (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2019 20:10

We've already lost one Fox

Posted by: leemingtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2019 21:01

A fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?

Posted by: WPL (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2019 11:28

I've not read it, but according to the Rugby Paper part of the cunning plan is to link up with Sale Sharks - if this is the case and we can get to some arrangement where the players don't get called back at last minute - this may actually work - their academy graduates are fairly impressive.

Posted by: Tyko (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2019 13:17

A Northern Powerhouse in the making??!!

Date: 01 July, 2019 19:39

Quote:
WPL
I've not read it, but according to the Rugby Paper part of the cunning plan is to link up with Sale Sharks - if this is the case and we can get to some arrangement where the players don't get called back at last minute - this may actually work - their academy graduates are fairly impressive.

Similar to Gloucester/Hartspury arrangement? That seems to work!

Posted by: leemingtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2019 21:37

Can't say Im keen on these 'partnerships' with Prem clubs as they seem to me to be totally one sided.

That's the situation we're in though and beggars can't be choosers. Whatever it takes to survive I suppose.

Posted by: Camquin (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2019 22:50

I feel I should point out you have your own academy that I thought received the same funding as the other 13.

Posted by: Wildwillie (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2019 07:41

Quote:
Camquin
I feel I should point out you have your own academy that I thought received the same funding as the other 13.

We know this but thank you for reminding us. (Sm134)

Date: 02 July, 2019 08:04

Quote:
Camquin

We cannot afford to run this academy so I believe that the rfu are going to run it directly.

If this works out then we will not get automatic first choice for the talent it produces, although (if we survive) of course we will still be the local club for the starlets.

Posted by: Tyko (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2019 11:15

Quote:
almostatyke
If this works out then we will not get automatic first choice for the talent it produces, although (if we survive) of course we will still be the local club for the starlets.

Almost all of our "starlets" move on anyway sooner or later. So nothing new there.

Date: 03 July, 2019 19:32

Just to explain a little more on why we cannot afford our academy. True the rfu gives grants for an officially-licensed Academy, but also true is that much of the money comes with strings attached. A lot of the investment has to be matched pound for pound, by the club. Normally this is a small price to pay as the talent produced gives the club guaranteed star players for the future.
We were in the unique position of having a rfu Academy but not able to offer academy stars the chance to play Premiership rugby. We spent much more of our income on our Academy than any of the other 13 clubs and got minimal benefit as the players were poached by Premiership clubs once they had a 10 or so Championship games under their belt.
Even our Academy managers were poached by Bath and Wasps.

I believe that Worcester were in a similar position a decade or so ago. They had to relinquish their rfu-licensed Academy due to financial difficulties.

Posted by: WPL (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2019 09:00

Did I see some pictures on Twitter yesterday about a small group training up at Ilkley?

Posted by: Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2019 10:08

Training in butchery techniques at Lishman's, from what I saw.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Posted by: Wharfedale1985 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2019 11:08

Yes at Lishmans, I hear Steve Boden has agreed to coach at Ilkley as well.

Posted by: Tower (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2019 11:50

Quote:
almostatyke
Just to explain a little more on why we cannot afford our academy. True the rfu gives grants for an officially-licensed Academy, but also true is that much of the money comes with strings attached. A lot of the investment has to be matched pound for pound, by the club. Normally this is a small price to pay as the talent produced gives the club guaranteed star players for the future.
We were in the unique position of having a rfu Academy but not able to offer academy stars the chance to play Premiership rugby. We spent much more of our income on our Academy than any of the other 13 clubs and got minimal benefit as the players were poached by Premiership clubs once they had a 10 or so Championship games under their belt.
Even our Academy managers were poached by Bath and Wasps.

I believe that Worcester were in a similar position a decade or so ago. They had to relinquish their rfu-licensed Academy due to financial difficulties.

Good information almostatyke the academy was just a nice to have and another tick for us to get us in the premiership. As you said we paid over and above for it and really did not benefit. Now look where we are? Hindsight is wonderful thing but we should not have paid so much into it and not have the benefit. Including pumping in more and more well over and above any other club.

Posted by: JDH1 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2019 19:38

I am expecting some coach and player news soon surely...

Posted by: Madtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2019 21:52

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net