Current Page: 1 of 3
What does Leicester Tigers stand for now ?
Posted by: Purebob (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 18:43

Musings...

Since I was a nipper Tigers always felt and played differently to most clubs, not always in a good way.

We were insular and nichey. Worked harder than all, fitter than all, harder than all. Always had a quiver of arrows with a few great backs, but we ALWAYS had one giant f-off arrow of the pack to fall back on.

We're a team who even recently gave Rob Hawkins a contract extension when he couldn't play because he was injured on duty even though we were going to let him go just before the injury. We allowed two full seasons of rehab to Benjamin before he retired.

Nobody liked us, but they FEARED us. We would club them to death and make hopeless their dreams of running backs and offloading in a welter of barely legal violence and skilful hostility. we grew our own , and we assimilated acquired players like the Borg.

Our coaches fettled that gameplan a bit as players came and went but overall it was successful, and built a desperately strong bond between players, and between the club, players and fans.

The last bastion of that approach was Cockers, and was sacrificed more than half a year ago. The avatar of "the new way",Mauge, was kicked out himself before the seasons end.

We let go some players who were very good, and replaced them in some cases with controversial choices. They have largely not been successful last season. Too soon to know this season but it doesn't look great.

I watched the Saints game on Premiership Rugby this morning as I sit in Panama city waiting for Hurricane Irma and I cannot see what we were trying to do, neither on the pitch nor off it.

We used to accuse Toulon of being an assemblage of expensive spare parts; mercenaries and laughed when pre-Wilkinson they did not gel.

Do we just need a "monsieur Jonny" to gel the components into a new successful thing or have we just lost all clue ?

Any thoughts ? What are we trying to be now we are no longer "Tigers".

Donate now to Cancer research

Re: What does Leicester Tigers stand for now ?
Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 19:01

Unfortunately I suspect we are finally becoming a commercial brand rather than a rugby club

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 19:05

From the outside it looks like your trying to evolve. Top 4 each year is a good achievement but i suspect the age of the big beefy bludgeons is over (for now). To win things you need a little more creativity.

Prepare for downs before ups. It might not be the tigers way. It might not be the right way but its what your coaches seem to want.

Posted by: Dreadnought (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 19:32

#Tigersfamily best sums it up for me. Our great club has turned to Twitter to maximise it's marketing presence with great aplomb. With our performances in recent years on the decline, it is vital to obviate this fact so supporters are being fed a potent cocktail of Tigers family in consort with history and nastalgia associated with our glorious past. It's a very successfull ploy as it is keeping the money coming in during these fallow, save LV cup, years. Cash will always be king and we have to accept that is all down to this and as long as supporters keep spending their cash our rugby performance will always remain secondary.

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 20:38

We need a Tiger at the helm, Matt can stay, but we need a motivator who has worn the shirt, we have a forest of suitable candidates to pick from.

Posted by: daktari (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 20:57

Quote:
Stopsy
Unfortunately I suspect we are finally becoming a commercial brand rather than a rugby club
This! all day and night, This!

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 21:04

Quote:
daktari
Quote:
Stopsy
This! all day and night, This!

You have a point.

Which is more than Warriors fans can claim at the moment.

..............I'll get my coat

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dOg4Ljp3kh8/Sf89bRrqecI/AAAAAAAAAJY/eJCF1kt4b0E/s200/DON%27T-SHOOT-THE-MESSENGER1.jpg

Date: 10 September, 2017 21:10

Quote:
tigerburnie
We need a Tiger at the helm, Matt can stay, but we need a motivator who has worn the shirt, we have a forest of suitable candidates to pick from.

No thanks ! If Murphy, Blaze, Allen, Deacon and Stankovitch cannot motivate our squad then just how many more ex Tigers do we need to employ?

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 21:12

For guidance as to where we are/will be in the future, I suggest we look at where Liverpool FC are in the wendyball Prem nowadays compared with their glory days when they had a team of top stars who worked hard for each other and a succession of successful managers/coaches who served a long apprenticeship within. Now they are there or there about without really being a top team who will actually win something but there loyal support remains propped by by past successes.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Date: 10 September, 2017 21:21

We are rapidly becoming at best a top six club, we were thumped by Saints, FFS. Ccompare and contrast there upcoming results against genuine top four clubs , Sarries,Wasps ,Bath, Exeter and our results we will not beat any of them home or away this season.

Date: 10 September, 2017 21:24

I was thinking more "what is our ethos?" than " do we have a winning ethos".

I'm not sure we stand for anything other than a set of resources being leveraged in hope.

Date: 10 September, 2017 21:34

We are a brand , as they say in the corporate world, "we have a great brand image" , we have a great business model, perfect for corporateopolis. It`s just a shame we are a @#$%& at winning anything meaningful (with due respect to the Anglo Welsh) it wont be long before we will be rejoicing in the European Challenge Cup competition, and believe me,the corporate world will drop us as quick as a stale prawn sandwich and flat Prossecco if we are not competing and winning at the highest level. Brand is fickle and momentary if it is not built on the solid foundation of , effort , commitment , desire , passion and application.

Posted by: Ratae4eva (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 22:04

Norarlot unfortunately, I'm too embarrassed to ask for a refund for my season ticket!

Posted by: jojo (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 23:07

I am going to wait until after the second round of two games in the Europeans.

If we play as badly as we did last year I will consider cancelling my standing order for my season ticket.

It's the only thing the board understand.

Date: 11 September, 2017 00:08

I personally don't think the club has planned what we should represent. staps have been "forced hand knee jerk actions.

"How can we generate more money? Winning stuff isn't enough"
"How about more thrilling gameplay ?"
"Ok we'll give it a shot, hire some b-list running rugby stars and get Mauge in"
"Bvgger, we're rubbish and have lost some of our traditional strengths"
"OK we're tired of cockers presence reminding us of winning stuff in the old days, lets bin him and see how it goes"

etc etc

We need to decide what we want to represent before we can win jacques merde IMO.
I am so sad for what my club is becoming. Tigersfamily my bottom.

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 10:06

From a distance my view is likely to different, but it is obvious that the dog is not in the forwards this season yet. Will it arrive in time to do us any good and feed my optimism? I'll have to wait and see, but becoming a sacking club will not do us any favours.

Date: 11 September, 2017 10:13

Quote:
tigerburnie
From a distance my view is likely to different, but it is obvious that the dog is not in the forwards this season yet. Will it arrive in time to do us any good and feed my optimism? I'll have to wait and see, but becoming a sacking club will not do us any favours.

Tigers is a sacking club we sacked Mauger, Cocker and Hanson last season.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 11:30

We've always been a sacking club. Dwyer, Deano, Loffreda all got sacked as well. Whether that's good or bad it isn't new.

Cockers didn't recruit well for a number of years, as can be seen by our slide down the table and lack of options now. We don't appear to have fixed that this summer but please let's drop the bull @#$%& about Cockers being oh so wonderful and perfect. He is very good at coming in and kicking @#$%& into gear. He was not good at re-building a squad.

The question marks remain around Ged Glynn and his role. We are not finding many hidden gems anymore nor recruiting players with the right raw materials into the academy. When was the last academy player who was a physical freak like Croft, Manu or Genge? Leicestershire's not massive so I accept that the local well will run dry occasionally but isn't that the whole point of a scouting system to go and find these rough diamonds and polish them up?

Posted by: Johns (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 11:57

I watched the Worcester v Wasps game yesterday, now they never looked like winning the game they did keep Wasps at bay for periods and were prepared to defend for their lives.

Three minutes before time they had a bonus pint, that is way better than us last Saturday.

Gary Gold set up Bath and the was moved on, he also worked at Falcons.

Is he the sort of Guy who can set up a structure for the future as Dwyer did for us? Are we looking for instant success without putting in the hard graft?

Have we got the right people in the right places (that includes Board Members)? If this is the case and I suspect it is the board need to get their thinking caps on.

What is their strategic plan for the next five years?

Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 13:33

A very good post, Bob. We are actually in a worse position now than we were at this time last season and will remain so for, at least 4 games. If we don't win the next 3 games plus, at least one t.b. that will extend to 5 games. The significance of that is, that it was after 5 games last season that panic started to set in. The Defence coach was sacked, players were saying they were confused, senior players were being consulted and it was all Cockers fault. The latter has now been proved to be the nonsense it always was, blown out of the water.
It is alright you whining, I hear some of you say, but what are you going to do about it. Well I wouldn't have sacked Cockers in the first place but that chapter is now closed. We need to get the season moving, in the light of which at today's team meeting, the only message should be, we must win on Sat. and any player not buying into this can leave the room and we will bring in the Academy players. I don't care how you win, just win.In our situation it is the only thing that counts. The other thing would look at would be the nonsense of senior and junior dressing rooms at Oadby. It might provide a funny story for the media but I, for one, am not laughing and it doesn't seem to be doing much, if anything, for team spirit.
Rant over now let us all get behind the team on Sat. and drive them over the line.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net