Just two more games in Reading?
Posted by: melton tiger (IP Logged)
Date: 02 October, 2017 23:15

Hopefully just this season and next and then...

London just not Irish

Funny thing is though - I could have sworn that Insect fans said the new Brentford stadium hadn't got consent for rugby and so the now defunct London Wasps couldn't move there.

Good for London to have another club and looks like it's going to put the Allianz and even the Stoop to shame...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 23:16 by melton tiger.

Re: Just two more games in Reading?
Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 09:40

Are we seeing a bit of a move towards the French model of [partly] municipally owned stadia?

Isn't the Allianz Park partly owned by Barnet Council - the same with the AJ Bell? And then there's S4C on which I understand they should break ground in the spring as well as, in another sport, Leigh Sports Village.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 10:16

Last time I looked into it, Irish still hadn't signed an agreement to play at Brentford. Lots of discussion around simplifying the stadium, reducing capacity and so making its build quicker, cheaper and more cost certain so Brentford would be more sustainable for years to come. Lots of (unreasonable?) Brentford fans saying not preparing to be a Prem side by having a Prem ground and capacity was showing a lack of ambition whilst owner saying, in the real world, Brentford would never be a Prem club. Also, all the corporate entertainment and nonmatchday cash generating stuff taken out of the build as expensive and decision made not to compete in what, local to them, is a very crowded market in which they are not experts. As I read it, Irish joining them would be great but not certain and they would still only be tenants/renters, not owners.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Date: 03 October, 2017 10:18

And yes. Alliance local authority owned. Sarries have a lease which includes community use of their pitch and making the track available out of season.

Date: 03 October, 2017 10:44

Certainly approved planning includes an application by LI to play Rugby in the Stadium.

Date: 03 October, 2017 10:52

Quote:
Rich W
Certainly approved planning includes an application by LI to play Rugby in the Stadium.

Yep but then things changed I believe? Including the stadium design.

There was a thread on here a while back with some interesting links which were the source of my memory above.

Hope Irish do move to Brentford as I believe the size of ground will suit them and atmosphere creation far better than Reading.

Date: 03 October, 2017 11:21

Agreed - can't really see a downside for LI.

Posted by: daktari (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 11:33

Will the Not Nots do a Sarries and Pests and include planning consent prohibiting Friday/Sunday games ensuring the burden falls on the usual suspects.

Posted by: melton tiger (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 12:55

Quote:
daktari
Will the Not Nots do a Sarries and Pests and include planning consent prohibiting Friday/Sunday games ensuring the burden falls on the usual suspects.

If not all slots for TV are provided then that should mean a lower payment for those clubs - what chance of that being imposed by the Usual Suspects...?

I can't see Brentford FC not having Friday night available for televised games so Irish shouldn't either.

I doubt the Ricoh consent excludes Friday night. I'd heard, second hand, a Simon Cohen quote that BT didn't want to televise a game in a virtually empty Ricoh so they don't put ever put the Franchise in a Friday night slot. Doesn't seem to worry them with Sale though.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 13:20

I've read similar things to Yorkie. There are no longer any conferencing facilities only normal match day boxes and the Brentofrd owner has no desire to go into the events market as he sees the risk that a loss making events side pulling the club down as greater than the possibility of a profitable events company subsidising the football club. Originally Irish were going to be 50/50 in that events business so now will just be renters, do they want that still? Probably buts its not as good a deal as it was.

A 17k capacity is probably better for them than the original proposed higher one. Could very realistically achieve 2/3 sell outs a year at that rate and that's sure to help season ticket sales compared to the current situation.

There is no restriction on the Ricoh I don't think, just not chosen yet. I'm fairly sure Cov have had Friday night games there in the past.

Posted by: Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 13:46

Irish fan in peace.

Despite the alterations with regards to conferencing/hotel etc, I will be amazed if we don't end up there. The deal we have at Reading is poor and the club is unsustainable there. Crowds have declined and we make virtually nothing from home games.

My understanding is that whilst technically we would still be tenants at Brentford the terms of the contract would be vastly improved. The club is also keen to try to tap into both the Irish and general exiled diaspora in the London area.

Date: 03 October, 2017 15:25

Posted by: Chris Egerton (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 15:26

Quote:
Ozzy3213
Irish fan in peace.
Despite the alterations with regards to conferencing/hotel etc, I will be amazed if we don't end up there. The deal we have at Reading is poor and the club is unsustainable there. Crowds have declined and we make virtually nothing from home games.

My understanding is that whilst technically we would still be tenants at Brentford the terms of the contract would be vastly improved. The club is also keen to try to tap into both the Irish and general exiled diaspora in the London area.

That was my understanding too. Reading exploited Irish for all they were worth..

Irish definitely with planning permission to play rugby there.

Seems more likely three more visits at this stage...but you never know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net