Another ex of this parish II
Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 09:07

[www.bbc.co.uk]
But would we want either if them back is the first question? did they go on to do better things because they left?
I'd take Deano back in a heartbeat, but maybe Niki is just having an Indian Summer. Problem is that unless the board is replaced en masse, Deano wouldn't come back, but I have a sneaking feeling he has some unfinished business here and could have been the answer to our loss of "dog" in recent years.

Re: Another ex of this parish II
Posted by: JK (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 10:51

I think after four titles and two European Cups, Deano hasn't got much left to prove. Probably best to keep on staying away as there is only really one way it can go. I expect he took enormous satisfaction from Falcons' recent win at Welford Road. He hinted as much in his post-match interview but I would have done more than hint if I'd been him!

And I agree about Niki's Indian summer.

Posted by: Jon T (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 11:26

We should have never released Niki a massive mistake, Apart from the fact he wouldn't be available next year, I think he will start to decline now, but he should've been offered a 2 or 3 year deal before his release.

Deano could get us back where we want to be but he'd never be given the time to do it. Board and supporters want instant results and unrealistic performances, a coach needs 2-3years to get us playing his system and his own players playing it. The last 3 years have proved that neither supporters or board are gonna allow that bedding in time.

As Tigerburnie has says it'll never happen with the current board (Deano)

Posted by: johnthegrif (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 12:39

The Board we have now is vastly different to the board when Deano left although Peter Tom is still in the chair. The previous D.O.R was given time and was in my opinion mistakenly sacked. M.O.C is currently being given time by the board although not by some supporters who wanted him out after the first two matches of last season. I agree a coach needs 2 or 3 years but in that time we should not go backwards, I do not believe we have done so under the present regime and look for a big step forward next season.
I don't dismiss the idea of Deano returning, I don't believe Newcastle are a big enough club for him to realise his ambitions and I think he will do very well to improve on Falcons performance this season with many of his players already in the veteran stage.

Posted by: trummy200 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 13:40

The Falcons appear to be a rugbyjavascript:editor_tools_handle_email() club as a rugby club should be - a community within itself. What other club officals regularly contributes to Rugbynetwork.net? Answer, not one.
As regards to Newcastle not being big enough for Deano - he has just signed a three year contract and has stated he loves life in the North East! I would suggest a contented man - especially after the recent visit to Welford Rd!!
As for Niki, I would like someone explain why Tigers declined to offer him a new contract - bizarre to say the least! He obviously is approaching the end of his top line rugby career- but what a talent.
Maybe Falcons next season may not be as successful as this - but they will all give it their all- and that's what its all about!

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 14:18

On NIki it was simply a judgement call - cost versus an estimate of longevity/effectiveness against the relative cost of a replacement. In hindsight it was an error but it's not possible to get them right all the time.

I doubt Dean would ever come back - it's been too long - but the only basis on which he might is that Leicester was his first love. Unless we get a new Chairman it won't happen anyway - but if we did he'd be an interesting choice as CEO imo. At least as well qualified and a better frontman than the incumbent.

Posted by: Jon T (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 15:25

Re Deano and CEO, CEO is a role for a businessman, unfortunately I can't really see he has any real experience in running a large (ish) business, his forte is very much Rugby related specifically in managing players and coaches. Obviously Niki was a judgment call, just the wrong one and thats probably another present from Mauger.

Quote:
johnthegrif
The Board we have now is vastly different to the board when Deano left although Peter Tom is still in the chair. The previous D.O.R was given time and was in my opinion mistakenly sacked. M.O.C is currently being given time by the board although not by some supporters who wanted him out after the first two matches of last season. I agree a coach needs 2 or 3 years but in that time we should not go backwards, I do not believe we have done so under the present regime and look for a big step forward next season.
I don't dismiss the idea of Deano returning, I don't believe Newcastle are a big enough club for him to realise his ambitions and I think he will do very well to improve on Falcons performance this season with many of his players already in the veteran stage.

When you say the previous DOR, do you mean Cockers or Mauger? Cockers clearly had time, and was also sacked incorrectly, the board imho should have let Mauge go and allowed Cockers to bring in someone who shared his philosophy and vision.

If you mean Mauger, who was the previous DOR to MOC then clearly he was treated pretty shabbily too, given no time whatsoever to completely stamp his sole vision on the team, though some might say it was karma for his role in Cockers departure. you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

I'll be honest I'm not a fan of MOC as head honcho, I find him arrogant and a little shifty, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in how long it took to bring in a quality Forwards coach (if he wanted Bakewell all along and he was in contract and we had to wait , then so be it). That said I think he should be given at least the full season.

This season, must show signs of improvement, in both consistency and gameplan. I don't believe we will ever be as dominant as we once were, but I want to leave a game at least believing we gave our all, even in defeat, and thats not something we've been able to say for a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 15:27 by Jon T.

Posted by: Johns (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 07:45

Quote:
Jon T
This season, must show signs of improvement, in both consistency and gameplan. I don't believe we will ever be as dominant as we once were, but I want to leave a game at least believing we gave our all, even in defeat, and thats not something we've been able to say for a long time.

Agree Jon with most much of your post, however I want to see us challenging for the highest honors in the Premiership and Europe.

Sarries and Exeter have moved ahead of us without a response from the club. many have pointed out correctly that Saracens have a far more effective coaching set up than we have. In some ways they have replicated what we were doing and improved why we stood still or even decline.

Exeter in a way followed Tigers in their recruitment by finding young talent that others had missed plus again tigerish in the development of their academy.

In our pomp we have outstanding recruitment in finding and developing players like Parling as an example. Was letting Dusty leave a big mistake?

Our recruitment has failed to find those rough diamonds we would polish and develop, The Baron, backy, Austin's just pass us by.

The academy has been disappointing, gone are the days when the youngsters held the fort while our stars were playing international rugby, the target for any individual.

We may not reach the heights of the Johnno era but it should be our ambition to be the best in every department be it player recruitment, coaching, vision and management of the club.

We have fallen short in so many ways we need better leadership from the board.
For goodness sake stop looking at our past, look forward with quality plans and a great leader in the driving seat, if we fail we will continue in our present as mid table team and that is |NOT good enough for me.

Date: 18 May, 2018 08:52

Quote:
Jon T
Re Deano and CEO, CEO is a role for a businessman, unfortunately I can't really see he has any real experience in running a large (ish) business, his forte is very much Rugby related specifically in managing players and coaches. Obviously Niki was a judgment call, just the wrong one and thats probably another present from Mauger.

As I said - he's just as qualified as the current incumbent. And to be honest I think the business side is hugely overstated. A competent board with enough business people on it should be able to cover that side of affairs but the business of a rugby club is Rugby and Dean knows more about Rugby than pretty much anyone. He's professional, disciplined and he knows how to set standards and how to lead. All qualities much more important to a Rugby CEO than business experience. Add to that - he's a recognisable rugby figure that the rest of the world would see at the head of the organisation, which is quite as important.

Not going to happen though so not worth worrying on.

Date: 18 May, 2018 09:08

I don't think we 'let Dusty go' John - he took his ball away in a fit of pique.

As for rough diamonds - I'm not sure Bateman, Genge maybe, Telusa? But there is no doubt that we have failed to really develop from the academy - though it is equally arguable that the academy has failed to significant levels of talent over the last 6/7 years. Maybe - we hope - that is changing.

But you rightly point at the board as the root of these problems. It is from there that the lack of leadership and the chaos devolves. We need a new Chairman - younger and more frequently present and willing to invest; and we need a new CEO - a leader and a rugby man (or woman).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net