Current Page: 1 of 3
Toomua gone after this season
Posted by: Seal (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2018 11:34

Re: Toomua gone after this season
Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2018 11:47

Fair play to him, he mostly moved here to support his wife's career and has quickly become part of the furniture. Given he has a year left on his contract though (at the time of the move), I wonder what the score is regarding release clauses and/or a transfer fee? Whilst there is a year to source his replacement, a fee would certainly help if the decision is that Hardwick isn't ready to step up.

Posted by: Dreadnought (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2018 12:42

Thats a real shame, perhaps our only world class player leaving us after agreeing to extend his stay. Hope we actually do replace him with another world class centre and not fritter the money elsewhere.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2018 12:44

This rumour has been floating for a while - it seems pretty likely.

Is he contracted past this year? If so we will be expecting compensation I hope.

If so we have a year of him - good - and a year to identify and secure a replacement (Eastmond is not a replacement) who will be available post Japan. We also have the option to use him to help develop Hardwick and Thacker et al.

And - there is no reason to think that he won't be looking to come back this way in 2021.

I'm entirely sanguine about this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 12:45 by Rich W.

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2018 13:48

Hopefully we won't need him come 2021.

Date: 12 July, 2018 14:05

Well yes...but...

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2018 15:10

As long as he gives his best this coming season for us, no problem if he wants to play in a WC for his country.

Date: 12 July, 2018 15:13

Quite - if he wins us a pot he'll go a hero!

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2018 15:39

We'll see. The initial rumour was going in summer 2020 (2 more years) when his contract was up but signing well before that to fudge the Aussie selection rules.

I just hope we engage our brains and give Hardwick a go in a few games with Ford (3 or 4 would do it) just to see how they go and whether it is worth persevering with. If that looks good we can be much more relaxed about the whole thing and looking for a replacement etc.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2018 18:27

Didn't Toomua sign a 3 year deal when he arrived? Or was it only 2 years?

He signed a 2 year extension to first contract.

So, first season was 2016/17 during which he played 1 or 2 games. Last season, 2017/18, was his 2nd season. So this coming season, 2018/2019, is his 3rd season and 2019/20 is his 4th and when he is contracted until if his first contract was for only 2 years. Otherwise his 5th season would be 2020/21. Either way, we hold a piece of paper saying that he is playing for the club until after the 2019 RWC. Unfortunately, if Oz choose to select him then we can't refuse to release him.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Date: 12 July, 2018 18:36

Posted by: Jon T (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2018 19:54

Can't deny I'm very disapointed by this news, but I also can't say I'm surprised.

Can only ask that he stays fit and committed, but I do worry that this sets back the team development.

Date: 12 July, 2018 20:22

If Oz select him we can't keep him but we can enforce his contract and require compensation from the ARFU.

Posted by: GreenandGold22 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2018 20:59

The article does say he's going at the back end of the 2019 season so that might mean 1.75 more seasons?

Still not great but the lure of the World Cup cant be easy to ignore

Date: 12 July, 2018 23:20

I read it as he will leave Tigers at the end of this season (summer 2019) to join up with Oz for the RWC (Sept/Oct 2019) before joining the Rebels thereafter?

If that's how it'll go then just 1 more season at Tigers.

Posted by: Johns (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2018 06:59

It seems that Cohen/Ged/MOC have signed an ex Wasps player to replace Toomua very forward thinking. (Sm161)

Posted by: GreenandGold22 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2018 07:22

Ah yes the latter part of the 2019 season but they're referring to their season and not ours (how dare an Australian site do that!?).

One more season it is. Strange for him to sign an extension just last year and then do a complete 180.

I hear there's more potential bad news from Auatralia on the horizon. They want to pick TPN for the Rugby Championship. Its okay though, weve still got Thacker and McGuigan as back up to Youngs!!

Date: 13 July, 2018 10:54

Wonder if TPN will "retire" from Internationals after the way that the ARFU handled the break up of Western Force? But probably not before the RWC?

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2018 18:05

Given this was the paper that reported he had signed for Wasps total accuracy might not be a strong point.

Posted by: Purebob (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2018 18:56

I understand from a good source that Cheika put both lads under intense pressure.

Donate now to Cancer research

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net