Please God no!
Posted by: scottietiger (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:03

The Offy claiming Mike Ford is imminent!

Re: Please God no!
Posted by: Fat Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:13

Why not? From what I've seen he has a very good track record as a defence coach - and we badly need support in that capacity. Yes there would be concerns about being even-handed/favouritism with George and Joe in the squad, but it's up to the head coach to manage that. If he's in at a good rate because he's happy to be at the club with his lads and helping to contribute to their success (as well as that of the wider squad), so much the better.

If it's DoR I'm happy to see him given a chance, and would hope he'd muck in with the defence anyway.

Posted by: Dreadnought (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:18

Well well well who would ever have thought that this even had the remotest possibility that this would ever happen?

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:19

He must be banned from wearing those beige trousers if he does come though!

Thought MF was under contract as Head Guy with German national team?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: Johns (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:21

Leicester Tigers set to appoint Geordan Murphy as permanent head coach despite run of SIX straight defeats as interim boss

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:33

Quote:
Yorkie
He must be banned from wearing those beige trousers if he does come though!
Thought MF was under contract as Head Guy with German national team?

Think that was only for the RWC run.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:43

Was only ever with Germany for November.

He was with Dallas Griffins in USA but they never ended up going professional so I guess he is free.

Wouldn't be my ideal choice but he is a proven defence coach and available. The main downside is his history of working his way up to be in charge of almost every club he's been at.

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:48

If everyone at the cub is in favour, esp. GM then that is their choice, and only time will tell if its right or wrong. No point pre-judging. Though is the rumour only that due to him being there to watch his son play?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/tighthead.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephen.bath1/Bath/Photos/TigersFire2.gif

Posted by: L.F (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 15:59

Sounds like a very bad appointment to me. Will Hardwick ever get a look in?

Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 18:02

Did any one listen t0 his interview on 5live before the W.C. round robin thingy?. Not keen on the bloke myself but it was a very good interv. Said several interesting things, including, he never played rugby union, which even during the 'schism' most R.L. players had, at some stage played 'Union'.

Posted by: Fat Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 09:29

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rumours are based around the fact he has been along to games to support George/Joe.

However, as per my first post - in Ford we have someone with a good track record in an area we need support. To the best of my knowledge both Jonno and Cockerill were happy to work with him, so presumably he isn't a million miles away from a traditional Tigers culture/attitude.

I totally understand reservations around the Burgess appointment and the fallout from that at Bath, but would imagine he's felt the pain there more than most and is less likely to make the same mistake than the next person. So yep, would need to see how it goes - as is always the case - but if announced he was coming in I wouldn't be disappointed.

Posted by: GM (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 12:24

Mike Ford should not be defined by his time at Bath (apart from delivering their most successful campaign since going professional). He is just one of a long list of top coaches to have a go there (Gold, Geech etc).

Along with Andy Farrell and Shaun Edwards he is one of the best defence coaches to cross codes.

The key unknown is how he would interact as Dad/son - when at Bath GF was fighting to break into the England squad - he is now 50 caps into his England career so maybe a different (less risky dynamic?).

MJ was the very definition of why not to hang out a young coach without experience - MF may not be the the perfect fit but if the Board are asking the right question then he should make the short-list.

Posted by: Dreadnought (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 17:11

Neil Fissler has tweeted

Hearing from multiple sources that Leicester Tigers are speaking to Mike Ford about joining their coaching team. Canít say if itís true or not. Working on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net