Current Page: 1 of 3
Simon Cohen
Posted by: iang1963 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 08:23

Article in TRP, most of it you all know about, but worth a read.
He’s not going anywhere and believes he has the support of the board.
3 years before you see GM team due to contract cycles.
Addressing the imbalance between backs/ forwards and those away on international duty.
Thinks talk of wholesale change and talk of replacing the board is not helpful.
Taking Pat Howard’s thoughts on board.
Still supports relegation and promotion.
Article finishes repeating some horrible social media abuse to him and a player which is being investigated by the police.

Re: Simon Cohen
Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 11:12

3 years now.

What kind of CEO allows one man to spend so badly that affects the rest of the organisation for THREE YEARS? In the programme before the Exeter game he said he thought we had one of the best squads in the league, what happened to that?

He's a charlatan.

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 12:58

Whilst it is horrible and should rightly be punished I am starting to get annoyed at it being repeated in every bit of press he does now.

Posted by: Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 13:06

Agree AW, the abuse was appalling but it starts to feel as though he actually means the fair criticism he gets as well as the abuse.

Date: 12 May, 2019 13:20

The CEO of a company constantly critcising his own customers is an interesting approach. Who was that jeweler that did that? Something Ratner?

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 17:21

What a berk.

Posted by: GreenandGold22 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 17:52

Which player got abused? I've not seen it reported

Posted by: Purebob (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 18:38

Matt toomua. His family was wished cancer deaths by brave anonymous "fans".

Donate now to Cancer research

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 21:08

Which does rather put a different complexion on his decision to leave before the end of the season.

Posted by: Lionator (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 23:12

'3 years before we'll see GM's team' aka getting next season's excuses in early.

A man who is truly appalling at his job and who is now regularly creating an us (board) vs them (supporters) narrative. Please leave my club and let somebody take the CEO role who will unite us as a club from the board down to the players and down to the fans, the one's who have made this great club what it is, because right now we're so incredibly fragmented.

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 08:26

That suggestion that you take three years before you see GM's team is crazy, for two reasons.

One and most important, is that attitudes of coasting senior professionals, and that includes almost every one at Tigers except George Ford, are complacent and unprofessional. New players coming in pick up on the culture and change their own behaviours to fit the prevailing one. As a result, the rot continues and great signings become expensive failures.

Two is that great players sign for clubs where they can see the possibility of development that can benefit their own careers and win things as well. If they don't see change from the club that wants them, they won't want it.

As a Sarries supporter, one of the many who felt the same, I was upset when Brendan Venter arrived and swept out fifteen of the squad, including many crowd favourites, in a single day. All were given the opportunity to look for new clubs, their contracts were paid up in full if they could not. Then, having got rid of the infected timber, Venter set about re-building, signing players and staff whose values fitted the style and ethic that Venter represented. Well within three years- the GM transition time - Sarries had become the serious outfit that now expects to win a major trophy every year. Result is that players like Daly say that they were offered more to go to other clubs but sign for Sarries to win trophies and develop their own playing abilities by playing with the best against the best.

However, all that took an owner and CEO who passionately wanted that outcome, who brought in the right man to implement it and then supported his vision and methods to the hilt. Do you see that happening at Welford Road?

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Date: 13 May, 2019 08:34

Agree with all that, but please do not overlook the many millions it took to effect that change at sarries. Few can afford that.

Date: 13 May, 2019 08:42

Exactly Innings, Saracens went from very similar to what we are now to Premiership finalists in one season.

Let's just think what the players are hearing when Cohen says it takes 3 years to get a GM team. It says "you are so poor not only can I not expect any results from a head coach with you here but you are also so poor I cannot even find a club to take you". Motivational stuff indeed from head honcho.

We don't need better players. We need to make our players better.

Posted by: blueamada (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 09:25

Saracens and Exeter apart , together with a (perhaps) resurgent Gloucester there is very little separating the rest of the Premiership clubs.This is where coaching ,attitude and hard nosed professionalism should come to the fore and play their part.It may take three years to see Geordan Murphy's team but lets not kid ourselves - Murphy wont be given three years should we continue to perform how we have done this season ; and rightly so.
More importantly however it does not take three years to create and play to a game plan, organize a lineout,a maul and teach professional players how to tackle (could add more here , but ah well.).The squad we have now , irrespective of the new additions, are better than they have shown.The right coaching structure and coaches would see us at least competitive.
An additional scenario.Much has been made of Pat Howard's appearance and his ability to tell it like it is to anyone.Our BoD are supposed to be more than willing to listen to him, fine .What happens should he say that our present set of coaches couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag ? Where is this new 'stability' now ?.Not for a moment do I believe his thoughts will ever be made public , but for someone , somewhere this wont end well.
Names I'd throw into the ring for my own new structure (personal opinion only);
Cotter, Rowntree and Haig. Would not object to any.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2019 09:56 by blueamada.

Posted by: Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 11:03

Quote:
Purebob
Agree with all that, but please do not overlook the many millions it took to effect that change at sarries. Few can afford that.

Bath and Bristol have owners richer than the sarries owner and Bath have pumped millions of pounds into their team with no result.

I know everyone looks at the sarries team at the moment and looks at this player or that player, but the most important person at that club by far is Mark McCall.

We would not have won any of the trophies we have won without McCall and Brendan Venter, they set up the right structure and culture at the club and one that encourages players to get better and develops players.

Two cases in point. Richard Barrington came from Jersey in the championship and he has developed massively under the coaches at sarries to a player now who played against the best TH in the world in Furlong and matched him. Take Duncan Taylor also, he was brought in from Bedford and has developed into a player who can miss the whole season and still make the Scotland world cup squad. Look at the work they've done with Skelton for example in the last couple of seasons.

The question for Leicester is this, who was the last championship player you developed into an international and can you see Murphy or any of the coaches you have now developing players into internationals. I personally can't see it.

I have seen Mcall do it, I have seen Baxter do it, I have seen Ackerman do it, I have seen Chris Boyd do it in super rugby and in the premiership with players like Hutchinson. Murphy is not even close to those men as coaches and that is the key difference and why Leicester are very far away from winning anything in England, let alone Europe.

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 11:06

The most important person at Sarries is Wray

Date: 13 May, 2019 11:12

Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
The most important person at Sarries is Wray

He is not. Wray was there for many years when we were not even close to winning anything, buying galatico after galatico. You can make an argument that the most important person at any company is the person who owns the company, but outside of that, it is the coach.

I can only give a view from the outside and I don't think Murphy is going to take this team anywhere. You have a massive coaching deficit and he has had a whole season and anyone who thinks he is suddenly going to make this team a title challenger is deceiving themselves. You have done the same thing united have done in football, given a job to someone who is not qualified because they played at the club.

This same Tigers team came 5th in the league last year, it is mostly the same players and he literally became coach from the second game of the season. I have not seen any strategic thing he has added to the team. You can see what Boyd has done at Northampton, you could clearly see immediately the effect Ackerman had on Gloucester, you could see the effect Gustard had on Quins, who went from the worst defence last year to one of the best this year. Murphy is not in that class and until Tigers get rid of the weird nostalgia you have for the guy, you will continue to be around the same place for the next 3 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2019 11:16 by Barnetsarrie12.

Date: 13 May, 2019 11:27

Quote:
Barnet Sarrie
The question for Leicester is this, who was the last championship player you developed into an international and can you see Murphy or any of the coaches you have now developing players into internationals. I personally can't see it.

Jonah Holmes this season.

Also Jake Kerr, came from National League 1, this season an international.

Date: 13 May, 2019 11:31

Quote:
SK 88
Quote:
Barnet Sarrie

Jonah Holmes this season.

Also Jake Kerr, came from National League 1, this season an international.

Did Murphy develop Holmes though?? He scored 10 tries last year and was called up to the welsh teams in October last year. I doubt I can chalk that up to Murphy.

As for Kerr, that is a wait and see, he only got a chance at international level because of many injuries and the same Murphy consistently does not play him when Taf and Youngs are available

Date: 13 May, 2019 11:56

Johann Rupert set them up for success. This cannot be denied.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net