Current Page: 1 of 2
Joe Thomas to Tigers?
Posted by: Willbur (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 14:19

From Ospreys via NZ....

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

RWC cover I guess.

The Tigers are understood to have offered him a one-year deal and the 23-year-old is intent on accepting it.

He will fill the gap in midfield at Welford Road left by another Welshman, former Ospreys and Scarlets man Gareth Owen, who has joined Newcastle Falcons.

It will be a chance for Thomas to revive his professional career.

Not sure I like the sound of the last bit..... but let's see how it goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 14:21 by Willbur.

Re: Joe Thomas to Tigers?
Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 14:37

5 tries in 18 for the Ospreys is a better return than most our our backs. We are light on backs in general, though more wing cover really, so it doesn't surprise me we are looking for more players.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2019 19:51

My reaction was "Who?"!!

Another middle of the scale journeyman?

Once upon a time, we might have taken a bloke like this and improved him. Nowadays .......

At the moment, I'm more interested in what fine tuning is happening to the coaching team/a DOR appointment than the playing squad tbh.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: Murphyjames (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2019 16:22

Sounds a typical cheap Tigers signing.

Squad churn.

A departure after one year - waiting for it to happen.

Have to say our recruitment to date for next season looks pretty average at best.

That's why my ST will not be taken up this time.

Posted by: IanC (IP Logged)
Date: 21 June, 2019 10:57

Now confirmed. [www.leicestertigers.com]

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 21 June, 2019 11:33

Let's see how he does

Posted by: mentallymadmax (IP Logged)
Date: 21 June, 2019 12:05

Only 23. Played for Wales U20. Only a 1 year deal. Worth a crack.

Posted by: tigersimon (IP Logged)
Date: 21 June, 2019 13:22

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Young enough to develop and his short time in NZ will have exposed him to a different environment.

Like Yorkie says all depends on what Management/Coaching team we have in place for next season.

Posted by: higgy365 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 June, 2019 16:04

Thought he was great in The Inbetweeners.

Posted by: Barney_Gumble (IP Logged)
Date: 21 June, 2019 17:12

Also signed Jonny McPhillips according to the BBC Article. 22 year old Newcastle born Ulster Fly-half.

Similar age and experience profile to Thomas, and a similar punt I'd say.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 June, 2019 17:30

We needed another fly half, would have probably preferred a more experienced "safe pair of hands" given the games Ford will miss and having Hardwick as a bit of an up and comer but he's good age to push on and make an impact.

Posted by: L.F (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2019 08:26

Two extremely underwhelming signings.

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2019 14:55

Some people will never be happy.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2019 16:44

Bateman and Holmes were underwhelming too I seem to recollect, plus Ed “who?” Slater. Give them a chance.

Posted by: mentallymadmax (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2019 19:30

Squidge Rugby (big fan of his youtube channel) commented on reddit that he rates Thomas quite highly, and reckons we've got a bargain.

Opinions from the Ulster fans seem to be that McPhillips is a handy player with plenty of promise.

In terms of squad padding, I think we've probably done a lot worse in recent years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/06/2019 19:30 by mentallymadmax.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2019 20:22

Quote:
Stopsy
Bateman and Holmes were underwhelming too I seem to recollect, plus Ed “who?” Slater. Give them a chance.

Agreed. But those guys arrived at the club in very different times. When we had the whereforall to polish a diamond or even what appeared to be a turd when it arrived!

But, as you say, let's give 'em a chance. Just hope that we do get to see the best of them.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2019 00:03

Holmes arrived here 2 seasons ago not 10 years ago.....

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2019 14:43

Bateman hasn't been here much longer than that, either.

Posted by: Captain Darling (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2019 00:32

Genge arrived to little fanfare as well. As did Veainu when he signed soon after going to the RWC thinking his Pro career might be fading away.

Jake Kerr had slipped through the Scottish academy set-up, now he's an international. Facundo Gigena has emerged as a very good Prem loosehead.

Tigers have done many many things wrong in recent years to have played the abject rugby of last season. Those mistakes don't mean that absolutely nothing positive has happened.

The academy is functioning very well once again and has won back-to-back U18 titles. Heyes, Kerr, Lewis, Reffell, White, Simmons, Hardwick and Olowofela are coming through from the development squad to play important squad roles. Martin, Jordan, Eveleigh, Costelow, Browning and Steward are big talents coming into the development squad. Go further still down the age grades and you find James Whitcombe, Rob Hardwick, Archie Vanes Emeka Ilione and Lynx Noumey.

The first XV last season was abysmal in both performance and results given the expectations at Tigers. It doesn't mean everything throughout the whole club is negative though.

Posted by: Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
Date: 24 June, 2019 07:34

Very true.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net