Current Page: 1 of 2
Chant/song for Saracens supporters to sing
Posted by: Teacher-peter (retired) (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2011 14:11

How about we sing the first part of the Tiki Tiki Tonga song that the guys do after a match?

We did a bit at Franklin's Gardens (when we stuffed them) and if more folks could sing it I think it would work.

Who knows the words?

Re: Chant/song for Saracens supporters to sing
Posted by: Fozz1e (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2011 14:57

Maybe EG could get the guy that Toulon use at the begining of their matches
">Pilou pilou

">Or maybe the Munster version
(Sm100)

Posted by: BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2011 23:32

A Tikki Tikki Tonga (a Tikki Tikki Tonga!)
A Masa Masa Wiya (a Masa Masa Wiya!)
Lay oh lay oh la-ay oh (Lay - oh Lay oh La-ay oh!)

Ask Tom Ryder - he invented it!

Good idea - you could get one person to shout the first - and then everyone else echo - a bit like pesties do with oggy oggy oggy.... but better!

Posted by: AP (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 09:39

I guess Tom was taught it in New Zealand - there are various clips on U-Tube.

Posted by: Neville (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 10:13

The best clip is of our Moses leading it last year

Fearsome.

" You men on the 'Ospital roof, fice the fron'"

Date: 14 February, 2011 10:28

AP - I think Tom actually made it up - I dont think it actually means anything at all!!!!!
.....Tikki Tikki Tonga????

We could always invent a meaning though!!!

Posted by: AP (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 11:04

From The Independent last May:

Saracens' celebratory sing-song after they win a match is dividing opinions. The Northampton coach Jim Mallinder said "our players are certainly hurting from hearing Saracens celebrate as if they've won the league" after a league meeting last month, but the Sarries legend Richard Hill shrugged it off, telling Ruck and Maul: "You didn't hear us whining when Wasps used to sing 'If you want to go to heaven when you die' in the dressing room after games." The source of the fuss is a repetitive nonsense song for kids, from New Zealand, which builds in sound and intensity to the accompaniment of waving hands and arms. It is sung by Newcastle Falcons too, having been introduced by Jimmy Gopperth, although the Taranaki-raised fly-half told Ruck and Maul he picked it up from the Leicester flanker Ben Herring when they played for Wellington. "We haven't had as many chances as Saracens to sing it this season," chuckled Gopperth. "It's not great to hear it when you come off the field and you're feeling really down but to me it just makes you determined not to feel that way again. It's not designed to make the other team feel bad." And the words? Saracens flanker Andy Saull relates it as something like "Tiki tiki Tonga/Massa massa way-a/Lay-o, Lay-o, Lay-o"; the Gopperth/Falcons variation is "Tiki tiki Tumba/Massa massa massa/Oompah oompah oompah lay-la". Gopperth added: "Tiki is a Maori word but I've no idea what the rest means. It goes from quiet to screaming your lungs out. I've gone on sometimes until I've lost my voice."

It looks like we are all correct - it doesn't mean anything, Tom Ryder learnt it in New Zealand.

Posted by: Neville (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 11:31

It means weve won.

And some people dont like that(Sm103)

Date: 14 February, 2011 11:50

'Tiki' refers to large wood and stone carvings of humanoid forms in Central Eastern Polynesian cultures of the Pacific Ocean. The term is also used in Māori mythology where Tiki is the first man, created by either Tūmatauenga or Tāne. He found the first woman, Marikoriko, in a pond. She seduced him and he became the father of Hine-kau-ataata. In the Māori language, the word 'tiki' was the name given to large wooden carvings in roughly human shape, although this is a somewhat archaic usage. The carvings often serve to mark the boundaries of sacred or significant sites.

So now we know!

Date: 14 February, 2011 11:53

Lets try that again - obviously the website doesnt much like Wikipedia!
Quote:
BarnetSarrie
'Tiki' refers to large wood and stone carvings of humanoid forms in Central Eastern Polynesian cultures of the Pacific Ocean. The term is also used in Maori mythology where Tiki is the first man, created by either Tumatauenga or Tane. He found the first woman, Marikoriko, in a pond. She seduced him and he became the father of Hine-kau-ataata. In the Maori language, the word 'tiki' was the name given to large wooden carvings in roughly human shape, although this is a somewhat archaic usage. The carvings often serve to mark the boundaries of sacred or significant sites.
So now we know!

Posted by: Graeme D (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 12:55

My favourite part of last years video was when the camera goes on Glen and he says "let's sing the song"

Still raises a smile to my face when I watch it.

Graeme

Posted by: 1876-Fez (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 13:12

Righ..I'm up for it and will have a go at it in the South Stand......

You other South stand dwellers better help me out!!

PS Especially Southstandman and Oxonsarrie!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2011 13:13 by 1876-Fez.

Posted by: PotNoodleHorn (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 13:20

Quote:
BarnetSarrie
AP - I think Tom actually made it up - I dont think it actually means anything at all!!!!!
.....Tikki Tikki Tonga????

We could always invent a meaning though!!!

OMG,

I don't think our Tom made it up... clock this lot !!

video: [url]

[/video]

or this lot of pi$$ed up U16's on a rugga bendor

[video]

[/video]

or...

this lot, saved the best till last

[video]

[/url]

It's gonna catch on....

EG, can you ask them if you can shout it as well?

PNH

I am a Saracen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2011 13:21 by PotNoodleHorn.

Posted by: hertsman (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 13:31

Definitely get the Toulon style going at VR. Isn't Mosese still around - give him the mike before the game and get the crowd going. Actually, he may not need the mike. Lots of crowd noise, involvement, support for the team....

Posted by: saracen1971 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 13:40

Love it !

would be great to get the crowd going

Something we can share on and off the pitch with the team

let it build as the team surge on !

all together now ............................

Posted by: saracens4life (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 13:42

It's not the sort of thing they do at proper rugby clubs though...(Sm151)

Posted by: Gryff (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 14:06

Don t think we should use it as it's the team song for when they win and win only so shouldn't be used during a match or steal the teams bonding function which is paying dividends.

Maybe find a different version for the stands !

Date: 14 February, 2011 15:36

Obviously ours is BASED on those above - but it isnt the same - and of course, its BETTER! (Sm100)(Sm14)

Posted by: hemelsarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 16:41

Agree with Gryff. We need to find our own song...

Posted by: Delynagh (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2011 17:47

Just make sure it's not the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room. (Anyone who's been to Disneyland will have heard this.)

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net