A League
Posted by: Sara'sman (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2016 14:03

A couple of thoughts/questions.

Storm start this season's campaign away to Gloucester next Monday with their first home game at AP the following Sunday against the Braves. Any thoughts as to the change of day and whether or not it will be well received/result in increased attendance? Their only other home fixture is currently scheduled for Monday April 10.

I also noticed that Irish no longer have a team competing. For the past few years there have been at least 13 sides with both Wuss and Bristol entering when in the Championship. Of the 14 academies Leeds/Yorkshire have been the only club not competing in recent years, with Welsh making the numbers up to 14 when in the Premiership. Would it be beneficial for the non-Premiership clubs with academies to receive some assistance (financial?) to enable them to enter? It would give more games and mean every team would have 3 fixtures both at home and away.

Re: A League
Date: 05 September, 2016 14:43

I presumed the Exeter game was moved to make it possible for their players to make it up and back inside a day, rather than for a permanent move? All other games are on a Monday.

I struggle to see much point in a competition where we play our only two home games six months apart! There are 6 days between the first two games and then 105 days between the last two...

I'd prefer a full national league if there are only 13 teams, moving games to Sunday if needed to help with travel times. But different teams take the A league at different levels of seriousness and I don't know how much the club actually value it.

Posted by: Red Rooster (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2016 18:28

The change of day to Sunday is down to the fact that prior to the fixtures coming out International American Football (Great Britain v Russia etc) was down to be played on 16th and 18th September at Allianz Park so they have filled a gap on what would have been finals day.

For those of us who travel from afar, it is a welcome opportunity to actually get to a Storm game. A question for those who have seen the storm in action last year - Is a team sheet produced or is there nothing at all like the pre-season friendlies last season and this.

Posted by: Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2016 19:14

Well if Welsh fold maybe our a league team can compete at championship level (Sm100)

Posted by: Eric Browett (IP Logged)
Date: 06 September, 2016 07:17

No team sheet issued when I've gone along.

Posted by: Jumbo Clark (IP Logged)
Date: 06 September, 2016 08:57

The team is usually posted on the website on the day of the game.

Posted by: TonyTaff (IP Logged)
Date: 06 September, 2016 18:41

Again, this is another issue where the Ah-Eff-You needs to get involved.

Just like support for academies, there needs to be support for the A-league. Funding conditional upon fulfilling fixtures, and only English-Qualified Ringers allowed when struggling to field a team.

The gin-soaked blazers won't grasp the nettle; the Cobber needs to demand change, while his star is in the ascendant!

676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Posted by: Sara'sman (IP Logged)
Date: 07 September, 2016 15:59

The logistics of A League fixtures can not be easy. Alongside the Anglo Welsh they are designed to give fringe/Academy players competitive game time, but as they take place just after a first team game a couple of injuries can cause serious problems. If one hooker is injured for example and another picks up a serious knock on Saturday, would a side want to risk their 3rd or even 4th choice? Raiding junior clubs can have a knock on effect down the leagues.

Funding must also be an issue for many clubs: with free/cheap admission and no sponsorship most games will be loss making so it is understandable perhaps that some clubs will not want many games - just sufficient to keep players fit and motivated.

I see that Bath have again called off their fixture against the Braves due to injuries. Whilst disappointing this could happen to any team, especially those with smaller squads.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net