Current Page: 1 of 2
Maro
Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 22:04

Being reported another club has offered him £850,000 a season and when his contract is up for renewal we might need to offer him £1m.

Blimey.

Do a whip around? I'll chip in a tenner.

Re: Maro
Posted by: derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 22:23

wow - I am sure he deserves serious money; but sounds pretty bad if someone is tapping him up while there is still two years left on his contract

Posted by: Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 06:39

This is crazy.... Fair play to the lad but I don't like the sound of being used by the same group as Gareth Bale... I hope Maro stays true to his own and sees a long career with Saracens... In my opinion if he goes to France (which hopefully he won't)then his international career should be over all this nonsense on special circumstances rules for overseas players will unfortunately bring us I to football style and will ultimately effect our national team... We as a Rugby community must not allow that to happen...

Posted by: Huxley (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 08:28

Where is this info coming from?

Having talked to Maro a couple of times, I don't see money as his main motivation, he is a highly competitive guy, and while he obviously deserves to get as much money as he can, I think winning things and being the best are his main drivers. Other clubs would be mad not to try and sign him, but he could only talk to overseas clubs at the moment, and I just don't see that happening at this stage in his international career. I think his contract may get renewed sooner than needed to keep him on a good financial level, but I can't see him doing too badly at the moment. He must be on a good wage at Sarries, probably earns at least £100k from England, I'm not sure what the lions paid players, but if you include the money he is getting from advertising, I wouldn't be surprised if he is earning near a million a season already. Having worked in marketing he is an advertisers dream, and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the highest paid player in rugby at some point.

Posted by: To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 08:43

Quote:
#wolfpack
Being reported another club has offered him £850,000 a season and when his contract is up for renewal we might need to offer him £1m.
Blimey.

Do a whip around? I'll chip in a tenner.

Source?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

Posted by: Dolph42 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 08:50

Huxley - absolutely he is extremely marketable (Maximuscle and Adidas at present IIRC) and he deserves to earn as much money as he can in what can be a short career.

He earned £75k from the Lions and England pays £22k per match so OTE approx. £250k if he plays all the matches.

Saracens aren't exactly cheap as our detractors like to remind us so I don't foresee him receiving an offer significantly higher from another AP club, so while I'm sure the club are already thinking of when and how much to extend him by as supporters it's not something to worry about.

Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 09:14

Posted by: Gryff (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 09:16

The original source was a Fissler piece in The Rugby Paperthe only real facts being that he was signed until 2019 and that a prem Club had offered £850K before his last renewal.

Posted by: To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 09:19

So neither source very credible, then.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

Date: 17 July, 2017 09:41

Dolph- completely agree. I'm all for players earning as much as they can. They talk about Lomu being the first global rugby player brand, and I don't see any reason that that Maro can't be. I already know non-rugby fans (not friends of course, I wouldn't hang out with such types) who love him!

Personally think we'll be seeing him in the sarries colours for a long time.

Posted by: Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2017 08:47

I honestly would not worry too much about this rumor tbh, I have spoken to the lad several times and he completely loves sarries and loves living in London, he has been here since he was 14 and he is not going anywhere. His family is here, all his friends are here and i can't see him moving anytime soon. Money does not appear to motivate him at all and i know he wants to play for a long time with England, sarries and the lions and ever since he has been part of the senior team, he has won a trophy with sarries, he is not going anywhere. As for the rumour of making £1m a year, that is totally valid but all of the money will not come from us, we will probably offer him a new deal that will make him the highest paid forward in rugby next year, he earns about £250k from England and that number will go up soon with the players starting negotiations with the RFU over match fees and his endorsement portfolio continues to rise with Maximuscle, Adidas, Vitality, Ricoh etc

Posted by: Coughie (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2017 10:06

He will always remain a man of the people in the finest SOAS tradition.

Islington beckons but don't travel here in an Uber vehicle....

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Date: 19 July, 2017 11:01

Posted by: Coughie (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2017 11:15

Fake news?

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Posted by: Stumpy7780 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2017 11:27

The last line “The RFU would then have a dilemma and could have to evoke their exceptional circumstances rule on players playing abroad.” is such rubbish. The whole point of the rule is to stop people going abroad so if they played the "exceptional circumstances" card then there would be no point in the rule as money is not a exceptional circumstance. Especially as they have never done that before.

Date: 19 July, 2017 12:05

He is not going anywhere and certainly not to France, the RFU is not invoking the clause, this is just a rumor that's going round since there are no games yet and we need something to fill the time before the season starts. I am not worried about this story at all

Posted by: tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2017 12:07

Doesn't 'exceptional circumstances' apply to the player being 'exceptional' and therefore a necessary part of the team? Surely not the circumstances under which the player moved abroad.(Sm26)

Posted by: Dolph42 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2017 12:09

Fissler has a good track record on these types of stories so it's highly likely that the numbers quoted are 'accurate' in the sense that he's been provided them by someone in the agency business, though they lack detail i.e. RFU and sponsor income.

However, the 'insider' will have his or her own motivation for getting the story published and embellishing their numbers. Agents and players will be delighted to see these numbers as it will mean the top players will all be asking for more money, clubs can refuse but there will always be the risk that a club is willing to pay over the odds for top talent.

Also the notion that Maro is not motivated by money is incorrect, it might not be his primary or even secondary motivator but he's not going to play for free either. He'll want a fair market rate once his other motivators have been satisfied.

Date: 19 July, 2017 13:19

Of course he will want a fair market rate and sarries is not exactly known for short changing people, his next contract like i said earlier will most likely make him the highest paid forward in rugby, it just won't be £1m

Posted by: SaintED (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2017 13:45

Stellar management stirring the pot would be my guess. If ever a home grown player looks likely to command that sort of cash you'd suggest if was Itoje.I hope he stays in the Premiership and if he's made captain who knows he might even be a "lifer" at Sarries smiling smiley

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net