Our wingers
Posted by: kakshaks (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 23:24

Thought Wyles was pretty quiet (and slow) yesterday and for me, although injury interrupted, neither Liam or Sean have set the world alight yet this season. Earle has by far been, in my opinion, the most threatening yet he remains as a bench player. Any thoughts?

Re: Our wingers
Posted by: JO'G (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 06:25

I was thinking how well Williams was on the kick chase yesterday retrieving almost all of the attempts he had that for me given our game plan seems a more important skill

I thought takes was excellent in driving back the fielder of the kick wasn't it takes who was up on the ball quickly to hack through for malins try

Speed isn't everything guile works well too

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 07:29

I think our wingers see barely any ball is a part of the issue and the kicking game we played with Ash, Wyles, Strettle etc little chips in behind from Wiggle, Goode etc seem to be increasingly rare. For how expensive and talented Williams is we need to make a point of getting him involved in the game.

Posted by: VR1997 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 08:13

I think we should be taking into account the conditions we have been playing generally in for the last month or so - horrendous. Anyone there on Saturday should have been impressed with the performance with extreme wind/rain.

Unfortunately Television doesn't show the true weather conditions picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 10:08 by VR1997.

Posted by: Eric Browett (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 08:19

Weather was truly awful. Wingers are almost redundant on a day like that , apart from kick/chase.

Although I didn't want Earle to leave he has chosen to do so. We now use him as we see fit, and on a day like Saturday Wyles and Williams was the sensible choice.

Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 09:15

In fairness to Liam, he has played about 6 games for us so far and has been class in some of those (Northampton away in particular, Ospreys at home in another).

Saturday was not a day for the wingers at all.

Posted by: GazzaFez (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 10:02

According to MMc Liam has played "two games in the last three months".

Not sure if he meant for us or in total. Either way that's not a great return. Agree it wasn't a day for wingers on Saturday. Don't think Liam in particular received a pass all afternoon for example.

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 12:57

Liam Williams is one of the best back three players in world rugby. MMc knew the package, which is a supremely talented player with a history of injury and always going to be on the Wales scene. I think his comments after today's match were actually praising Liam, not criticising,

Nobody who was at AZp on Saturday can have expected even three tries, let alone a fourth: conditions were dreadful. A four pointer with further widening of our points difference was as good result as could be expected, even without factoring in the ten missing players.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 14:49

Quote:
Innings
Nobody who was at AZp on Saturday can have expected even three tries, let alone a fourth: conditions were dreadful. A four pointer with further widening of our points difference was as good result as could be expected, even without factoring in the ten missing players.

Completely agree. I thought we played well. Despite the hideous conditions our ball retention was very impressive.

Posted by: AP (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 20:07

Though when we were camped on their try line for the last few minutes, it was a shame we didn't get the fourth!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net