Lyon match
Posted by: GazzaFez (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2018 18:43

Well thank God for Alex Lewington! All that territory and all that possession came to nowt for the vast majority of the second half which was as scrappy a half hour of rugby as you could wish to see.....all forgiven after a few seconds of pure gas from Alex. In truth we should have had the TBP put away before half time but as is often the case the errors just started to creep in. I doubt Lyon will be troubling the latter stages of the competition after what was on show today and could well lose all their pool matches.

We can all breathe a sigh of relief as we take a break for the PRC for the next few weeks. Onwards and upwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/10/2018 18:51 by GazzaFez.

Re: Lyon match
Date: 20 October, 2018 18:53

Oh, by the way apparently we 'crushed' Lyon according to the Beeb! I really don't think so!

<< Saracens crush Lyon >>

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2018 19:38

Good win though

Posted by: The Bard (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2018 20:21

We really made a 5 course banquet out of a round of sandwiches. Got very careless again and tried for glory too often without doing the hard work first. Bearing in mind the good fortune we had in the game with bounces etc. we could have struggled to even get the win.
But special mention to Sanjay for some exceptional high-ball work and Maro for extraordinary breaks.

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2018 20:43

Or alternatively, made a round of sandwiches out of the ingredients for a five course banquet.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2018 07:28

What has happened to our driving maul?!

Also- we really are struggling to get over the gain line at the moment.

At least our defence is excellent. Bizzare weve comfortably won every game this season, and Im not sure anyone really thinks weve played very well at all!

Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2018 07:42

Just the result the team needed. As others have said a mixed game but still on the whole encouraging. Any team would miss Mako and Billy but I thought both Barrington and Wray stepped up well and as Farrell said it's not about who is missing.

Sarries kicking game and Williams seem a match made in heaven. He, Barritt, Maro and George all had very strong games. Signs again of greater attacking intent although some players, Farrell in particular need to reign it in. Too many loose passes from him today as last week and whilst his kicking game and much of his passing game was brilliant he can't afford to just chuck the ball away hoping someone is there.

Having struggled with the breakdown in the first twenty the team then either adapted or Lyon ran out of puff because beyond then Sarries looked comfortable. Kicking from hand was outstanding really World Class with perhaps one exception. Although a number of tries were left out there that never felt anything other than a win coming. Lineout and Kruis both going very well. Maitland had a good game. I thought Tolofua was very unlucky not to be rewarded with a turnover on Sarries line in the Lyon move that resulted in their try.

Work-ons. As mentioned above our mauling game struggled. Probably two or three tries left out there? Sarries kciking is generally excellent and we saw a great one from Maitland early on, in two of the opportunities missed a chip ahead by Lewington or Farrell is an almost certain try due to more attackers than defenders and positioning. Not sure if it was the awareness or just not thinking of it but maybe something to look at especially as we have quick wings? Loose passes. That's a real problem. I think it comes with Sarries trying to play a quicker game especially on turn-over but players still need to think and not just chuck the ball out the back hoping someones there.

Overall though very well done team.

Date: 22 October, 2018 09:56

Got round to watching the match recording last night. Really just confirmed all the comments above. First 45 minutes were good(ish), next 30 were pretty poor really rounded off by 5 minutes of happiness. Watching it on TV really highlighted to me just how many loose passes there were. At least 3 from Faz plus Goodey's pass into touch. Good news of course is that's an easy thing to fix, although it's been creeping in a lot in recent weeks, particularly in Glasgow.

However, Maro's rip and run try was a thing of rare beauty. Watched that one several times over!

I picked up on the commentary that Nick Isiekwe would be out for at least a couple of months! That's the first time I'd heard s time put on it. That's a real blow for all concerned.

Posted by: beshocked (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2018 10:37

Alex Goode does it again - giving Sarries much needed impetus when they needed it.

It's why having him as a second playmaker in the backline is vital. He's also been very reliable. Frequently it's his creative spark which manages to unlock the opposition.

Not being picked for England again is Saracens' gain.

Posted by: Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 10:04

Not sure if everyone travelling to Lyon by train is aware,but the fares are now available online (tgv & sncf) for that weekend....but onward from Paris still needs to be booked separately
You can go on tgv site & pick up some good deals on Paris-Lyon return
Total price was 110 changing stations in Paris and on return leg changing trains at Lille
I have no doubt buying through eurostar when full journey becomes available will be more expensive and worth remembering there are no direct eurostar trains to Lyon in january

European champions 2016 & 2017

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 11:21 by Highbury Saracen.

Date: 07 November, 2018 11:33

UPDATE!
if you use eurostar app you can now book journey right way to Lyon!

Posted by: Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 16:57

We managed to get Lyon via Lille which is even better!

Date: 07 November, 2018 18:23

Yes weve got that on way back!

Posted by: Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 08:11

When we won the European cup in Lyon my daughter travelled down via Eurostar direct to Lyon. We picked her up around lunchtime and went straight to the game.

It worked really well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net