Penalty, yes, no?

Perfect tackle, arms wrapped - ish
Ref's a homer and bottled it
The citing official will have something to say
Does not matter the MiB for England were EPIC

You must be logged in to vote.

110 Votes

Show results

My heart was in my throat or pants if I'm honest. So, was that the right decision impartial ones?

Re: Poll: That tackle by Faz
Posted by: The Bard (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 19:23

Any other minute of the game, or in South Africa then I suspect it’s a penalty

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 20:52

The problem is that that in one game it is nothing, the other is red...??

Posted by: PhillFez (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 21:03

The choice should be valid tackle not perfect but it was certainly legal.

Posted by: sarricen (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 21:05

I know facts and the actual law aren’t normally popular in these sort of things but:

Law 10.4 (g) Dangerous charging.
A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without trying to grasp that player.
Sanction: Penalty kick

It’s also law 9 - 16

Key word is ‘trying’. It is only a shoulder charge if there is no attempt to grasp it’s a penalty. It’s blatantly obvious Farrell attempts to wrap his arms (unlike say SBW’s red card) and so it is perfectly legal given it was not a high tackle.

All a lot of fuss over nothing. It’d be useful if people know their laws

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 21:14 by sarricen.

Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 22:49

To me absolutely the right call but equally I am sure there are referees that would have given it. My confidence that he won't be cited in the next 24 hours however is not high given the recent Lozo fiasco.

Posted by: Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 23:01

So what exactly is the law on citing when the ref and TMO have had a look at it ?

Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2018 23:04

Citing commish can still independently decide its a citable offence in the next 24 hours I believe DG.

Posted by: SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 05:54

Citing officers can only report things that are deemed to be ‘red-card offences’ though can’t they ?

No way in the world was that worthy of a red-card ! Point of impact was chest/shoulder, no contact with Esterhuizen’s head...!

IMO it’s a lot of fuss over nothing ! The angle of the players, the speed of Esterhuizen’s run & the force of Farrell’s tackle all made them bounce off each other almost immediately on impact giving Farrell no opportunity to complete the full wrap of the arms ! His left arm was most definitely attempting to come around !

Different officials may have seen it as a penalty but if they are going to start dishing out cards/suspensions for tackles like that, then the term ‘the game is going soft’ will start to become more & more appropriate !

Date: 04 November, 2018 07:19

Quote:
SarrieGirl
Citing officers can only report things that are deemed to be ‘red-card offences’ though can’t they ?
No way in the world was that worthy of a red-card ! Point of impact was chest/shoulder, no contact with Esterhuizen’s head...!

IMO it’s a lot of fuss over nothing ! The angle of the players, the speed of Esterhuizen’s run & the force of Farrell’s tackle all made them bounce off each other almost immediately on impact giving Farrell no opportunity to complete the full wrap of the arms ! His left arm was most definitely attempting to come around !

Different officials may have seen it as a penalty but if they are going to start dishing out cards/suspensions for tackles like that, then the term ‘the game is going soft’ will start to become more & more appropriate !

But that is exactly what they are doing. You don't have to look far in the Pl to see that.

Looking around the boards I'd say a small majority see that as lucky there was no sanction..against Saracen's fans who thought it was fine.

I thought it was lucky the ref didn't give a pen.

But, still a get out of jail result.

Posted by: TonyTaff (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 12:33

If he'd done that at Eden Park, he would have been hung drawn and quartered!

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Posted by: Rupes (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 12:59

Matt Dawson summed it up well on 5Live - anywhere but Twickenham, that's a penalty all day long. I suspect if Dylan Hartley had done that in a Premiership game on Faz at Franklin's Gardens, there would have been people here calling for him to be run over in the car park by way of pennance...

Posted by: TonyTaff (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 13:17

I was watching in a noisy pub, but I thought that, when the TMO put the video on the screen, Gardner told him what he thought and the TMO agreed.

Which is the way it should be. Sole arbiter...

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Posted by: Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 14:50

Should of been a penalty. Feel sorry for SA as this cost them the game.

Posted by: Roger G (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 14:54

Quote:
Chief Fire Water
Should of been a penalty. Feel sorry for SA as this cost them the game.

Why to both statements? Ref seemed to explain why it wasn't a penalty, and even if it had been it wasn't a nailed on score - possible, even probable, but not nailed on considering the outcome of earlier shots at goal and line outs.

Date: 04 November, 2018 15:57

That was the game there and then and Boks can feel aggrieved. I would be.
The risk was pen or worse, it worked out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 16:01 by John Tee.

Posted by: Dave Berko (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 16:19

If that tackle had happened 20 minutes earlier none of this discussion would have taken place IMHO.

Posted by: vunipolae (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 16:46

Quote:
Dave Berko
If that tackle had happened 20 minutes earlier none of this discussion would have taken place IMHO.

Interesting you say that, in the 43rd minute Teo did exactly the same tackle Owen is being so cirticised for. He also did one in the first half with significantly less arms than Owen which forced a knock on. The tackle which led to the penalty SA scored from in the second half involved a shoulder to Kruis head.

Posted by: ExLoosehead (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 16:49

Typing as an unbiased Welshman I thought it definitely a RED card. Faz has loads of priors so should be looking at a week or three from the Citing Officer IMHO

Posted by: GazzaFez (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2018 16:55

Quote:
ExLoosehead
Typing as an unbiased Welshman I thought it definitely a RED card. Faz has loads of priors so should be looking at a week or three from the Citing Officer IMHO

Too late now. 24 Hrs is up.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net