Current Page: 1 of 4
Elliot Daly to Saracens?
Posted by: Yogz (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 16:41

So I have been hearing on a few podcasts that Elliot Daly's contract is coming up, and that he is being heavily linked with Saracens....thoughts on this?

Personally I am not sure where he would fit in, as Daly predominantly plays 13 for Wasps, and Loz and Tompkins are looking good at 13 for us already...wings, we have Maits, Williams, Stretts, Lewington...

I guess he gives an overall cover for 13, wing or 15, but I just can't see him starting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 16:42 by Jacques Burger.

Re: Elliot Daly to Saracens?
Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 16:51

Quote:
Jacques Burger
So I have been hearing on a few podcasts that Elliot Daly's contract is coming up, and that he is being heavily linked with Saracens....thoughts on this?
Personally I am not sure where he would fit in, as Daly predominantly plays 13 for Wasps, and Loz and Tompkins are looking good at 13 for us already...wings, we have Maits, Williams, Stretts, Lewington...

I guess he gives an overall cover for 13, wing or 15, but I just can't see him starting.
I agree, not sure where we'd fit him in on the pitch let alone with the salary cap as I doubt he'd be cheap...

Posted by: BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 17:03

We did actually debate this when it was first suggested in a previous thread about Jack Singleton, in November I think.
Its clear that the rumour isnt going away.
Daveed is only on a one year contract remember - and Celo is potentially retiring soon.
I dont think the cap will be the issue here - it is whether or not Mark and Kevin think they can use him - especially with him being away with England as well as the others.

Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 17:19

No. Just no.

Posted by: TOKS (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 17:48

Quote:
SarrieSaint
No. Just no.

Come on, if it hadn't been for dreadful refereeing he'd never have thrown that interception.

Oh, hang on....

Posted by: AP (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 21:21

Not to the point, and no offence meant, but I always feel uncomfortable when someone takes another person's name as their online identity (assuming you aren't actually the man, of course). "Jacques Burger is Armageddon live" or some such is fine.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Posted by: TonyTaff (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 07:48

Unless he retires from international rugby, it would be appallingly bad business to sign him.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Posted by: To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 08:48

Apart from replacing Chelo as the bloke who kicks the goals from the opposition half, I don't see a need for him.

In other news, Thomas Castaignede is also in talks to come back, Mike Rafter is in the frame to replace Schalk Burger when he retires and the ghost of Cliff Morgan will deputise for Faz when he's on international duty.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

Posted by: McSaracens (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 14:20

With Bosch and Strettle both likely to retire then would make perfect sense to me. Would be a frightening backline!

Wigglesworth
Farrell
Daly
Barritt
Lozowski
Williams
Goode

With just the likes of Spencer, Maitland, Lewington, Tomkins and Taylor in reserve!

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Posted by: GerryK (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 14:23

Quote:
McSaracens
With Bosch and Strettle both likely to retire then would make perfect sense to me. Would be a frightening backline!
Wigglesworth
Farrell
Daly
Barritt
Lozowski
Williams
Goode

With just the likes of Spencer, Maitland, Lewington, Tomkins and Taylor in reserve!

Would you really classify Maitland as a reservest

Posted by: Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 15:03

Unless Alex G leaves I can't see it happening.

Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 15:10

He would be a luxury and a very nice one, but he would be just that - a luxury.
My thoughts is that they would move Loz to 12 to replace Brad and then Daly would be 13.

We would suddenly have one of the quickest teams in Europe

I wouldn't say no, but then I don't think its a necessity- as others have said he would be expensive and not playing for us for half the season.

Posted by: mfc (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 15:52

Cannot see a reason to pay a guy to play a position he doesn’t play

Posted by: McSaracens (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 16:16

Gerry, yes I would if in this case. Daly is a better winger than Maitland IMO.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Posted by: JO'G (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 16:51

Quote:
McSaracens
Gerry, yes I would if in this case. Daly is a better winger than Maitland IMO.

not sure I agree with that synopsis

Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 17:36

DM suggesting close to a done deal. Will be disappointed if this happens. Another step down buying in rather than developing talent and another large salary. Poor business.

Posted by: Dolph42 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 18:18

I'm not sure why there is so much negativity, he's a Lion, extremely versatile and we've obviously got the Cap space (maybe a marquee player) and money for it. He might miss half the domestic season, but not the European one or playoffs. When it comes to April and May we will need as many players of his ilk as possible. There is no young player I see being able to step up to anywhere close to the same extent.

The Mail article also mentions Hughes to Bristol for £500k (a lot, but a good deal for them) and WLR to Japan. Also Mako back on Sunday and Billy against Wuss.

Posted by: Eric Browett (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 18:38

It's a no from me. I get great satisfaction and enjoyment seeing players like Nick Tompkins coming through the system to represent the first team. I don't see the need for him. We have enough players away as it is.

Posted by: flavman 35 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 19:13

Sorry but it is a no from me. The money would juat not be qprth it for me. Nick tompkins is quality

Posted by: Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 19:16

For me I'd take him,

Taylor is probably one more long term injury away from calling time on career unfortunately, Bosch is probably retiring end of Season, Barritt will have to retire at some point (unfortunately) Strettle probably will retire end of Season, Goode is 31 soon so still has a few years left and as much I love our academy guys, Daly's experience will be valuable to their development, Tompkins aside, the amount players like Gallagher and Crossdale and Morris will learn from Daly will be great, we always need a monster kicker when Bosch retires, also that could be potentially 12 top class England players in one squad.. incredible.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net