Current Page: 1 of 2
New year's laws
Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 11:54

So a new year is upon us I wonder which current laws would you like to see enforced more rigorously?

And secondly are there any slight changes you would make to the laws to improve the current game? Not talking about huge new rule changes but for example I'd like to see a rule that says only player participating in a lineout can be part of a resulting maul (plus scrum-half).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 12:07 by Sarriebone.

Re: New year's laws
Posted by: Garp285 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 12:05

Time for kicks reduced to 30 secs! Not sure it would improve game too much but does my head in watching a succession of kickers dance and posture on the spot for what seems like hours!

Posted by: BaltiBoy (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 12:12

Not so much a law change but I would like to see Refs get tougher with back chat. In the old days any back chat would be dealt with immediately with a yellow card, penalty or being marched back 10 metres.

Refs now give the individual or team a warning first before carrying out any actions.

This is what separated rugby refs from football refs in that backchat of any kind simply wasn't tolerated and the ref was respected at all times.

I feel that refs are are too lenient now and often shown a lack of respect. Refs must stop giving warnings for backchat, and just penalise the player immediately imho.

Cheers & Beers
BB

Posted by: TonyTaff (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 12:53

Quote:
BaltiBoy
Not so much a law change but I would like to see Refs get tougher with back chat. In the old days any back chat would be dealt with immediately with a yellow card, penalty or being marched back 10 metres.
Refs now give the individual or team a warning first before carrying out any actions.

This is what separated rugby refs from football refs in that backchat of any kind simply wasn't tolerated and the ref was respected at all times.

I feel that refs are are too lenient now and often shown a lack of respect. Refs must stop giving warnings for backchat, and just penalise the player immediately imho.

I couldn't agree more, however, the remedy is with the refs. In each changing room, before the match, the ref should end his address with:

"I do not approve of the recent trend of players talking disrespectfully to the officials. Any first offence will be penalised, without any onfield warning. Subsequent offences are liable to stricter sanction. Furthermore, I expect scrum halves to confine themselves to addressing their teammates; if I suspect that a remark is addressed to the opponents, let alone any of the officials, that will attract sanction also, again without onfield warning."

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 12:58

+1 Baltiboy.

Would be nice to see the scrum returned to being a means of restart rather than a vehicle for extracting penalties! Sarries somewhat frail scrum may have some bearing on my thoughts on that point!

Date: 06 January, 2019 13:05

I would like 'game values offence' specifically written into law, with examples of many of the annoying instances of gamesmanship, such as not putting the ball down immediately having been penalised, dummying from the base of a ruck, taking a conversion before the TMO has been consulted - the kicker should have to ask the ref if he may take the kick (Faz might have a problem with that one!), calling for a card, etc.

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 13:35

The scrum half @#$%& about at the end of the ridiculous ruck train. Hands on ball, game on.

Posted by: JO'G (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 13:40

Quote:
TonyTaff
I would like 'game values offence' specifically written into law, with examples of many of the annoying instances of gamesmanship, such as not putting the ball down immediately having been penalised, dummying from the base of a ruck, taking a conversion before the TMO has been consulted - the kicker should have to ask the ref if he may take the kick (Faz might have a problem with that one!), calling for a card, etc.

I was once referred by Geoffrey Archer, author and chairman of the conservative party. As well as making his bodyguard run the line with gun flapping about as he ran he penalised the oppo scrum half for persistent dummying. The official line was s penalty for being boring.

Date: 06 January, 2019 14:13

Quote:
JO'G
Quote:
TonyTaff

I was once referred by Geoffrey Archer, author and chairman of the conservative party. As well as making his bodyguard run the line with gun flapping about as he ran he penalised the oppo scrum half for persistent dummying. The official line was s penalty for being boring.

Since then, dummying from the scrum has been outlawed, but not from the ruck. In other news, the King has died and we have a new Queen! winking smiley

Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 16:42

Extending the ruck back towards your own line to protect the scrum half is one thing I'd like changed as well

Posted by: mrangry (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 17:18

For the rest of the game a player in front of the player with the ball is offside. But for a mail they are not. Not only that but the ball can be transferred back making another player offside. Be consistent, outlaw the rolling maul. It's not pretty, is encouraging offside and almost impossible to defend against. Not only that but the ABs and Exe will lose one of their main weapons

Posted by: Rupes (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 21:56

On the current state of affairs, if the referees kept marching people back 10 yards for backchat or general complaining then we as a team would be starting most phases from Row B of the relevant stand behind the posts...

Posted by: darktagnan (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2019 22:20

I'd like to see and end to taking out players before they join a ruck, as well as enforcing the laws about sealing off. If a player has not even put his hand on the ruck formation he simply cannot be touched never mind poleaxed simultaneously by two backrow forwards who are going off their feet to do it and are not themselves part of the ruck (if they are in front of the ball they are offside anyway)!
I'd also like to see all hands off the ball in a ruck situation within say 2 sec including the tackled player & the tackler. If they are off their feet they have no right to play the ball.
One more - punish defenders running (or walking!) blocking lines in front of a player catching a kick.
I have no problem with the comments above re respecting the officials either.

Posted by: Graeme D (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 09:10

Quote:
Rupes
On the current state of affairs, if the referees kept marching people back 10 yards for backchat or general complaining then we as a team would be starting most phases from Row B of the relevant stand behind the posts...

Row B ! More like car park B .

Posted by: Chops3 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 11:22

I would like to see crossing reduced to a free kick offence as it is normally a technical mistake/error rather than a deliberate act of foul play. It annoys me when an attacking team is running the ball and makes such a mistake and then gets hit for 3 points when resultant penalty is knocked over from the halfway line.

Also for free kicks, give the team that is awarded the free kick an additional option of a) a line out - attacking team throw, in line with the free kick offence, or b) the option to kick direct to touch for territory gain but with throw in conceded to the defending team. This may reduce the number of times that the attacking team choose the scrum option from a free kick (therefore reducing the number of scrums in the game).

The maul also needs sorting out to give the defending team a better chance of legally stopping it, however I have no idea what the answer to that problem is!!

Posted by: TOKS (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 13:53

With Friday evening regrettably still very fresh in my mind, how about keeping the existing laws but applying them equally to both teams?

Posted by: boomer! (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 16:20

Players holding on to the ball in touch. Just release the ball.

Players rushing to take a quick throw-in when a quick throw-in is not available to them.

Not straight line out throws being penalised.

Players drawing imaginary square shapes in the air in front of the ref asking for a TMO review

Players waving imaginary yellow/red cards at the ref.

Players (scrum halfs) intentionally throwing a pass at retreating opposition player to draw penalty.

Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 16:56

Quote:
TOKS
With Friday evening regrettably still very fresh in my mind, how about keeping the existing laws but applying them equally to both teams?
I thought Carley, scrum aside, was pretty fair in his incompetence. His overeagerness to tell Billy off cost Sale a perfectly good try!!

Posted by: GazzaFez (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 16:56

Quote:
TOKS

This, above all else. A thousand times over.

My particular pet hate for pointless laws is the 'double movement' rule when scoring a try. I have never seen the point of it in the first place and all it does is lead to endless arguments over did he, didn't he? Like many laws it is open to too much subjective interpretation. In my view you either ground the ball or you don't. A few wiggles here or there makes no difference. The manner in which this happens seems neither here nor there. I just cannot see how this law enhances the game in any way.

The other one is of course the forward pass. But I simply can't be bothered with that one; it's enough to sap the life out of you.

Posted by: Roger G (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 17:11

I would like to see clear outs policed properly, firstly by penalising players not coming through the gate, which happens all the time these days, and secondly stopping players launching themselves at the ruck with no intention of staying on their feet. Both of these would, I believe, result in talented back row players winning more turnovers, along with lowering the risk of head injury to attackers and defenders alike.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net