Aviva Premiership Team of the Year and MVP
Posted by: Big Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 15:31

With only 2 rounds to go I have been considering who would make an Aviva Premiership team of the year for 2016-17 regular season and it is a lot harder than I had considered. I would go with something like the following but with so many big players injured/busy with internationals it is a tricky business selecting a form XV for the entire year!

As a first draft I've gone with the following- It is unsurprisingly quite Wasps heavy and as they have been the top side this year but hopefully won't be seen as completely ridiculous (will admit the front row I have gone with what I see but won't pretend to know who the better scrummagers/dark art masters in the league);

1. Ellis Genge (Leicester)
2. Tommy Taylor (Wasps)
3. Tomas Francis (Exeter)
4. Josh Beaumont (Sale)
5. Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
6. Mark Wilson (Newcastle)/ Michael Rhodes (Saracens)
7. Jacob Rowan (Gloucester)/ Thomas Young (Wasps)
8. Louis Picamoles (Northampton)

9. Kahn Fotuali'i (Bath) / Francois Hougaard (Worcester) if had been fit longer
10. Gareth Steenson (Exeter)
11. Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath)
12. Jimmy Gopperth (Wasps)
13. Sam James (Sale)
14. Christian Wade (Wasps)
15. Alex Goode (Saracens)

With regards to the MVP I would personally say Hougaard has the biggest effect on his teams capabilities when fully fit but he was out for quite a long stretch of the year. As a result I would suggest maybe Gopperth for the player of the year as he has seemingly rolled back the years played out of position and is a real leader in the Wasps team full of big names and starlets. He is also top points scorer currently this year!

Re: Aviva Premiership Team of the Year and MVP
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 17:11

Agree with a lot of these.

Notable mentions - both Vunipolas and Itoje make such a difference when they are on the field. I think that Cips has done well at 10 (despite being a tool). Beale and Garvey would have to be there somewhere if they played more. Solomena has made an impression. Dan Cole rarely puts a foot wrong and Marler has finished strongly. Dan Robson?

Roko has had a season of two halves but may just cling on because I'm biased!

Date: 18 April, 2017 17:54

Quote:
BathMatt53
Agree with a lot of these.
Notable mentions - both Vunipolas and Itoje make such a difference when they are on the field. I think that Cips has done well at 10 (despite being a tool). Beale and Garvey would have to be there somewhere if they played more. Solomena has made an impression. Dan Cole rarely puts a foot wrong and Marler has finished strongly. Dan Robson?

Roko has had a season of two halves but may just cling on because I'm biased!

Agreed on the Vunipola's and Itoje (would even include Kruis in this too) but all have been injured/on international duty a lot of the year. Will no doubt all feature prominently in the season run in though!

Cipriani done well but Steenson pips him. Robson good also but has shared a lot of gametime with Simpson.

Beale/Garvey both influential but not played tons as with Solomona too.

Roko despite a slight drop in form recently still leads many statistical categories such as line breaks, metres made etc so is in on form even if his current form is not all that!

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 18:02

Steenson shared a lot of gametime with Slade. Tomas Francis is 3rd choice Ex TH isn't he? Only made 2 Prem starts for them.

Posted by: beastieboy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2017 21:59

Roko has really gone off the boil in my opinion, think he needs a good long holiday.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 07:30

I would pick the entire Sarries team en masse and nominate Itoje as the MVP. They are so much better than any other team in this league, it's scary.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 07:41

Certainly a mix of the wasps and Sarries teams wouldn't be much to argue about.

Date: 19 April, 2017 09:27

Quote:
beastieboy
Roko has really gone off the boil in my opinion, think he needs a good long holiday.

I think that's a little harsh is it not? He scored a brace of tries against Brive only a couple of weeks ago!

He didn't see much ball against Leicester or Worcester but on the wing that is not all his fault! I wouldn't say he is that bad at the moment!!

Posted by: Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 13:34

Quote:
hasta
Steenson shared a lot of gametime with Slade. Tomas Francis is 3rd choice Ex TH isn't he? Only made 2 Prem starts for them.

He copped a ban and then was on international duty with Wales for the 6N. Exe's front-row rotation is such that I don't know how they'd rank for sure, but he's either 1st or 2nd choice.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 13:40

He's started for Ex twice and benched 5 times in the prem. He's had a two-week ban. Anyway, I wouldn't have him in the Prem team of the year!

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 20:30

Here's a variation on the theme

Best XV from the AP teams. At least one player from each of the current 12 and no more than 2 from any one club

1. Genge (tigs)
2. George (sarries)
3. Wilson (falcons)
4. Welch (exe)
5. Itoje (sarries)
6. Moriaty (glaws)
7. Louw (bath)
8. Picamoles (saints)
9. Kahn (bath)
10. Gopperth (wasps)
11. Visser (quins)
12. Te'o (wuss)
13. Daly (wasps)
14. Solomona (sale)
15. Woodward (briz)

Well that was my top procrastination activity for the day!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net