Genia
Posted by: BathSalmon (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 11:19

Reading this morning's tweets from Gavin Mortimer in France that Will Genia is unlikely to move at the end of the season because if he does he would owe Stade Francais the remaining fee which they need to pay Bath when buying him out of his contract with us.

Apparently the agreed fee between the clubs was 300k, of which Stade still owe us 200k!

Add to the George Ford / Freddie Burns net transfer money, this would give a tidy sum of money for the club to either reinvest in the club, bank or use to buy another player out of a contract.

I think I had assumed they would have paid in full at the time.

Salmon

Adopted Player 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

Re: Genia
Posted by: The Oilman (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 11:21

Even more like football, "transfer fees" spread over a period.

Date: 21 April, 2017 11:29

Wonder if we are still owed anything from Burgess?

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 11:45

Perhaps we could have Genia, rather than the money? I appreciate it's not going to happen, and that his past shenanigans don't exactly reflect well. But he is pretty much the perfect profile for another scrum-half to share starts with Kahn, and 6 years younger.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 11:49

He is currently injured and has been for a while, do scrum halves get rusty if the are not used? Wouldn't it depend on what he wants as wages, I got the impression he was rather greedy.

Date: 21 April, 2017 11:52

Not sure I would want this...

On paper, he'd be fantastic, but having backed out of the previous contract, is he the sort of character we want at the club?

We've done well recently to remove the more divisive characters from our squad, would this be a backward step?

I kind of view him as a bit of a mercenary now.

Posted by: quanco (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 13:36

I just want us to have someone who's experienced enough to share the shirt with Kahn whilst still young enough to learn as much as he has to offer.

Purely out of curiosity, and without wanting to derail the thread, who would you deem to be "the more divisive characters" you mentioned Mr Salmon?

Adam Hastings/Bath Rugby - Adopted Player 2016/17

Date: 21 April, 2017 13:50

Burgess, Eastmond, Ford (senior), even Mafi caused the odd issue.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 14:32

Quote:
BathSalmon

It's hard to say who was divisive, you could add Devoto, Fearns, Henson or you could blame Ford Sr for all of them

Date: 21 April, 2017 14:49

Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
BathSalmon

It's hard to say who was divisive, you could add Devoto, Fearns, Henson or you could blame Ford Sr for all of them

Just my take on the reports / stories at the time.

Eastmond for walking out during Sale away.

Burgess for backing out of his contract and players that had been so accomodating after being touted as the 'saviour' etc

Ford for all his mismanagement of players.

Mafi for doing something bad enough that he was released immediately from his contract.

Wouldnt call Fearns divisive ( he just felt he had to move on to get game time with Burgess situation)

Devoto similar to Fearns - although maybe for a young player he could have been a little more patient.

Henson I'm not sure there was an issue there.

Posted by: Ade1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 14:59

The only issue with Henson was dealt with by Fearns, so arguably by losing Fearns we lost a cohesive member of the squad.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 15:14

Henson was clearly fit and not being picked when he was released to Bristol, so I reckon there was something going on there. Whether it was down to him or Ford, who knows?

Fearns left because of Ford, he'd already signed for Lyon before Burgess arrived. He was second choice 6 (behind Garvey), 7 (behind Flo) and 8 (Leroy) but he clearly liked Gold and did not like Ford.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 15:23

Quote:
hasta
Henson was clearly fit and not being picked when he was released to Bristol, so I reckon there was something going on there. Whether it was down to him or Ford, who knows?
Fearns left because of Ford, he'd already signed for Lyon before Burgess arrived. He was second choice 6 (behind Garvey), 7 (behind Flo) and 8 (Leroy) but he clearly liked Gold and did not like Ford.

Yes that's what i meant the fact he got dropped for some time, signed a contract to go to bristol, then got released 4 months early(ish) when he was still needed. I may have got the sequence wrong.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 18:54

There will be cheaper players of quality, possibly younger too whom we could target.

In a different position I think Northampton have done good deal getting Piers Francis for 10 (he can also play 12). Perhaps we need a player like that to back up Khan (and to be groomed to succeed him)?

Or- if this summer proves his worth, make a move for Maunder?

PG

Posted by: Which Tyler (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2017 22:07

IMO Exeter are going to struggle to keep both Maunder and Townsend happy, and you'd think both would be open to an offer come January.

Pity we didn't nab Spencer a couple of years ago

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

Posted by: Rawce (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2017 00:00

I thought Henson was out injured for us when it was announced he was off to Bristol. I could be wrong, it's happened at least once in the past.

Posted by: Which Tyler (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2017 06:26

Quote:
Rawce
I thought Henson was out injured for us when it was announced he was off to Bristol. I could be wrong, it's happened at least once in the past.
My memory agrees - he was out injured for a good couple of months, leaving us without a front-line kicker; so we swapped him out, allowing Tom Homer in.
Gav made a miraculous recovery over about 3 days before making his Bristol debut that same weekend.

It always smelled a little fishy TBH.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Beno Obano - 2016-17 adoptee
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=117

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2017 06:27 by Which Tyler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net